Neptune Systems FMK Installation | BRStv How-To

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Today we are embarking on our new BRStv series of How-To videos! In conjunction with future videos on Science & Theory and Selection, our goal for these videos is to help dive deeper, beyond the packaging and manufacturer's bullet points, to show you what all this reef gear is all about. :)

I hope you enjoy today's installment and perhaps take away a bit of information you may not have known before!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested, I found push connect adapters that connect directly to the 1/2" BSPP thread on the 1/2" flow sensors. These are significantly shorter than the solution BRS showed in the video and have a rubber gasket included.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-2513-john-guest-female-adapter-cone-end-bspp-12-x-12-bspp.aspx

IMG_4015.JPG

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested, I found push connect adapters that connect directly to the 1/2" BSPP thread on the 1/2" flow sensors. These are significantly shorter than the solution BRS showed in the video and have a rubber gasket included. https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-2513-john-guest-female-adapter-cone-end-bspp-12-x-12-bspp.aspx
IMG_4015.JPG

PERFECT! This is exactly why we post the videos here on R2R!

Thanks so much for sharing and helping us all save precious space! :D

-Randy

MIReefer78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video! Can't wait to see what's to come. Apex programming how to's would be amazing!

MIReefer78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to plumb the 1" sensor for my return pump using the soft tubing that came with my reefer 170. I believe the tubing is 3/4" but not positive. What size spigot x barb would I need?

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I undestand the BSPT and then converting it to NPT. Just a waste of space. And I hope that the sensors aren't made in China. Because the BSPT usually means just that. But I could be way off base.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I undestand the BSPT and then converting it to NPT. Just a waste of space. And I hope that the sensors aren't made in China. Because the BSPT usually means just that. But I could be way off base.

These flow sensors are made with a BSPP thread, not BSPT. BSPP is a parellel thread and won't seal against an NPT (tapered thread).

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These flow sensors are made with a BSPP thread, not BSPT. BSPP is a parellel thread and won't seal against an NPT (tapered thread).

This is from the Neptune site...........
To connect your two FS-50 Flow sensors, we have included in the FMK, two 1/2″ BSPT -> 1/2″ Slip PVC Adapters. (North American markets only)

BSPT fittings are not used so much in North America. Unless the equiment has been imported. Usually from China or Japan.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from the Neptune site...........
To connect your two FS-50 Flow sensors, we have included in the FMK, two 1/2″ BSPT -> 1/2″ Slip PVC Adapters. (North American markets only)

BSPT fittings are not used so much in North America. Unless the equiment has been imported. Usually from China or Japan.

BSPT (British standard pipe thread) are similar to NPT, but the thread profile is different and will not seal properly if matching BSPT with NPT. I just checked my flow sensors and both the 1" and 1/2" sensors utilize a straight thread with no taper meaning these are BSPP (british standard parallel pipe).

@Terence, maybe you can clear this up?

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSPT (British standard pipe thread) are similar to NPT, but the thread profile is different and will not seal properly if matching BSPT with NPT. I just checked my flow sensors and both the 1" and 1/2" sensors utilize a straight thread with no taper meaning these are BSPP (british standard parallel pipe).

@Terence, maybe you can clear this up?

It would appear some explanation is needed. These quotes are both taken from Neptunes site for the FMK.

To connect your FS-100 Flow sensor, we have included in the FMK, two 1″ BSPT -> 1″ Slip PVC Unions. (North American markets only)

Flow Sensor – 1″ (FS-100)
Usually used with a return pump, this flow sensor can be placed in line with the flow on any pipe, connected to the FMM, and communicate to your Apex the flow rate of water through that pipe. The flow sensor itself uses BSPP threads so for North American customers we have included two specially designed PVC unions with slip fittings to adapt it to standard 1″ PVC plumbing. The FS-100 will work with flow rates from 150-1500 gph.

And I wasn't really looking for an explanation of BSPT and NPT. I know the difference and it's about 5degrees.
What I was eluding to was the fact that having BSPT or BSPP set off a "RED FLAG" for me. In that I want to know whether the sensors are made in China or not. Guess I should have been more direct. Still doesn't explain why they have two different types of thread indicated.

Kurt Grant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fmk question I just got the apex optic sensor for my sump.When I do a water change ill like it to activate my Reservoir pump can I program my apex to have a 5 min delay before it activates the pump? If so what should I put?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fmk question I just got the apex optic sensor for my sump.When I do a water change ill like it to activate my Reservoir pump can I program my apex to have a 5 min delay before it activates the pump? If so what should I put?

Sure! For all of the programming that I've done with delays I use statements like this one..

Defer 005:00 Then ON

That should allow a 5-min wait after the power returns to the Apex (or after a feed mode) before the outlet comes back ON. :)

-Randy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back