Never getting saltwater fish again

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I use pipes too (even in the DT cause they look good) but that's sad about the full water change, having to fully re-cycle the QT
The water carries little to no bacteria. The bacteria is on your media and any hides decorations in the tank. A 100% water change will not effect cycle.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but that's sad about the full water change, having to fully re-cycle the QT
Changing the water after a treatment doesn't mean you'll need to re-cycle the QT; the bacteria will stay on the PVC and on the tank walls, so the tank will stay cycled even if you change all of the water.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't think for one second anyone can go into a pet store and ID fish that aren't vectoring

Is that a double negative, did you have to read that three times after you wrote it to even see if it made sense to you? I think the rest of us did...

airplane vector GIF by simongibson2000

Please speak like I normal human being... It will be much easier for people to understand your point.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing the water after a treatment doesn't mean you'll need to re-cycle the QT; the bacteria will stay on the PVC and on the tank walls, so the tank will stay cycled even if you change all of the water.
Oh so THAT'S how it works... I thought that the water is cycled and after a change, there will be not enough bacteria to convert ammonia again

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so THAT'S how it works... I thought that the water is cycled and after a change, there will be not enough bacteria to convert ammonia again
It depends on the surface area and the load in the QT. Brandon is correct, most of the surfaces will harbor enough to keep things going.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the bacteria colonizes the surfaces available (the more surface area to colonize, the more bacteria in the tank) and stays there, so the "tank" itself cycles instead of the "water" in the tank.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I use pipes too (even in the DT cause they look good) but that's sad about the full water change, having to fully re-cycle the QT
While you need to do a water change to remove the copper medication once QT is finished, you do not need to remove the filtration where the bacteria lives. I've kept a QT operating for over a year without changing the filtration when I knew I would be adding additional fish during that time.

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tough situation for you, I would be sure to let the tank sit empty for a few weeks and even do a few water changes in case the fish brought in disease. In the meantime there are some great videos online and be sure to find a reputable fish store where they can answer questions. Testing, especially in the start of a new tank is very important and you cannot use freshwater kits. Saltwater is a true learning experience but for most of us it is well worth the journey. Read, watch videos and talk with other reefers...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A tough situation for you, I would be sure to let the tank sit empty for a few weeks and even do a few water changes in case the fish brought in disease.
Water changes won't remove disease from the tank in any volume that can be helpful, outside of extreme circumstances. A long enough fallow period will let most die off, though.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes won't remove disease from the tank in any volume that can be helpful, outside of extreme circumstances. A long enough fallow period will let most die off, though.
Is 100 days or 200 enough?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kind of joking but there's 365 days in a year, 200 is actually more than 6 months.
7 to be exact but I'll see I always change things so you'll probably see me in a few weeks having a new fish, are green chromis good? I've seen they are cheap and good looking fish

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 to be exact but I'll see I always change things so you'll probably see me in a few weeks having a new fish, are green chromis good? I've seen they are cheap and good looking fish
Green chromis are very peaceful damsel. The only thing I have a problem with them is if you get more than one they usually tend to fight with each other until there's one left anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back