OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much noise does the nero produce compared to a jebao or tunze? That would be the most important thing for me.

They are quieter than my jeabo and coralbox but louder than my tunze. The jeabos are on wave mode which does make them louder. I just quickly put my ear to them however I'll look into it more when I move the pump to the front pane to test it on 1/2" glass. I would say it's very quiet but noise is not a concern for me. If I can't hear pumps running throughout my house I can't sleep.

I've heard that the magnets are stupid weak....like not designed for over 1/4" glass weak.

I just went and pulled on the magnet on 3/8th it wouldn't budge. Obviously I have enough strength to knock it off if I wanted to but if you banging into it that hard you better have an acrylic tank as the glass won't take continuous hits that hard. I will test it on 1/2" and post photos of the glass thickness since there are already conflicting comments in the thread. The fact the magnet is low profile probably makes it less likely to be struck but again you shouldn't be doing stuff that knocks off any magnets from your tanks...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@andrewkw - many thanks for your review mate!! You said you have owned a pair of TUNZES & A PAIR OF ECOTECH MP40s in the past and have been in the hobby for quite a while it seems! Anyhow, how would you Compare the new Nero5's if you had to buy them out of your pocket? I already have 3 AI Hydra HD LEDs for my lighting for the new system and it would be really cool to control your lights and pumps in one app on your smartphone. I also run the new GHL ProfiLux4 controller. See, I am getting ready to set up an SCA Rimless 150 system that I have been working on for almost 2 years now. I want to add only one powerhead on each side of the 150 and I am trying to decide on which powerheads would fit my spec on my tank the best. Specs are the following - 60''x24''x24''. For my Returns, I will be running one EcoTech L-1 (3000gph) which will be TEED off into two 1'' returns and I have a 20'' Synergy External Overflow box which runs my 3 1.5inch drains directly down into my sump. As far as powerheads, how about the Reef Octo Pulse 4's, , Turbelle Naostream Tunze 6105's or even a pair of the new Ecotech MP40QWD's?

I already have a pair of Turbelle Naostream TUNZE 6055's which will be installed on the back of the tank to try to avoid any dead spots. I like the Turbelle TUNZE pumps b/c you can direct them a little better vs your EcoTech MP40QWD'S that just push water start forward!

The new system, I will be going with a Minimal looking Scape and do mainly SPS corals! In the very back of the Tank behind my show pcs that I had custom made by a company called Aquarocks build that for me to hold all and most of my SPS corals.

For my Scape, back in 2004, I bought around 75 pounds of some Old School Tonga Branch since I use to work at our LFS so I got to cherry pic off 500 pounds that came in that day I will never forget :) I have sold most of it except for except for this showpiece that you see in the picture. As we all know Real TONGA branch Live rock was banned for export in 2004 to the United States from any of the Tonga Islands, just like Marshall Island live rock which was the best live rock in my opinion that you could buy! It was the most porous live rock I mean a 20lbs rock would only way around 10lbs, that's how pours it was. Anyways, I am building a structure
that's going to be about 35'' in height and about 5'' in width out of my old school Tonga Branch and go with my center showpiece and my two VidaWaves Corner showpiece as well.

In a 5 foot tank I'd probably go with something more powerful. MP40s or appropriately sized Tunzes. The exception being if I was placing them on the back. That being said I only have 1 of these pumps so it's possible putting 2 on alternate sides would be enough. The pump works great on a 3 foot tank, would be fine on a 4 foot, but I'm not sure about a 5. I did have the option of placing this on a 5 foot tank but I choose my 3 foot for 2 reasons. It seems more appropriately sized and I want more flow in my 3 then I do in my 5. I didn't do any scientific testing but just from viewing and feeling I feel like the width of the flow is a greater strength then the length.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can give my 2 cents for what it is worth. I purchased one from BRS and had it running for less than a week on my 4 foot tank 1/2". The magnet is not bad, what I find to be the weak point is the inner magnet holding the pump. Anyway I had mine set up and running on the random mode at 3/4 of the way up, and within 3 days I started hearing this loud noise. Come to find out it was the Nero 5, that any time it would ramp up for that duration during the random timeline it was acting like the ceramic shaft and ceramic tube that holds the impeller was worn allowing it to wobble. So I sent it back to BRS for them to check out. Fingers crossed I ended up with a faulty pump, otherwise I will be pulling it off and throwing in the corner, because I can't deal with that nonsense.

When both of my Gyre 250's are running 50%-70% throughout the day, I have to place my ear on the tank glass to hear them. If the Nero 5 is truly this loud, that is going to be a big fail.

Last edited:

itsforte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used nero5 for two months.
The design is like dyson fans and hair dryer which with current booster, so that the body of the power head is thinner and wider, but push more wider and mild current.
Besides, I think it with encoder or some error detector inside. When something stuck the fan it will get alarm and slow the rotating speed. its helpful for me because my sea urchins carried lots of small rocks and stuck the fan.
Anyway I like it so far.

kdogginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just wanted to chime in after having this pump since they were released.

I have it on a 4’ tank with 1/2” glass. I haven’t had any issues with either of the magnets holding the pump secure.

I did have issues with my original pump so I am now on my second one. The first one had some sort of balance issue and would make an awful noise after running for 10 minutes or so.

This new pump doesn’t have the same issue. It is a little bit loud on the higher speeds and is more noticeable when in pulse mode but it’s not bad. I like the level of adjustability that you have with the settings and times in the app. I do wish that it was easier to just manually control the pump speed from the app instead of having to set it up in the timeline. I also hope they will release a guard like the vortechs have.

Overall it’s a nice pump and has good features. I like it and am considering buying another one.

cldormer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACE9C66C-D581-49E5-BBF0-EB66CF324B38.jpeg
I’ve had my Nero installed and running perfectly and silently since September 28th, 2018. I never have to run it up past 55% in my Waterbox 75.2. It replaced a Jabeo Gyre 120 knock off that was a waste of $75, it was going out after only 4 months of use. I couldn’t be happier since my DT is lit by a Hydra 26HD and my Fuge is lit by a Prime HD. So easy to open one app and control all 3 AI products.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Nice review, thank you.

I have been wondering about these. Any opinion on the magnets holding the pump? I have heard issues with these on 1/2" glass.
I’ve installed on 1/2” glass on wall side and it’s staying on but very weak. If it’s in a position where it can be knocked it’s likely to fall. Can’t touch the magnet without it falling on my tank.

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 1 that we set up in the shop is on 1/2" glass it has not fallen off but it is on the side of a tank so you would have to try to touch it or mess it up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back