Neptune Trident

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by geversole01, Oct 5, 2018.

1. geversole01

geversole01 Active Member R2R Supporter

Anyone else ready to give up on the Trident and look at alkatronic or another alk monitor?

Tags:

2. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Already did and am so happy I did

3. Steven Postalwait

Steven Postalwait Member

Not quite, but only because I told myself I’d never pay for a DOS. Then I saw the trident, now I have multiple. But still no trident.

4. nemesistundra85

nemesistundra85 Active Member

How’s the alkatronic working and any advice?

5. geversole01

I'm very close to getting the alkatronic once it's back in stock. Tired of no real info on the Trident.

6. hart24601

hart24601 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'm ok still waiting.

Been doing this hobby for many years, little longer without it is ok and I want it to be fully vetted.

mdbannister and Tft12 like this.
  7. roberthu526

roberthu526 Well-Known Member

Already gave up. Trident is going to be the next biggest thing for Neptune forever.

Cliff717 and MyReefRobbedMe like this.
  8. Fritzhamer

Fritzhamer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I have faith that they're making the trident better and better before they release it. People love to hate on them but they've put out some quality stuff as of late. I think they got heat for releasing things before they were ready and they've taken that feedback and improved. I understand that they have some prototypes out there and once they get them ready they'll begin testing them at large.

JoshH and geversole01 like this.
  9. tdileo

tdileo Valuable Member

I say just wait it out. For everything the Trident has, it is going to be an incredible advancement for any serious reefkeeper and at $900 for the Alkatronic I would say the Trident will be a considerably better “bang for your buck” since it does the big 3. Tough out the wait hopefully no more than a few more months, you’ll probably regret not waiting. I know with my luck, I could order the product because I gave up and a week later Trident would get a release date LOL.
    I know Neptune wants this released by the holidays as long as everything is going well, but I’m sure don’t want to give us a product not as close to perfect as possible. I believe that giving them to time to work out any bugs with it and let it be time tested will be worth it. Just my .02 :)

sromero287, dingo2031 and Tft12 like this.
  10. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

What exactly does the trident have at this point in time? Can it do this for anyone besides five people? 1E7B11AE-63A2-4A58-BE00-94C8361AC69A.png
    All it has is a bunch of promises No one has seen except on a demo unit it has a promised release date of second quarter this year.... that was over four months ago

We have gave them time they have given us nothing but release date after release date till all the sudden not a peep for the last quarter.

I’m done with the trident esp after having the kh gaurdian

@geversole01 I cannot speak of the alktronic but the kh gaurdian with the AIM has been nothing but amazing for me I got mine for less the 300 and still use it with my apex and my Corals have never looked better I rather give my money to someone who isn’t trying to sell me on something that might never come

11. Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder Active Member

I have the KH monitor by dr bridge, it’s amazing, flawless. I also have every bell and whistle for the apex, with 6 flow monitors, couple ph probs, 3 FMM, 2 eb32, ect........ will no doubt buy the trident when it releases, Bc of the other 2 factors, just to have the readings. Maybe even keep the KH monitor I have. Hands down wouldn’t give up. It’s gonna be the best thing out. Even these company’s that have KH testing are not doing all 3, worth the wait + the price base is amazing.

ReefTeacher likes this.
  12. geversole01

It is very frustrating that there is absolutely no info from Neptune on this device. All we keep hearing is coming soon. There were hopes that it would be released at Macna but obviously that did not happen. With no info and now we are months past the 2nd quarter it really makes me wonder if they are having issues with the Trident actually working or is it just production problems. I too want a well polished Trident if and when it's released but some info on why it's taking so long, issues they are having or a release date would be great. If we could get something from Neptune it may calm some of the haters down. Hopefully by Christmas it's released.

13. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I think some of you need to take the emotion out of it. Neptune isn't exactly a large company and while they have a pretty good product line and overall ecosystem there is a lot of effort into launching a new product. I mean honestly take a step back and think about what the device does based on the information you have. If it doesn't measure consistently and you automate something to act based on that information, and it is wrong...think of the complaints then. Not just applicable to Neptune but any of the vendors that are selling measurement units.

In this case the Trident is going to play a pretty large role in their automation ecosystem. It dang well better be right and consistent after launch. Otherwise they will be in for a lot of trouble. So my stance is simple. It is ready when it is ready. Similar to the Cor pumps. Glad they waited because the pumps work great. Now compare that to a similar product that had to revise their product line.

mch1984, ReefdUp, mr9iron and 3 others like this.
  14. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

I don't see what the big deal is with the trident. I don't know why you would want to test calcium and magnesium multiple times a day. Alkalinity is the only one I would test multiple times a day. Calcium is a once a week test and magnesium is twice a month. Now if it did alk, nitrates and phosphates I would be interested.

15. DangerDave

DangerDave Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I got the KH guardian a couple months ago. It works, and I appreciate the functionality. Its frustrating though dealing with repeated different errors. They just sent me a new ph probe for it, I’m hoping it helps. Right now I’m assuming I’ll be replacing this something else. I’m waiting for the trident to see how the reviews go. Who knows maybe by then I’ll get this thing dialed.

Rick Strauss and Dan Snyder like this.
  16. justingraham

Was it us or neptune that told us a date?

They didn’t have to do that but they did and told us to sell all our old apex to get maximum dollar for the units as the trident won’t work for them
    which I did because of the trident only to come and find out that when the trident was supposed to be released we can now buy the new brain but no news of the trident on the horizon.
    If neptune came out and said we have the trident coming out but we have no time table on when the consumers will get it I wouldn’t have a problem at all but to claim that without a doubt this won’t be like the Cor (watch the Mr saltwater tank video from Macna last year) and will be out in the second quarter of next year when the alktronic and the ghl were both coming out at the same time is a horrible way to sell an item.
    I know a couple people who were going to go the ghl route until they heard about the trident and I know a couple more who were unable to get the alktronic because they waited to long for trident and the alktronic sold out.
    So I shouldn’t take it personal? They made a claim that I took serious and did everything I could do to ensure I was ready for the trident when they new darn well it wasn’t going to be ready in time but they had no problem selling me a new apex. I shouldn’t take it personal that Terrance told me to sell my old apex for top dollar because they will not sell the new brain. I shouldn’t take it personal that my hard earned money was wasted on a lie? I shouldn’t take it personal that a company I have heavily supported with my money only wants more of my money?

And that brings us to ur last statement I’m guessing ur talking about Ecotech another company I support. Their comparable pump to the Cor 20 has had no problems in fact I get better flow and less Watts with it then with my Cor 20 which also has this high pitched hum in the pvc. Ecotechs pump that puts out 1100 more gph has had some problems but they have owned it in fact I had one burn up and without a receipt or anything they sent me a new one no questions asked two years after the warranty was up.
    U claim neptune doesn’t want to put out a bad product how about the AFS (I have sent two back already) or the WAV’s (have had one of them go out and shut down my apex) and I’m one of countless customers who have had the same problem. Neptune’s only saving grace for me is they do stick behind their warranty and Steve I think his name is is a very nice down to earth guy.

So no I won’t take emotion out of it neptune did it to themselves trying to pinch an extra couple of pennies out of us. I bet if or rather when Ecotech brings a controller out to market it will be out when they say it will be out because they won’t need to tell everyone they are working on something because their name sells the product something Neptune’s name used to do. Now they are more worried about selling controllers to people who already have their controllers.

The kh guardian has opened my eyes in multiple ways for the better. Sure the first couple of days I was double and triple checking the KHG and I have run into some problems (none lasting more then a day) but after it has earned my trust it has been one less thing (a major thing I was worried about I tested every day twice a day now it’s like once a month to make sure the machine is good) I have to worry about in a hobby that in a blink of eye we can loose everything. I set up alerts that if anything goes out of whack i am going to know And I’m glad I got it and didn’t wait any longer for something that is more then likely a year or two away.

JoshH, Forsaken77, DHill6 and 7 others like this.
  17. roberthu526

roberthu526 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that Neptune is trying to figure out how to make it absolutely NOT compatible with the older models. After all all Apex share the same Fusion interface and the fundamental platforms are the same. I find it suspicious that they said Trident had to be connected to the 2016 model to work. They know there are ton of engineers and scientists in this hobby and it wouldn’t take long before someone figure out that it was possible to make the trident work with older models. After all trident was a main reason many people upgraded to the 2016 model, including myself.

Cliff717, MyReefRobbedMe and wesman42 like this.
  18. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I cannot imagine any of that is even remotely true ..... doesn't even make any business sense LOL. Patience is a virtue, particularly in this hobby, on multiple levels. I'm with the earlier comment about a fully vetted 'solution'. I've run reef tanks for 30 years without automated alk monitoring .....

My guess is they're having trouble getting it to work reliably in a commercially reproducible way. Neptune do have a habit of jumping the announcement gun. Of course a conspiracy theory that throws logic and common sense to the wind is much more fun.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Fritzhamer and DangerDave like this.
  19. DangerDave

DangerDave Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

The timing of the announcement was a marketing move. They wanted their customers knowing that they were working on a solution. There were multiple options coming on the market.

20. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Sean1986, Rick Strauss and Tristren like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted