Neptune WAV too much flow in 42 cube

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Been mostly just lurking here but decided I needed to actually ask some questions. I have a recently stood up 42 gallon cube that is running a neptune WAV. I have it running on <5% and it still seems to be far too much flow for this tank. The tank has a center overflow/return that is set at around 3-5x turn over, and the powerhead is on the right side about 1/3 down and pointed up and towards the center.

The plan was to have LPS down low and eventually SPS up top but I think my recently added hammers and torches are getting thrown around a bit too much. The hammer has opened up almost all the way in a lower flow area but the torch is not fully extending. They have only been in the tank for 4 days but the second I moved the hammer to a lower flow area it immediately opened up. My acan and zoa seem to be fairly happy however, all were added the same day. I realize it can take a few days if not weeks for coral to fully open but I can see the tips of the torch getting smacked around pretty good. So do I wait a few weeks as is and see what happens or consider replacing the WAV with something smaller? The thing that im considering is the fact that there is just way to much flow front and center, the plan was to have a little garden type thing there but with the flow thats bouncing off the glass I dont think I can do that.

Im considering replacing the WAV with two Tunze 6055s and putting one on each side of the overflow on the back wall. I do run an Apex and would control them with that. Im not locked to tunze or any brand, but I would prefer to have something that the apex can control as I just want a single app to manage the tank.

Thanks!

imageedit_2_8268632845.jpg

Attachments

• 20201124_162852000_iOS.MOV
    32.3 MB

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I would turn off your WAV for 24 - 48 hours and see if your torch opens up.
At times a torch just does not do well no matter what.

If it does open up after your WAV is off, then those Tunze's do have very good customer ratings and Tunze does make long-living products.

If you go with Tunze, one of those may get the job done.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two WAVs in my 150. They are very flexible. Try using the Malibu wave mode instead of Constant. I think it is the most gentle of all mode options.

OP
OP
D

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I would turn off your WAV for 24 - 48 hours and see if your torch opens up.
At times a torch just does not do well no matter what.

If it does open up after your WAV is off, then those Tunze's do have very good customer ratings and Tunze does make long-living products.

If you go with Tunze, one of those may get the job done.

Hey thanks, started to open up a bit more, maybe another 1/4 inch or so. I ended up ordering two Octo Pulse 2 power heads and got them setup. They are far more gentle and the range at which I can use them at is far wider. Less control with the apex as I need to use profiles now rather then the built in stuff but its better then the tank getting trashed constantly.

I have two WAVs in my 150. They are very flexible. Try using the Malibu wave mode instead of Constant. I think it is the most gentle of all mode options.

Compared to the Octo Pulse 2 they are far too powerful for my 42 cube. I yanked it out and the flow is far more manageable. It didnt matter what setting I used on the WAV even at 1% it was throwing sand around.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back