2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is only a minireef120.
What to replace Nero 3 with?
Jebao Sw4 or CP90
The SW4 is very small but apparently pretty strong and takes up very little space while the CP90 is like a gyre and will fill most of the width of the tank.

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe you need it but you do have to have it registered in the my ai app. Then you can go to warranty from there

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth sending it in for service. My Nero 3 died, out of warranty. It turned out that my motor bearings had an issue. Per Aqua Illumination, they have updated the style of bearing since I bought my Nero (2 years ago), and AI sent me a new Nero 3 at no cost.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's worth sending it in for service. My Nero 3 died, out of warranty. It turned out that my motor bearings had an issue. Per Aqua Illumination, they have updated the style of bearing since I bought my Nero (2 years ago), and AI sent me a new Nero 3 at no cost.
Hey! This is interesting. Mine died just last week at 20 months in of ownership. Did you just email support?

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard good things about the customer service for Nero 3 besides it having some reliability issues

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Back to the original posters question, I went out and bought an ecotech vortech. I was reading too much of people having Neros fail. I had to get a power head immediately since I had some SPS perish with the lack of flow. I got home from a work trip and my Nero wouldn't work, took it apart several times and placed it back in, just won't spin even though nothing is impeding the flow and I can spin it easily with my finger.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe you need it but you do have to have it registered in the my ai app. Then you can go to warranty from there
Problem is my AI wont now connect to the NERO. It was registered however.
Quote $80 from local distributor for replacement motor

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea
Back to the original posters question, I went out and bought an ecotech vortech. I was reading too much of people having Neros fail. I had to get a power head immediately since I had some SPS perish with the lack of flow. I got home from a work trip and my Nero wouldn't work, took it apart several times and placed it back in, just won't spin even though nothing is impeding the flow and I can spin it easily with my finger.
h same as mine. usually if it stopped you could prompt it to spin up. No longer

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is my AI wont now connect to the NERO. It was registered however.
Quote $80 from local distributor for replacement motor
Still cheaper than new but I would call the manufacturer directly !! . in the mean time pick up a cheap powerhead till it comes back from being fixed/ replaced . It’s always good to have spares anyway .

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! This is interesting. Mine died just last week at 20 months in of ownership. Did you just email support?
Yes, I had no intentions of getting anything free. I was going to pay to have them repair it, so definitely a nice surprise. My only out of pocket was shipping the unit to them.

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can file a claim on AI website: https://www.aquaillumination.com/rma

My Nero 5 stopped working suddenly last week, and the warranty expired, but I sent it in anyway. AI decided to send me a free replacement without asking for receipt or anything. You just need to give them the serial number.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back