Neptune Trident

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The release is a rushed, hot mess. I'm not sure how anyone can really defend what this has turned into. Well I know at least a few will, apparently this is all going by the books if you subscribe to all the marketing and idol worship going on around here.

I really believe it was because of the competition about to be released and they had to , but yea i agree hot mess

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The release is a rushed, hot mess. I'm not sure how anyone can really defend what this has turned into. Well I know at least a few will, apparently this is all going by the books if you subscribe to all the marketing and idol worship going on around here.

Agreed that there were problems. BUT - since there is this maintenance requirement - I can also see why they staggered release - do you think they want 10,000 units all being sent in at the same time for maintenance? I'm not a Neptune fanboy. Certainly not dying to be one of the first people to start using this (I was one of the first who got an Apex 2016) - and it was one of the units that had 'defective chips' that caused not 1 but 2 tank crashes when the unit just started malfunctioning. (I know that glitches can happen with any product) - so part of their slow release may also relate to some of the issues that occurred with the Apex 2016.

PS part of the problem relates to the retailers as well.

Jon M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that there were problems. BUT - since there is this maintenance requirement - I can also see why they staggered release - do you think they want 10,000 units all being sent in at the same time for maintenance? I'm not a Neptune fanboy. Certainly not dying to be one of the first people to start using this (I was one of the first who got an Apex 2016) - and it was one of the units that had 'defective chips' that caused not 1 but 2 tank crashes when the unit just started malfunctioning. (I know that glitches can happen with any product) - so part of their slow release may also relate to some of the issues that occurred with the Apex 2016.

You’re assuming people will do the maintenance and all at once. People are lazy and will push the product to its limits. Also they are cheap so I wouldn’t see this as the main reason for a staggered release. This seems more like classic small company issues.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re assuming people will do the maintenance and all at once. People are lazy and will push the product to its limits. Also they are cheap so I wouldn’t see this as the main reason for a staggered release. This seems more like classic small company issues.

It could be any number of reasons. They probably needed revenue from the first units to make more as well. BTW - if I had this unit - I would not be lazy - and push the product to its limits. I would assume the buyers want accurate alkalinity measurements - (because I'm sure people dont want to be using other tests to 'check' their trident') - I guess I stand by the possibility that if they had sold enough tridents to 'everyone that wanted one' the maintenance program would be a disaster - even if as you said - people pushed the product to the limit (in 18 months).

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defended some of it early on with the retail release, even was still on the fence about it but quite frankly the arrogant attitude and snide comments by the king of marketing here and on other media platforms, combined with some previous releases.. it's probably going to push me out of the ecosystem.

Retailers can be held to account, it's quite simple, but they love what's going on. All this chaotic hype it's generating, look at this thread and countless others out there. People are close to fighting each-other for this product, because it has been so hyped, everything else so dismissed as to be utter garbage, it's the epitome of blind fervor.

And you know what, it all detracts from the fact the product currently works as designed. That's all that should matter, it works within the benefits, constraints and costs presented. If left solely with that, almost none of this would have been granted relevancy, but it hasn't. In spite of the fact it works, everything else has been lumped on top of things, and not only by the rabble. Neptune have created the very storm they are now complaining about, it is literally the meme of the guy cycling down the street, putting a stick in his spoke then blaming that it made him crash on someone else.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that there were problems. BUT - since there is this maintenance requirement - I can also see why they staggered release - do you think they want 10,000 units all being sent in at the same time for maintenance?

Not just maintenance, but initial customer support.
The Trident is fairly easy to setup but is still fairly complex, and people will have more questions and issues than with most pieces of new equipment.
If they put a thousand of them out there for sale at once, I have no doubt they would be overwhelmed with customer support calls.
Did they push the release? I don't think so. Beta testing was winding down and it was clear that the Trident would be ready for sale any day.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be a local LFS there.

Doubtful. There's one LFS in Woodstock and I'm there every week. They are a store for beginners. They are extremely nice and have a clean store but they don't sell high end tech because it doesn't fit their customer base.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to all the above remarks about Neptune not putting out enough Tridents because they’re concerned about support calls and maintenance, is and no offense to anyone above, bogus. That’s like saying that Samsung will only put our X number of new flat screens because they’re concerned with the overwhelming amount of calls for tech support. These companies are in this to make a profit. Even Apples new iPhone release every year leave most people who want the new phone without it until supply get back up unless you want to wait in line outside the Apple store for 2 days. Only difference is that Apple will sell 10 million phones the first week, compared to the hundred Tridents that Neptune produced. The problem with Neptune is that they didn’t manufacture enough units for the demand they’d face. They knew demand would be high as this product has been hyped for YEARS. This was extremely poor planning on the supply chain effort for Neptune. As these units are made in China I have no doubt they could run the manufacturing process 24/7 until the demand is met. The only logical thing that I can come to a conclusion on it is that they are concerned with the unit itself failing prematurely and the company being on the hook for 5000 warranty claims in the first six months. My local fish store is the top producing Neptune distributor in the country, and they are only getting one unit per week. Seriously Neptune? One a week? You guys building these things in your basement?

Other than that, the company did a great job selling the controller with all the hype that the consumer will have a Trident to go along with it.

Last edited:

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the day I’d been waiting for at least 2 years so far has come!!! Just finished with all the firmware updates in my apex and modules and getting ready for tomorrow all day installing and playing with the TRIDENT [emoji823] main and unique weapon from Poseidon the God from Oceans and thunderstorms [emoji23]. I’ll open and star my tank thread after 3 years and getting the main component.

KUDOS to Crimsons Reef [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

7db682f11d3e774de3209c3804dbff1b.jpg
23d6f1744f1d07f3ac83b07b6eec4c09.jpg
e56ef4d700f35997eecbc9204606facf.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems more like classic small company issues.

I’ve no particular insight into Neptune, but I have been a manufacturing/supply chain guy my entire career and that’d be my guess also. I do not know how Neptune raises capital (haven’t heard that the aquarium industry is attracting large amounts of venture capital funding), but working capital to fund launch inventories IS a challenge for many small companies. That the components for the trident are sourced internationally and the assembly done domestically just makes the supply chain more complex. Heck, if Neptune had chosen to further delay the launch in order to build more pipeline inventory there’d be a bunch of people complaining about that too. All this shall pass - by the middle of the Summer I imagine all who want one will have one and there will be stock everywhere. Just don’t buy one off eBay!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back