Neptune systems DOS and Two part dosing

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a second-hand Apex setup that came with a DOS. Am I right in assuming that this is a continuous duty dosing pump and can dose 24/7? Can it be used with a calcium reactor and so forth?

I am initially looking to use it to dose ATI essentials pro which needs to be staggered with time between part 1 and part 2.

But after looking into how this works it looks like the DOS doses continually over the set time period which would not be ideal.

Is anyone else using it for ATI essentials pro and how have you got it running?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is it possible to stagger the dose of each part so they dont mix.
Very important to stagger the dosing of the 2 part or else it will precipitate and cause havoc in your aquarium.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very important to stagger the dosing of the 2 part or else it will precipitate and cause havoc in your aquarium.
I know that but the point of this post is that it doesn't look like the dos do this by default? They are talking about dosing calcium during the day and alk at night. That is the opposite of what you would want and is really crap.

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that but the point of this post is that it doesn't look like the dos do this by default? They are talking about dosing calcium during the day and alk at night. That is the opposite of what you would want and is really crap.
The default set up is continuous dosing, I think cause it’s easier to change and probably the chance of these drops mixing isn’t as much as we think.

That said, I two part dose into a low flow area and wanted to split it up. There are (better) posts about this but basically you can go through the task function (scheduling continuous) OR just find your way to the schedule page below. Then you can hit the orange gear to modify intervals or add intervals. As you can see I have alk doing those 3 intervals and then CA doses in between. My tank is small and the uptake is modest so I can get away with short CA intervals at the moment.

The trouble is now I have to go to each interval if I want to modify the daily dose. So probably continuous (or 12 hrs for one and 12 for the other) is easier. Less intervals is best.

You can also find posts about schedule based attempts to stagger the dosing. Start Alk at 01:00 and Ca at 01:05 and apex hopefully schedules doses separated by enough time to be ok. You can check this out in interval summary by clicking that gear.

I will add that that’s Red Sea alk at a 1:1 rodi dilution in case the numbers are confusing in a small tank.

7CE582D3-A6FB-44E8-8DAF-FB777CC57D4E.jpg

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that seems to make sense. I want to dose my alk in 66:33 ratio so most is dosed during the day and 33% over the night time period. I would then just have the calcium track this but start each interval later?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea you set the time points and then it automatically breaks it down to even intervals . So the example above since its with such low amts over such a long period it must tryand dose .2 ml at a time . I'm not sure or it will just do 1 ml every hr since that's even . Now if he shortened it to 2 hours , it was dose 2ml at a time . So your in control by adjusting time really

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that seems to make sense. I want to dose my alk in 66:33 ratio so most is dosed during the day and 33% over the night time period. I would then just have the calcium track this but start each interval later?
You could do that for sure. But, like I said, it might be more work than it’s worth.

My mind is a little blown honesty with using a Ca reactor AND 2-part Calcium. I’ll hold off on speculation of what that would mean and see what others with reactor experience think.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back