Never tell an LFS they have a rare fish!!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re either gonna have to watch it slowly die and lose money. Feed it until someone maybe buys it or continually be low balled until they give. I hope op gets the latter.
I saw that with an Emperator adult once. They listed it at $580 and it never got sold for some reason and it quickly deteriorated in health. Only after the fish was almost dead did the store give into a guy asking for $180.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that with an Emperator adult once. They listed it at $580 and it never got sold for some reason and it quickly deteriorated in health. Only after the fish was almost dead did the store give into a guy asking for $180.
It’s spiteful but I hope LFS loses money with the eel. Solely for being too greedy and not meeting op in the middle.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I'm not sure how this store survives this one is 20 minutes northwest of me but there is another store 30 minutes northeast of me that sells many fish for often several times less and they do so well that they just bought a new store that is triple the size. TBH I mostly just go to the former because they stock weird fish you won't see anywhere else.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story of how I managed to turn an expensive fish into a ridiculously expensive fish.

If you know me on here you may know me as the weirdo who loves snake eels. I currently have two of these quite rare and underrated in my opinion eels and that Article badge I have is my care guide for them. Anyways I walk into one of my LFSs on Saturday and see one of my dream fish. The very rare Myrichthys breviceps AKA the Sharptail Snake Eel:
IMG_5142.jpeg
1670338290198.png

So I look at the price tags and see a listing for a Goldspotted Snake Eel, myrichthys ocellatus for 400$. Intrigued I asked a store clerk who told me it was a darker skinned variant of the goldspot and that the 400$ was correct. I informed the LFS that actually they had a totally different and rare species called the Sharptail Snake Eel. For context this is my goldspotted and I got it on Divers Den fully quarantined for 200$:
IMG_4921.jpeg

Doing the wise thing I asked the LFS to reserve it for me and went home to ask on here if buying this fish I'd never seen or even heard of in this hobby before was a good idea. After consulting @lion king I came to the realization that I'd have do resolve my current aggression issues and reduce my total number of fish in order to justify getting the new eel. So yesterday I caught my very bite-y triggers and my bullied chainlink moray and returned with them to the LFS who gave a good amount of store credit. However when I went over to the eel I was Informed by staff who weren't there on Saturday that the eel I wanted wasn't a Goldspotted but in fact the very rare Sharptail and that it cost 1,300$.

Long story short I do not have the Sharptail.
Hey so how do I post an article I can’t seem to find the way. Help another weirdo out pls. Is there a certain amount of context I can right? Cuz I’ve done a long one.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so how do I post an article I can’t seem to find the way. Help another weirdo out pls. Is there a certain amount of context I can right? Cuz I’ve done a long one.
Post it in a thread and tag Peace River

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story of how I managed to turn an expensive fish into a ridiculously expensive fish.

If you know me on here you may know me as the weirdo who loves snake eels. I currently have two of these quite rare and underrated in my opinion eels and that Article badge I have is my care guide for them. Anyways I walk into one of my LFSs on Saturday and see one of my dream fish. The very rare Myrichthys breviceps AKA the Sharptail Snake Eel:
IMG_5142.jpeg
1670338290198.png

So I look at the price tags and see a listing for a Goldspotted Snake Eel, myrichthys ocellatus for 400$. Intrigued I asked a store clerk who told me it was a darker skinned variant of the goldspot and that the 400$ was correct. I informed the LFS that actually they had a totally different and rare species called the Sharptail Snake Eel. For context this is my goldspotted and I got it on Divers Den fully quarantined for 200$:
IMG_4921.jpeg

Doing the wise thing I asked the LFS to reserve it for me and went home to ask on here if buying this fish I'd never seen or even heard of in this hobby before was a good idea. After consulting @lion king I came to the realization that I'd have do resolve my current aggression issues and reduce my total number of fish in order to justify getting the new eel. So yesterday I caught my very bite-y triggers and my bullied chainlink moray and returned with them to the LFS who gave a good amount of store credit. However when I went over to the eel I was Informed by staff who weren't there on Saturday that the eel I wanted wasn't a Goldspotted but in fact the very rare Sharptail and that it cost 1,300$.

Long story short I do not have the Sharptail.
I did this when going for my second flashing tilefish… they had it sold a as a Hoplolatilus cuniculus and about £20, I told them it was actually as Chlupatyi and they then started asking £400 for it (My original Chlupatyi was only £110). Let’s just say there’s a reason I went for a hybrid flasher and didn’t tell the LFS it was a hybrid until after buying it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this when going for my second flashing tilefish… they had it sold a as a Hoplolatilus cuniculus and about £20, I told them it was actually as Chlupatyi and they then started asking £400 for it (My original Chlupatyi was only £110). Let’s just say there’s a reason I went for a hybrid flasher and didn’t tell the LFS it was a hybrid until after buying it.
You'd think more places would reward honesty... D*ck moves like this will end up costing them way more in the long run (since people will stop pointing things like this out).

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. Didn’t tell my LFS what they had and what I bought was the rare angel only until after and then they got a box of angels that looked lime mine and they are all listed $360 or $470

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd think more places would reward honesty... D*ck moves like this will end up costing them way more in the long run (since people will stop pointing things like this out).
I got a Hannah checker last night that had 2 price tags with 2 wildly different prices. @Absolutely Fish honored the lower one and overall is a great store. Too bad these are hard to come by today

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won‘t they catch on what your trying to do?

Its not about catching what I'm doing, it's about them realizing this is a fish with special care. Unless they have a very specialized customer base, they are not going to get someone walking in every day that will drop that kind of money, especially on a less familiar species. If they are caring for it properly, they will find out quickly that it can be expensive and time consuming, which isn't good business for a store. They may have an ephifamy and realize that they will have that fish for a while and it may die before they sell it, which will be a total loss.

Oh some inside info, fish stores are good tax write offs, and some stores don't mind losing money.

@Slocke us this the lfs you got the other snake eels from, how did they care for them and how quickly did they sell. Do they have other high end fish that sell regularly.

Im very fair and have done offers many times through the years. I've also warned lfs about the special care off a fish and they refused my offer. I had friends in the lfs tell me the fish died.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not about catching what I'm doing, it's about them realizing this is a fish with special care. Unless they have a very specialized customer base, they are not going to get someone walking in every day that will drop that kind of money, especially on a less familiar species. If they are caring for it properly, they will find out quickly that it can be expensive and time consuming, which isn't good business for a store. They may have an ephifamy and realize that they will have that fish for a while and it may die before they sell it, which will be a total loss.

@Slocke us this the lfs you got the other snake eels from, how did they care for them and how quickly did they sell. Do they have other high end fish that sell regularly.

Im very fair and have done offers many times through the years. I've also warned lfs about the special care off a fish and they refused my offer. I had friends in the lfs tell me the fish died.
No I got the banded from the cheap LFS and they feed all their eels live ghost shrimp. The expensive one I was talking about in this thread seems to feed a krill and mysis shrimp combo which of course is not nearly as good especially for large predators.
The gold is from LA divers den and I don’t what that was fed but as you know it was and is a fat and healthy eel.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right, I also witnessed this happen when I pointed out that instead of having a regular Gold Rim we had a very nice specimen of the Hybrid Achilles. I’ve now learnt my lesson and don’t point these things out until I own them.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any eels myself, but it's gorgeous!
Despite costing me less than 1/13th of the price of the sharptail, I still think the banded is the prettiest of the snake eels.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 39

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite costing me less than 1/13th of the price of the sharptail, I still think the banded is the prettiest of the snake eels.
I’ve always liked the thought of keeping an eel but never really took the step.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back