Never using Fritz salt again

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having issues with crud lining my brute after a single mix.

Then I go to use up the last of the box and this crap gets dumped in my fresh RO water

Freshly cleaned bin too

Fritz if you’re reading - you’re from my state but this crap is not worth the cost - if I want dirty crud everywhere I’ll go dry out some sea salt from Corpus Christi and dump it in.

F489C065-60C3-45E9-8B42-5519287A3056.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just off-white powder, or something else?

If it is just some calcium carbonate precipitation, it may be no concern. I've never really understood why many folks so strongly prefer a mix with no precipitate.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not talking about the milky look - that’s just fresh salt that hasn’t mixed yet

I’m talking about those flakes of crap floating there

reefkeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar results but assumed it was contaminated by my mixing bin. Did you use it, any problems?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have the same problem? I think instant ocean was like that to me years ago. But now I want to switch to fritz, are they still any good?

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the brands have some form of dirt or organic matter in in. Most of it just decomposes without any problems. It looks bad but I haven’t had any problems. It also comes in waves. Might have a couple of clean bags and then a dirty one

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Fritz do that when I mixed it for longer than a few days. I didn't worry about it. Now I mix until clear and turn off the pump until I'm ready to use it.

I've not had mine cloud up like that, do you dump it all in at once? I add 1/2 cup at a time and wait about 15 seconds or so for it to mix a bit before adding the next portion.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had zero issues with the Fritz RPM. This is how I mix it, and it’s cleared up quickly and doesn’t precipitate.
-heat water to 72
-mix in salt to desired ppt
-heat to 78°
-mix for 90-120 mins
-ready to go

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salt was a bit nasty lately, and I think it's actually because my HVAC is on a lot right now, kicking up dust and other **** into the air. I started covering it and it no longer has those issues.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run your FSW though a RODI canister with a sediment filter. Catches any and all crap including the brownish clay like substance in IO and RC. Problem solved.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run your FSW though a RODI canister with a sediment filter. Catches any and all crap including the brownish clay like substance in IO and RC. Problem solved.

FWIW, there's no clay in normal IO, and I doubt what you see in Reef Crystals is clay either.

Any precipitate from normal IO is calcium carbonate, and I see no reason to actively remove it beyond settling out.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there's no clay in normal IO, and I doubt what you see in Reef Crystals is clay either.

Any precipitate from normal IO is calcium carbonate, and I see no reason to actively remove it beyond settling out.
Yeah not sure what it is. Just looks like clay. I've heard something about anti-caking substance. In either case, my sediment filter that I pump my FSW through winds up looking like I ran mud through it after a number of WC's.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not sure what it is. Just looks like clay. I've heard something about anti-caking substance. In either case, my sediment filter that I pump my FSW through winds up looking like I ran mud through it after a number of WC's.

Yes, RC does have brown deposits that normal Io does not, and since the main difference relates to added organics (vitamins and metal chelators), I suspect it is partly that material, or bacteria consuming it.

Normal IO (and other high alk mixes) leaves lots of ordinary calcium carbonate. It completely disappears when folks acidify the water.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.

1689617562381.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back