Never getting saltwater fish again

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give up, Everything died for no reason, they both died and now the inverts are alone, I'll just let them be, I shouldn't even have a reef tank, And a few words to the people with their first tank: Never buy fish from a store that looks suspicious, or if you aren't prepared for death and diseases.

20240227_143922.jpg 20240225_103453.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I give up, Everything died for no reason, they both died and now the inverts are alone, I'll just let them be, I shouldn't even have a reef tank, And a few words to the people with their first tank: Never buy fish from a store that looks suspicious, or if you aren't prepared for death and diseases.

These things happen and can be poor stock from pet store, disease, if tank is new, incomplete cycling or acclimation. Many factors

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sorry man. I hope you don’t give up completely

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things happen and can be poor stock from pet store, disease, if tank is new, incomplete cycling or acclimation. Many factors
If the tank is new? The tank is 2 months old and is that enough time for fish? The cycling is complete I think, my nitrites are always between 0 and 0.2

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is new? The tank is 2 months old and is that enough time for fish? The cycling is complete I think, my nitrites are always between 0 and 0.2
Do you mean Nitrates? Nitrites and Nitrates are different Nitrites should be 0

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry man. I hope you don’t give up completely
I planned to buy lots of live rocks and Make some sort of beach and then maybe buy inverts only, but can I add things from a real beach? I once made my first reef tank by catching a crab when I was younger

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean Nitrates? Nitrites and Nitrates are different Nitrites should be 0
Nitrites at zero is impossible for me or the test kit is broken because it always shows 0.1 while in the freshwater tank my no2 and NO3 are at 0 for some reason

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the symptoms prior to death, it’s rather difficult to gauge how they died. How long have you had the fish? What is the rest of the tank’s stocking? If the inverts are not showing any signs of poor health, the fish could likely have died of a fish-borne illness, such as brooklynella or velvet (both of which are more fast acting than ich, which would be rather noticeable before getting out of hand). Did you quarantine the fish beforehand? Even the most reputable places can have disease in their tanks, so I find it best practice to treat all newcoming fish myself to avoid infecting the main display. Don’t give up—nearly all of us have experienced loss early on, and unfortunately, it can continue throughout your reefing career. The best thing you can do from loss is identify the problem and solution, and try again.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites at zero is impossible for me or the test kit is broken because it always shows 0.1 while in the freshwater tank my no2 and NO3 are at 0 for some reason
What test kit are you using? Certain test kits work better for freshwater, but are nearly worthless when it comes to accurately reading saltwater tanks (take API for example). It’s important to have the right test kits—I might recommend Hanna checkers, or for a more reasonably priced kit, salifert test kits.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the symptoms prior to death, it’s rather difficult to gauge how they died. How long have you had the fish? What is the rest of the tank’s stocking? If the inverts are not showing any signs of poor health, the fish could likely have died of a fish-borne illness, such as brooklynella or velvet (both of which are more fast acting than ich, which would be rather noticeable before getting out of hand). Did you quarantine the fish beforehand? Even the most reputable places can have disease in their tanks, so I find it best practice to treat all newcoming fish myself to avoid infecting the main display. Don’t give up—nearly all of us have experienced loss early on, and unfortunately, it can continue throughout your reefing career. The best thing you can do from loss is identify the problem and solution, and try again.
I feel like my tank is too young, 4 more months And I'll add these cheap white fish I forgot the name and the tank is 2 months old for now, the fish are 2 weeks old and the first one died from a disease I'm sure, maybe brook but the other clown got Soo stressed that he got ich and died within 48 hours, and no I thought quarantine isn't necessary, I was very wrong

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? Certain test kits work better for freshwater, but are nearly worthless when it comes to accurately reading saltwater tanks (take API for example). It’s important to have the right test kits—I might recommend Hanna checkers, or for a more reasonably priced kit, salifert test kits.
I only use salifert nothing else I love salifert for some reason I find it everywhere

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got a test kit, none available in stores I just ordered one
So you don’t know what your ammonia is and you have nitrite present in your tank it makes me think your cycle was never completed. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 with nitrates rising.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want disease-free fish, let your tank run fallow for awhile, then buy fish from a reputable quarantined place. I particularly like FisHotel. Don't just buy something cheap.

We don’t know the details. The presence of nitrites would indicate the cycle is not complete. You compared it to your freshwater setups which in fact are irrelevant. Nitrite is deadly to fish
Aren't nitrites nontoxic in saltwater unless present in huge amounts?

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want disease-free fish, let your tank run fallow for awhile, then buy fish from a reputable quarantined place. I particularly like FisHotel. Don't just buy something cheap.

Aren't nitrites nontoxic in saltwater unless present in huge amounts?
I always considered them deadly from my freshwater days I would never add fish with nitrite present. I could wait the couple weeks to be sure the cycle was completed

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you feel the way you feel right now! All I can say is don't give up, give it another chance, but 6 weeks from now! If fish had ick this is enough time for ick to die in tank. And after that start slow, like 1 fish at the time. And get a good habit of testing water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back