Nero 5 first impressions

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fortunate enough to win this pump right here on R2R last month. Now that I've got it going and gotten the hang of it I'll post my thoughts. I've used everything from maxi-jets and later maxijet mods to tunze, to hydor, to ecotech's to jebaos and probably a few others. Still haven't tried a gyre style pump though. This is the first time I've had a chance to play with new powerhead technology since I got 1st gen MP40's which unfortunately stopped working a long time ago.

The first thing I did before setting it up was take it apart. I read and watched a few reviews and it seems like most neglect this when it's an important part. While this is AI's first pump I did not really have any doubts that it would perform. I was curious how much of a pain it would be to clean. I've had powerheads last as long as 10 years. In the end they will all fail but maintaining them will extend their lifespan. It's also going into a newly setup tank that has some hair algae issues. Even if it was going into an established tank it would quickly be coraline covered as well. You just have to turn it one way to open and the reverse to seal it. There is a little hook that snaps it shut. Very easy to do. Impeller comes out real easy as well. Cleaning shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Yes you can swap wet sides faster but even if you had the extra one you still need to clean it.

I am impressed with how thin the pump is. The flow is very good and wide but not crazy powerful. The other main powerhead I'm using is a coralbox qp 16 It is considerably bulkier but 25% more powerful. The fact that you can only adjust the pump slightly on the magnet is not a big deal given that it has such a wide flow pattern and this no doubt keeps the profile thin. I don't have any mp10's anymore but that seems to be the pump most people compare the Nero 5 to. To me it seems more like the long forgotten MP20 which of course was just a slowed down 40, but this is actually physically smaller then a 40 while offering more flow then an MP10 but less than a MP40. I would choose the Nero 5 over an mp10 in most cases the exception being if I wanted to mount it on the back of the tank.

Bluetooth is super easy to setup and you can program the pump in just a minute or 2. I'm not really that into aquarium gadgets. At least not in the sense that I would pay extra for them. If it works and it's easy to use that's good enough for me. I use several jebao pumps and they work fine. This pump though it was legitimately fun to setup. You may not need a 24hr flow pattern but it's still fun to make one. Also it is nice that on screen it tells you the current gph the pump is putting out.

I got this pump for free and while I was intrigued with the design I probably wouldn't have bought one just based on the price. I don't think it's over price but I do think you are paying for features you want vs need. Now that I've used one I am considering buying another to pair it with. The low profile, wide flow and fun factor, plus the fact it's easy to clean are what I like. I probably would not recommend this powerhead for more then a 4 foot tank. I had the option of sticking it on my 5 foot main display but thought it was better suited for my 3x2 tank which to be fair is going to be sps dominate so it will have a higher flow rate then my 5 foot tank. It's too early to say how long this will last but I would expect at least 5 years out of it. Is it better then the 3 or 4 coral box / jebaos you can get for the same price? No, but 1 to 1 it certainly is better, the deciding factor is really just about how much you want to spend and if you are willing to pay for extra features you don't really need but are certainly appealing.

The last picture is the tank. Yes it's mess, you can see how much stuff was stirred up by adding the nero 5. In the back there is a really old korilia pump and the magnet you mount the powerhead to sticks out as much as the nero 5 does in total. The other pump is a QP-16. Yes the QP is more powerful but it's also way bigger.

IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.PNG
IMG_1890.PNG
IMG_1292.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. How notable is the aqua colored impeller? Seems like a curious choice.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. How notable is the aqua colored impeller? Seems like a curious choice.

It's noticeable, but so is a red one on a hydor, a white one on a jeabo. Tunze mostly due to the design is the only one of the various powerheads I have running in my house that I can't see. Now that you've said something I certainly see it more but it's really no worse than white. The one exception is looking from the back due to the design it does stick out a bit more. Black probably would be the best colour, however having them lighter colour makes it easier to see when they need cleaning. That's a small plus but a good question as to why they are this colour.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you've said something I certainly see it more.

Ah, sorry about that. When I first saw this pump online, the color choice seemed curious to me. Probably a marketing thing.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you compare this vs an mp40? i have a 4' tank for reference

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you compare this vs an mp40? i have a 4' tank for reference

Less power, wider flow pattern, more options. To be fair it's been some time since I've used an MP40. Even though it has the cord it's definitely lower profile unless you were planning on placing on the back wall.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review, thank you.

I have been wondering about these. Any opinion on the magnets holding the pump? I have heard issues with these on 1/2" glass.

I like that it is really small. It holds fine on 3/8th. The front pane of my tank is actually 1/2" if you want me to try it the next time I'm doing maintenance I'll give it a go. Obviously not going to leave it there but don't mind sticking it on for 15 minutes when I'm doing a water change ect.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that it is really small. It holds fine on 3/8th. The front pane of my tank is actually 1/2" if you want me to try it the next time I'm doing maintenance I'll give it a go. Obviously not going to leave it there but don't mind sticking it on for 15 minutes when I'm doing a water change ect.

If it's not too much trouble. I'm sure your opinion would be helpful to others as well as myself.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been watching this since inception. While it may do well on my on my cube, I was more interested in placing on my 360g but it is a known fact that the magnets do poorly with glass 1/2 or thicker.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these style of pumps! The flow is amazing and perfect for reef tanks, but I will stick with my wave puck pumps for 180 dollars less. I don't need bluetooth :) I wish I could get one of these for free to see what the actual difference is between these two extremely similar pumps.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been watching this since inception. While it may do well on my on my cube, I was more interested in placing on my 360g but it is a known fact that the magnets do poorly with glass 1/2 or thicker.

I’ve seen almost no reviews of this pump. Where did you read about the glass thickness issues such that it’s a known rather than assumed problem? Not saying you’re wrong, it’s a relatively small pump, so makes sense that it’s not be intended for thick walls.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve seen almost no reviews of this pump. Where did you read about the glass thickness issues such that it’s a known rather than assumed problem? Not saying you’re wrong, it’s a relatively small pump, so makes sense that it’s not be intended for thick walls.

Have 2 local club members experiencing this

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works on half inch I have one set up on 1/2". I have also been happy with it. I replaced a wavepuck with this pump it is smaller and moves more water.

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the other response about glass thickness I will measure it tomorrow and let you know for sure.

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much noise does the nero produce compared to a jebao or tunze? That would be the most important thing for me.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fortunate enough to win this pump right here on R2R last month. Now that I've got it going and gotten the hang of it I'll post my thoughts. I've used everything from maxi-jets and later maxijet mods to tunze, to hydor, to ecotech's to jebaos and probably a few others. Still haven't tried a gyre style pump though. This is the first time I've had a chance to play with new powerhead technology since I got 1st gen MP40's which unfortunately stopped working a long time ago.

The first thing I did before setting it up was take it apart. I read and watched a few reviews and it seems like most neglect this when it's an important part. While this is AI's first pump I did not really have any doubts that it would perform. I was curious how much of a pain it would be to clean. I've had powerheads last as long as 10 years. In the end they will all fail but maintaining them will extend their lifespan. It's also going into a newly setup tank that has some hair algae issues. Even if it was going into an established tank it would quickly be coraline covered as well. You just have to turn it one way to open and the reverse to seal it. There is a little hook that snaps it shut. Very easy to do. Impeller comes out real easy as well. Cleaning shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Yes you can swap wet sides faster but even if you had the extra one you still need to clean it.

I am impressed with how thin the pump is. The flow is very good and wide but not crazy powerful. The other main powerhead I'm using is a coralbox qp 16 It is considerably bulkier but 25% more powerful. The fact that you can only adjust the pump slightly on the magnet is not a big deal given that it has such a wide flow pattern and this no doubt keeps the profile thin. I don't have any mp10's anymore but that seems to be the pump most people compare the Nero 5 to. To me it seems more like the long forgotten MP20 which of course was just a slowed down 40, but this is actually physically smaller then a 40 while offering more flow then an MP10 but less than a MP40. I would choose the Nero 5 over an mp10 in most cases the exception being if I wanted to mount it on the back of the tank.

Bluetooth is super easy to setup and you can program the pump in just a minute or 2. I'm not really that into aquarium gadgets. At least not in the sense that I would pay extra for them. If it works and it's easy to use that's good enough for me. I use several jebao pumps and they work fine. This pump though it was legitimately fun to setup. You may not need a 24hr flow pattern but it's still fun to make one. Also it is nice that on screen it tells you the current gph the pump is putting out.

I got this pump for free and while I was intrigued with the design I probably wouldn't have bought one just based on the price. I don't think it's over price but I do think you are paying for features you want vs need. Now that I've used one I am considering buying another to pair it with. The low profile, wide flow and fun factor, plus the fact it's easy to clean are what I like. I probably would not recommend this powerhead for more then a 4 foot tank. I had the option of sticking it on my 5 foot main display but thought it was better suited for my 3x2 tank which to be fair is going to be sps dominate so it will have a higher flow rate then my 5 foot tank. It's too early to say how long this will last but I would expect at least 5 years out of it. Is it better then the 3 or 4 coral box / jebaos you can get for the same price? No, but 1 to 1 it certainly is better, the deciding factor is really just about how much you want to spend and if you are willing to pay for extra features you don't really need but are certainly appealing.

The last picture is the tank. Yes it's mess, you can see how much stuff was stirred up by adding the nero 5. In the back there is a really old korilia pump and the magnet you mount the powerhead to sticks out as much as the nero 5 does in total. The other pump is a QP-16. Yes the QP is more powerful but it's also way bigger.

IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.PNG
IMG_1890.PNG
IMG_1292.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@andrewkw - many thanks for your review mate!! You said you have owned a pair of TUNZES & A PAIR OF ECOTECH MP40s in the past and have been in the hobby for quite a while it seems! Anyhow, how would you Compare the new Nero5's if you had to buy them out of your pocket? I already have 3 AI Hydra HD LEDs for my lighting for the new system and it would be really cool to control your lights and pumps in one app on your smartphone. I also run the new GHL ProfiLux4 controller. See, I am getting ready to set up an SCA Rimless 150 system that I have been working on for almost 2 years now. I want to add only one powerhead on each side of the 150 and I am trying to decide on which powerheads would fit my spec on my tank the best. Specs are the following - 60''x24''x24''. For my Returns, I will be running one EcoTech L-1 (3000gph) which will be TEED off into two 1'' returns and I have a 20'' Synergy External Overflow box which runs my 3 1.5inch drains directly down into my sump. As far as powerheads, how about the Reef Octo Pulse 4's, , Turbelle Naostream Tunze 6105's or even a pair of the new Ecotech MP40QWD's?

I already have a pair of Turbelle Naostream TUNZE 6055's which will be installed on the back of the tank to try to avoid any dead spots. I like the Turbelle TUNZE pumps b/c you can direct them a little better vs your EcoTech MP40QWD'S that just push water start forward!

The new system, I will be going with a Minimal looking Scape and do mainly SPS corals! In the very back of the Tank behind my show pcs that I had custom made by a company called Aquarocks build that for me to hold all and most of my SPS corals.

For my Scape, back in 2004, I bought around 75 pounds of some Old School Tonga Branch since I use to work at our LFS so I got to cherry pic off 500 pounds that came in that day I will never forget :) I have sold most of it except for except for this showpiece that you see in the picture. As we all know Real TONGA branch Live rock was banned for export in 2004 to the United States from any of the Tonga Islands, just like Marshall Island live rock which was the best live rock in my opinion that you could buy! It was the most porous live rock I mean a 20lbs rock would only way around 10lbs, that's how pours it was. Anyways, I am building a structure
that's going to be about 35'' in height and about 5'' in width out of my old school Tonga Branch and go with my center showpiece and my two VidaWaves Corner showpiece as well.

Votech - EcoTech MP40QWD's (4,500+ GPH)
Ecotech MP40QWD.png

Turnelle Stream 6105 TUNZE controable: (700-3400gph)
TUNZE6105's.png

Pulse 2's Powerheads (Max Flow: 4,500gph)
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 6.07.52 AM.png

My SCA Rimless 150 (60''X24''X24'')
Custom rimless SCA 150 w: showpcs.jpg

Pix of my Tonga Showpieace that will run along the back of my tank
Tongascape3.jpeg

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that the magnets are stupid weak....like not designed for over 1/4" glass weak.

Thats unfortunate, if anyone finds this an issue, I heard the wave pucks can work on 1" material even though they say only 3/4". They have some crazy strong magnets.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back