Neptune Sky

Emmanuel32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently am running (4) Reef Led 90's on my 72x26x24 and am interested in the Neptune Sky. Anybody have any pros and cons on the Skys?

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running (4) Reef Led 90's on my 72x26x24 and am interested in the Neptune Sky. Anybody have any pros and cons on the Skys?
I've got two Sky on my 48x20x20. Pro is they have good coverage and I like how they look. They diffuse light nicely. Con is I'm finding myself thinking about adding another light cause at 100% with AB+ setting im only getting like 400ish par at top of my rocks. If I use another spectrum I could get a bit more. Also they don't have as many adjustable colors as radions. Nice light overall and I've been happy - just try and get on sale or at good discount

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like how they can mount on the ecotec rail since I can't hang/ suspend anything over tank
PXL_20230408_194016772.jpg

Last edited:

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, unless you're a HUGE Apex fan and want everything to match, I'm not sure why anyone would be considering the Sky. There are other lights that are better at everything, and several of them for a lot less money.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a pair over my 210 mixed reef. Swapped over from 4 Kessil a360x. I was part of the NSI testing so this pair has been in service prior to public release. Reliable. No issues. No noticeable degradation in performance (PAR). Look brand new from top to bottom. Most of the negative initial feedback on build quality has proven to be false. The top isn't sticky. The fans work. There is no condensation build up or salt creep. Neptune did a good job. This is just me being honest with my feedback after extended use.

With regards to PAR numbers. Here are mine. The beauty with Neptune is that I can leave the par meter in place and flip between preset spectrums and take measurements. I was calculating DLI numbers so set intensity to a number, selected pre-set, measured, and repeated. PAR across spectrums is pretty decent. Neptune Sky and Coral Growth leading the pack which is expected as they are closer to full 100% across all channels. The rest are not too far apart with their grouping. Note my display is 54 x 30 x 30. Skys are mounted 8" above waterline. The measurement below is taken mid level of the display. Tool used to measure - Seneye. It is a tool. Affordable. Consistent. And works. It isn't an apogee I know but again as long as I do the same step, follow the process, it provides a consistent number. It is what I have.

Let us talk about pro's. It is a light. Lots of spread. Easy to setup. Easy to use. Lots of pre-built in spectrums. No noise. Two fans - redundant. Integrates with controller. Nice connection fittings. Nice power supply. Blue Tooth and decent range.

Let us talk about con's. Price (subjective I know). BRS merger.

I don't have a lot of negative feedback because I haven't experienced anything negative. The light works just like any other would over my system. Kessil's before it worked great. In fact prior to receiving my lights Terrence personally reached out to me to explain that the SKY's do not shimmer like Kessil's. If that was important to me than I shouldn't buy these lights. He didn't need to do that but he did and I found it very helpful.

Would my tank grow coral faster with other lights? I don't know. I don't believe so. Would I be successful using other lights? Of course. There is more to success than just lights. What lights would I consider should they get discontinued? I would look at Philips Coral Care Gen 2 or Reef Fi Uno 2.0.

There was a 25% off sale they had last year and it was amazing. Probably the perfect price point. If I wasn't buying the SKY's I would recommend looking at the Reef Fi's. Look at @telegraham review on them. He is a honest person and won't steer you wrong.

TL: DR - all things aside if I was asked today I would recommend a hold due to the BRS, Neptune, and Ecotech situation. Business sense means duplication of products needs to be reviewed for cost reasons. I don't know how they are running each of those departments or treating them as separate entities but if you don't need them today it would be wise to wait and see what happens. If you are interested in SKY's that is.
All the best to you.

1688757963189.png

FTS:
1688760427887.png

1688760456439.png

Colony example:
1688760487827.png

Frag example:
1688760520917.png

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues. No noticeable degradation in performance (PAR). Look brand new from top to bottom. Most of the negative initial feedback on build quality has proven to be false. The top isn't sticky. The fans work. There is no condensation build up or salt creep. Neptune did a good job.
Appreciate the kind words!

Even with a legit teardown, my Sky has been solid. To your point, I certainly wouldn't pay full price, but anything under $600 would be a good enough deal.

My thoughts...the top will get sticky like my Gen 3 XR30s. It is just a matter of years. Although the fans work, the screens' pore size is too tight. The air path is clean inside, so buildup would be minimal (if any). I've seen two posts from Levenson since he got his about cleaning screens. YMMV, but I'd pull my light's screen or replace them with larger pore screens if I ran it full-time. Think how an AI Prime's screen gets clogged up...it's like that.

No condensation (that's a weird fear) and no salt creep (also weird).

But, yeah, that ReeFi Uno Pro 2.0 is a beast. I paid the pre-order price and am happy I have it!

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooz can you tell me which lights you think are better for way less $$? My hydra just melted on one of my tanks and I'm looking for a replacement.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back