Neptunian Cube M180 Build

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 54 gallon corner with a 10 gallon sump. For lights I’m running a Kessil a360w-e, 2x24 watt ATI Blue+ and a Current Orbit 24” LED.

Today I ordered my new tank from a LFS that started selling their own line of tanks and should be delivered in two weeks. Will post photos once every

Tank
72x21x21 display
48x17x15 sump
Upgraded to a roller mat, can’t wait to say goodbye to filter sock cleaning
AquaPy controller
Lights TBD
Skimmer TBD

Current FTS of my 54 corner.
9E5BFFBA-44FB-448F-81C5-40ADF87AEE2D.jpeg

OP
OP
whitej6

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a call finally, the roller mat is in and delivery is scheduled for Sunday! I’ve also decided to go with 4 Hydra 32HD and may add two more later depending on par measurements. Can’t wait for my tank to get here!

OP
OP
whitej6

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has cleared up and has a new resident! Have to say I’m very pleasantly surprised in the build quality. Tight seams, sturdy cabinet and I really like the aluminum/pvc stand construction. I don’t feel I’ll have to worry salt ruining a particle board or wood finish.

DFAA1161-BC0A-4318-A0E4-C68C35212B80.jpeg 35266B97-8427-451B-8E5C-4881C9B48654.jpeg

OP
OP
whitej6

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are in, moved my 4 gladiator clowns over along with some zoas, GSP & a red mushroom.

EB6672F7-AC73-4C46-BE4C-0F80AA772D88.jpeg B0251AD0-25F1-4390-8FD9-F00D7CAAFC2F.jpeg

Benreefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see someone posting about the Neptunian Aquariums... What's your overall thoughts on it? Any issues with the sump? They seem to have a lot of parts and maybe over complicated?

OP
OP
whitej6

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I am very pleased with build quality and the system. I did raise the water level in the sump due to the klir rollermat being loud AF. The only complaint I have is the use of 316 stainless steel parts inside the sump. The likelihood of something happening I think is slim within the next 5 years but 316 isn’t 100% saltwater safe even though it’s marine grade. I am planning on swapping all stainless parts to PVC or similar. I do not feel I am in any immediate danger of leaching but while it’s front of mind I want to replace it before I forget and I’m at the 5 year mark.

OP
OP
whitej6

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as complicated, I paid the LFS to deliver and install the system. Looking at the sump it does not appear overly complicated or difficult to setup. I just had zero desire to move a 3/4” glass rimless tank! :p:D

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your journal. I am looking into getting a 4ft tank. This is one of my two contenders. Could you elaborate which parts were 316 stainless steel? Also, is the overflow quiet? I saw on YouTube that the K series was loud since it didn’t have any gatevalve to control the drain. I am guessing you have the newer M series which has the gate valve, so I am wondering how quite that is.

Any other tips suggestions that you may have would be appreciated.

OP
OP
whitej6

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few screws in the sump for the float valve, a baffle, prob holder etc. Since they're only screws they are replaceable with nylon screws if that makes you more comfortable (which I will be), 316 stainless steel is not likely to cause any issues for years.

For the overflow it's super quiet, it is a herbie overflow design. As long as your syphon drain is tuned correctly it will be quiet. I did have to raise the level in my sump because I run a Klir rollermat. The rollermat is SUPER loud if the sump has a lower water lever, which has nothing to do with the design of the M180 sump.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 54 gallon corner with a 10 gallon sump. For lights I’m running a Kessil a360w-e, 2x24 watt ATI Blue+ and a Current Orbit 24” LED.

Today I ordered my new tank from a LFS that started selling their own line of tanks and should be delivered in two weeks. Will post photos once every

Tank
72x21x21 display
48x17x15 sump
Upgraded to a roller mat, can’t wait to say goodbye to filter sock cleaning
AquaPy controller
Lights TBD
Skimmer TBD

Current FTS of my 54 corner.
9E5BFFBA-44FB-448F-81C5-40ADF87AEE2D.jpeg

Nice. I just put in a M180 myself and now researching the roller mat option. How do you like it and would you please take some close up pictures of it? I see that you put it in place of one of the existing sock outlets instead of their standard return pipe into the sump pipe inlets.

I put in a manifold myself so space is cramped back there. =)

austrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting some pics of the tank! I just found out about Neptunian Cube this past weekend and I'm considering getting one. Curious on the dimensions they list (71"x21.6"x21.6") - do you know if they are measuring from the interior edges of the glass or exterior? Also, for the height, curious if they're measuring total glass height or height to the surface skimmer (which would reduce the effective height quite a bit)? Hope the tank is doing well!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. HOw do you raise the sump water level. Also, how is your tank coming along? Any updates?

Add more water and balance the water sent to your DT by your return pump with the drain gate valve. Very manual effort like most sump and DT balancing act getting the right level plus noise.

And tank is measured at the outside glass dimensions.

austrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more water and balance the water sent to your DT by your return pump with the drain gate valve. Very manual effort like most sump and DT balancing act getting the right level plus noise.

And tank is measured at the outside glass dimensions.
Thanks for the quick reply - I guess DT volume is significantly less than what they're advertising then? Subtracting for thickness of the glass and assuming some height lost from the top of the tank, that'd put the volume at around 115 gallons, give or take a few.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They advertised 144g for the display, but those are all estimates and may not factor out your variables. However this is no different than any other builder. Ie. standard 180g is 72x24x24 but no one takes out the glass or water height. Add rock and other stuff and you’re much less in total volume. Key here is dimensions as you’re expected to make your own volume estimates for things like dosing.

NateBay80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few screws in the sump for the float valve, a baffle, prob holder etc. Since they're only screws they are replaceable with nylon screws if that makes you more comfortable (which I will be), 316 stainless steel is not likely to cause any issues for years.

For the overflow it's super quiet, it is a herbie overflow design. As long as your syphon drain is tuned correctly it will be quiet. I did have to raise the level in my sump because I run a Klir rollermat. The rollermat is SUPER loud if the sump has a lower water lever, which has nothing to do with the design of the M180 sump.
Do you have pics of the filter roller setup? I’m waiting on a m120 and considering the Klir.

Kealoha Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a work of caution, we’ve had our neptunian peninsula running for just over a year now, happy with almost everything but one thing, and it’s bit a biggie, at least it is for us, we have noticed what can only be described as ‘deterioration’ of the display tank glass in some areas, it’s difficult to try and explain and even more difficult to photograph, but it looks ‘cloudy’ in areas, it’s on the inside and no chance of ever being able to try to polish it out without breaking it down, which is obviously not an option. I’m wondering if they cut corners with their glass supplier or they got a bad batch… just keep an eye out, it did happen over time, it was perfect to begin with.

Kealoha Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a work of caution, we’ve had our neptunian peninsula running for just over a year now, happy with almost everything but one thing, and it’s bit a biggie, at least it is for us, we have noticed what can only be described as ‘deterioration’ of the display tank glass in some areas, it’s difficult to try and explain and even more difficult to photograph, but it looks ‘cloudy’ in areas, it’s on the inside and no chance of ever being able to try to polish it out without breaking it down, which is obviously not an option. I’m wondering if they cut corners with their glass supplier or they got a bad batch… just keep an eye out, it did happen over time, it was perfect to begin with.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back