Never used a aquarium filter sock before

  • Thread starter Thread starter tydeck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tydeck

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 24, 2022
Messages
465
Reaction score
328
Location
Meriden, CT
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my new IM Nuvo 15. I never used a filter sock. Can I just add a couple of teaspoons of Rox carbon into the sock.

i always use the inTank media trays but want to try the filter sock
 
I am setting up my new IM Nuvo 15. I never used a filter sock. Can I just add a couple of teaspoons of Rox carbon into the sock.

i always use the inTank media trays but want to try the filter sock
You can, may be easier to put the media in a pantyhose or simular bag then in your sock.
 
I would avoiding adding carbon to the sock.....it will get ground up and turn to dust.
+1 You should never put carbon in anything that causes it to grind into itself as that causes carbon dust which is a major no no.
 
Ok then. I want the center chamber for a chaeto fuge.

Guess I’ll get the media chamber down the road. I’ll just toss a small bag in the 3rd chamber for now.
 
Ok then. I want the center chamber for a chaeto fuge.

Guess I’ll get the media chamber down the road. I’ll just toss a small bag in the 3rd chamber for now.
I would love to see this Fuge
 
The refugium idea is great. I have a fluval 13.5 in my office that has the center chamber stuffed with gracilaria algae. I light it with a cheap Amazon grow light on a timer. Works pretty well to keep PO4 down. Also the gracilaria is a bit more hardy than chaeto in my experience, though slightly less effective at nutrient uptake.
 
I would love to see this Fuge
image.jpg
image.jpg



Here you go.
 
Is that light shining directly through the back of the aquarium? Did you have to make any modifications?
 
The refugium idea is great. I have a fluval 13.5 in my office that has the center chamber stuffed with gracilaria algae. I light it with a cheap Amazon grow light on a timer. Works pretty well to keep PO4 down. Also the gracilaria is a bit more hardy than chaeto in my experience, though slightly less effective at nutrient uptake.
do you mind posting a link to this light ?
 
do you mind posting a link to this light ?
I would if I could lol. I ordered it on my mom’s Amazon account before I had my own account. That was a couple years ago. It was around $13. It’s a single fixture on a gooseneck attached to a clamp. It’s the weird pink light spectrum that is commonly used for house plants.

edit: tried to find it on Amazon, but cannot find the exact one.
 
Is that light shining directly through the back of the aquarium? Did you have to make any modifications?
Yes. It’s a fluval 13.5. Velcro’s to the glass I scraped the blacknmesh off the glass.

use the inTank media chambers. Fuge is middle one
 
Last edited:
I use a filter sock and skimmer on my 135 gal and have to dose sodium nitrate and phosphate or my nutrients are undetectable. You may be looking at too much export on your system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new