Neptune trident

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it paired with the Dos.
Pros are you don’t have to test, obviously. I trust the result but sometimes confirm with Salifert. It’s usually right on.
Con is the fluid can get pricey depending on how many times per day you test.

Overall, I’d buy it again if I had to do it all over.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine. Now that 6 month reagent packs are available, it brought the monthly price down. Its worked well thus far.

U

User1

View Badges
Hard to find but well worth the wait. Someone posted in the are they ever in stock thread that BRS had availability this morning. A few of us went back and forth to keep checking and a few people actually got them in and out of their cart :) Pretty cool.

If you have have an Apex already then it really is the financially smart choice. That is if you are happy with the Apex overall, it does what you want, and do you do not see yourself changing any time soon. Already having the controller means you are really only out of 600 bucks + tax if applicable. Month later you find a 6 month reagent supply for another 100 bucks and you are set depending on your testing frequency.

If you do not have an Apex or are not planning then you have a couple options. In this case take stock of what you want to do, how much you want to spend, and what is available today, possibly tomorrow, and what your time frame is. That will guide you a bit further. Two main I would consider is again Neptune / Apex first, GHL secondary. If you say you are more than 6 months out then I'd say maybe Mindstream. I'm biased though because I had an Apex already so went with the Trident.

With that out of the way here is the skinny. People bring up reagents and count that as a negative. Well, we have been using reagents since we started this hobby and it isn't going to change any time soon. Furthermore, we used reagents in our childhoods playing with chemistry sets. I'll go so far as to say hospitals are still using reagent base tests in some cases. Doesn't mean we can't move forward just pointing out that while some say it is bad and the other better it is noise. Reagents are fine.

What tests are important? Bigger question is what is important to you. Me personally I only tested for Ammonia when I cycled a tank. Never again. Nitrates - every once in a while. Ca, Alk, Mag more frequently. potassium or anything else? Nope. Of the manual tests I had (Nitrate, Ca, Mag, Alk) I only performed the ones that are the most repeatable, consistent for me, and easy (less time consuming). So...that means Hanna tests which lead me to phosphate and Alk. Not going to lie - those got done because they are easy and quick. Nyos test kit for Nitrate was also not bad but I only do it once in a blue moon.

In the end it made sense for me because it tested what I wasn't. It is affordable. Reagents are not bad. Integrates with my controller. Tests what I care for. What it doesn't I can get via ATI ICP (I send in about 1 - 2 a year). Above all it is consistent with my manual tests that I have run so believe it is accurate.

TL;DR - yes, it is worth.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter anymore by the time I got to my debit card it was already sold out on all three sites it was listed on guess I’ll wait another year to get one.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know the default config on the Trident is to test ALK 4 times a day - can this be dropped down to once or twice a day? I run a CalRx so no dosing but I love the idea of automated testing and I already have a new Apex.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the default config on the Trident is to test ALK 4 times a day - can this be dropped down to once or twice a day? I run a CalRx so no dosing but I love the idea of automated testing and I already have a new Apex.
Alk 4x day is the minimum . The trident is definitely worth it. I love it paired with my dos!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I love mine! I am more in tune with my tank and the results are consistent.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see, gold is currently $1,400 per ounce. How heavy is the trident ....

chet31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it.... it was hard to get one but its so worth it. Paired with DOS system and it just works (took sometime to figure out the dosing qty).

I feel I have a busy schedule (who doesn't) and testing gets rescheduled way too often. With this, all I have to do is open the app and check my parameters.

One of the best purchase I have made for the money pit :)

U

User1

View Badges
Great device, but i hope they come out with software upgrade to change the amount of testing.

It will come down to data analysis (if they are looking at any of it or have the ability to) and reagent shelf life. 100 bucks for an estimated 6 month supply isn't too bad.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 4x day is the minimum . The trident is definitely worth it. I love it paired with my dos!
You can cheat by switching to manual, however you will still need to change the reagent every 30 days for alk and 60 days for Ca/Mg because you will start getting inaccurate readings. this was heavily discussed on the Apex forums.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big/often are all of your alk swings?

If I just dose ca/alk continuously then make a manual change based on my every other day testing, I lose the immediate ability for the trident to make a change, but how often are swings that really would be dangerous if not addressed immediately?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back