Network cabinet to house Apex and other gadget?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a build on Reefer 250, and looking to decide whether to use Besta Ikea frame, Sonax component stand, or network cabinet rack. What do you think?

I just found a network cabinet below that can be access from sides and have glass door, two fans included on the top and railing on the side to attach wood panels.
What do you think? It is 30" high so it is about 4" shorter than red sea reefer stand.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-362736...t-network-server-cabinet-rack-15u-primecables

sonax component stand

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should work. So long as you can drill/cut holes in the back and move/remove the shelves you should be good.

Once you configure the shelving, consider tacking and/or gluing them in place to be more secure.

Also, get cord labels and zip ties. wrap and zip tie the cords in the back and you might even screw some hooks into the back to hold the excess cords. and labels on the cords will be appreciated somewhere down the road.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should work. So long as you can drill/cut holes in the back and move/remove the shelves you should be good.

Once you configure the shelving, consider tacking and/or gluing them in place to be more secure.

Also, get cord labels and zip ties. wrap and zip tie the cords in the back and you might even screw some hooks into the back to hold the excess cords. and labels on the cords will be appreciated somewhere down the road.

which option out of the three would be best?

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Server racks like these are GREAT with Velcro wire ties.
Used to do this in data centers, these are created for keeping wires tucked up and away in the side rails.
This and a proper label maker makes a world of difference. If you want to get into it, look up Server rack Cable Management. They transform spaghetti to works of art in my eyes.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Server racks like these are GREAT with Velcro wire ties.
Used to do this in data centers, these are created for keeping wires tucked up and away in the side rails.
This and a proper label maker makes a world of difference. If you want to get into it, look up Server rack Cable Management. They transform spaghetti to works of art in my eyes.

Since you have experience, if my server rack is 15u, do I need to get 15u server rack cable? I am not sure how "u" is important in this case to make sure I get the correct length that will fit into the rack

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the stereo cabinet.

Rear panel mounting is how you will mount most equipment in a cabinet for a reef tank . This is why I when with a book shelf type cabinet with storage below. I replaced the cheap cardboard with 1/4" plywood which was easy to do the cut out for the wiring. I used the back cardboard for a front panel.

The network sever are good. I am not sure you could run all the wires through the stock cut out, but I found more convenient to have the cut outs above and below the power blocks. The power cords and their plugs are thick and not the easiest to manipulate. If yiou gave a couple of lines already fed through the opening, the plugs ma not fit for teh next cord. If you go with the network server. you could cut do some metal cutting to the back panel.

IMG_1905.jpg

I store my test kits and other frequently used stuff in the two lower canvass draws while the equipment is above. The aquifilter pump and control box sit on the shelf. You may want to have an other storage piece below the server.

Again, this was a low budget couple of hours project, but you get the idea

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back