Never have success with Ulva.

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’ve kept a few different types of macro algae now. Mostly based on what’s available at websites and such. I always try ulva when I get a new shipment of stuff, but it’s always the first to die.
I really don’t have that much trouble with everything else. Red ogo always grows great. Same with even the very calcified stuff.
Ulva just always gets really weak and eventually disintegrates.
It’s frustrating cause I would love a big green flowing field of this supposedly unkillable stuff, but it never grows.
Am I alone in this? Have you guys seen this or could offer some advice?

thanks

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’ve kept a few different types of macro algae now. Mostly based on what’s available at websites and such. I always try ulva when I get a new shipment of stuff, but it’s always the first to die.
I really don’t have that much trouble with everything else. Red ogo always grows great. Same with even the very calcified stuff.
Ulva just always gets really weak and eventually disintegrates.
It’s frustrating cause I would love a big green flowing field of this supposedly unkillable stuff, but it never grows.
Am I alone in this? Have you guys seen this or could offer some advice?

thanks
I also have had trouble with ulva. From reading others comments about their ulva, I think it needs high nutrients and if the nutrients are consumed then it dies pretty quick before the the nutrients rise again. That was not my problem though.

I think it needs pretty high light too, or maybe it needs varied spectrum. I could never keep it when I had a T5 fixture. I have since changed to an LED fixture and for the first time I am keeping ulva.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back