neverdie's 30 gallon stand and tank build

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fired up and happy to be back in the hobby. I have been reading tons of threads and this project will hopefully reflect those influences. I will be picking up my IM 30 L in about a week. Today I finished the stand frame and will be working to skin it this week. I based the stand design on what I found here https://www.porsa.dk/produkt-kategori/akvarieborde/

Putting this together has been fun, I feel that the leveling feet really added to this build, in the past I was unhappy having to shim stands. My goal for this week is to skin the stand and begin to work on the undertank set up.

I look forward to feedback that will no doubt aid me with this project.
20171119_121850.jpg

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the materials from 80/20, I did not order all the parts I needed initially but I got it right the second time around. The lengths are cut to order and the connectors are off the shelf.

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a real nice frame!

I like the fact that slimmer (metal, as opposed to 2x4s) material will leave you more room to work with under the tank.

~Bruce
I liked the sleek look of it and I hope that I can stash all the gear I need/ATO reservoir under there. This week I will try to figure out the basic layout of the powerbar/ATO in addition to sourcing acrylic for the outside

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:
I am beginning to work towards the layout of the inside. I was able to able to get a shelf that was the about the right size for the bottom. I am trying to come up with a way to have shelf that slides out of the side of the stand to have a workstation for tests etc.
20171121_151019.jpg

Today I ordered the panels that will make up the skin of the stand. I hope I got the measurements right...I guess we will see

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the project to the basement and added the bottom and added one drawer slide for the lab station. I would like to only use one slide so that when extended the mechanism is not exposed, but as I was working it became clear that the MDF store shelf was going to be too heavy for a single side support and the provided fasteners.

20171121_184415.jpg
20171121_184404.jpg

I am open to any ideas about what kind of shelf could work in this application, it will likely have to be light and rigid.

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the acrylic panels today and I am going to attempt to flame polish the edges. Watched a youtube video, what could possibly go wrong?
20171122_131127.jpg

If this thread ends here it means I have burnt down the house

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cancelled that mission. I tested the flame polishing on an unseen area of the finished product and I was concerned about discoloration so I stopped. In preparation for this project I read a number of threads debating the merits of magnets vs velcro to fasten the panels to the stand. I am going to try command strips.

20171122_133522.jpg
20171122_133454.jpg

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Command strips I think were an ok idea but in application I believe that velcro will work better for me. Also the power bar arrived.
20171122_173422.jpg

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you planning on attaching any panel to the quikframe? i see in your thread your using a "off the shelf" connector? are you using the steel reinforced or just the standard poly connectors? i think porsa uses a poly covered metal connector...

i have a stand made from this stuff and have some opinions of my own. i dont want to derail your build thread tho. i like the attention to detail! acrylic looks real clean/modern. you could try and hand polish the edges?? maybe with some novus 2 or 3.. actually you should prolly buy the "123" kit( https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-P...11873771&sr=8-3&keywords=novus+plastic+polish) to maintain that nice blue acrylic! might not be as glossy as a flame polish but it will at least remove some of the machining marks off the edges.

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be attaching the panels to the frame. I'm not sure how the connectors compare to the porsa connectors. It is interesting the you brought up hand polishing as I was going to try that next

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"i will be attaching the panels to the frame" i see the use of velcro in your pics. i am referencing a more permanent attachment method like screws. at least on a back panel. purely to increase torsional rigidity. some pics of mine for example..

Untitled by s. seal, on Flickr

Untitled by s. seal, on Flickr

this stand is 24x12x30" has a ada 60p(17gal) on top of it and even with the back,top and bottom screwed to the frame flanges. i still get some sway when cleaning the glass and doing maint on the tank. cant imagine what it would be like with 30gal and nothing preventing side to side movement.

not trying to rain on your parade or anything. i think its a great material to use and have no regrets whatsoever! just trying to pass on my experience with this stuff. i did all the research, looked at all the pics on google and read all the build threads before i committed to the build. porsa states aluminum core connectors on the site for aquarium stands. i used the all plastic ones from 80/20 likely the same as you? and have some movement in the stand.. do i think it will collapse? nope.. would i want a someone leaning on it? nope.. lol! hope this helps! just trying to provide some feedback and sorry for the derail!

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, don't worry about offering your advice I am here for feed back and support (including structural).

All of what you stated makes perfect sense. You have perfect timing because I am going to be continuing work on the stand today.

The max span between supports on my tank is 18" which I hope will decrease the sway that you are experiencing. After reading your feedback I will be adding supports to the rear of the frame. Off to the hardware store.

PS my only other tank was a 60-p and it is a great looking tank, any more pics?

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure ill thow a couple more up! tank is set up as planted.... a neglected planted! lol

image by s. seal, on Flickr

out of control!
image by s. seal, on Flickr

when i set this up i was at a different house. the tank was on carpet and i thought that was causing the slight instability? even 3d printed some pads for the leveling feet to try and stabilize it some with a bigger footprint. did it help? nope.... new house has hardwood hickory and its still wiggles! lol

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some braces to the back of the stand which have added stability and were worth the effort. They have the added benefit of providing mounting options for under tank improvements.
1511895384599697124273.jpg

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying flame polishing again after getting board with using sandpaper. Seems to work much better on the translucent panel and does not have the noticable discoloration present on the white panel I tried
1511896780593558141837.jpg

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank in place with a scape using real reef. Just testing out the equipment and scape before getting wet.
20171129_172114.jpg

Now I am going to stare at it and figure out the undertank management, the left side is the electrical right side ATO reservoir and other wet stuff.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I've got a 30g 24x24x12 I need to build a stand for and 80/20 has been on my lost of options.

OP
OP
neverdie

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick frame product that I used is much cheaper than 80/20, but requires additional bracing for stability (thanks coseal) and peace of mind.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back