OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about using some wire organizers like yours but I hate looking at wires. We use these raceways in some of our elevator controllers. They work pretty nice.

I may also rework the drain later. During the day it’s not noticeable, especially with a 1 year old and 2 German shepherds in the house. At night with the kid and dogs asleep and everything in the house turned off it sounds like a waterfall.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the raceway installed. Once I start getting more equipment in I’ll probably have to add another one or two pieces for excess wire.
IMG_0717.jpeg

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates. I’ve been working out of town and just 5 hours before I’m supposed to come back home the wife called an said there is water all over the floor. Ended up being the very last connection in the drain line. I didn’t glue it because I figured it was right there in the sump being gravity fed and I couldn’t even take the connection apart by hand.
IMG_0736.png
Ended up glueing the pipe into the bulk head, no more water yet. Also upon inspection of the rest of the piping I noticed that a return line going into the tank bulkhead was missing glue. Got to that before another disaster happened.

Next update, we have diatoms.
IMG_0735.jpeg
Ammonia has only dropped 1ppm in a week though. I found an old hydor koralia pump in a box that came with the tank so I threw that in hoping more water movement would help.

Last on the update, I found a banana in the bathroom.
73317232313__6BEFFE5F-0AEB-4A01-A91E-2E812C216573.jpeg
Think of that how ever you will, I found it extremely funny, but I’m a simple guy.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Been there and had the scramble of, oh **** I didn’t glue that joint! Always a journey plumbing your own system.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully I caught it before anything happened on the return. The drain was my own mistake thinking it would be all fine.

jdthome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. I somehow left the rubber o-ring from a union that caused some entertainment when the return pump was powered.

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was move in day.
IMG_0769.jpeg
It was nice seeing the clowns immediately find each other then find their rock structure they grew up with.
Do I see 2 return lines on this 120 gallon aquarium? I am very interested because I purchased a used 120 gal with plumbing etc included. I only have 1 return line & looks like a durso setup.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates. I’ve been working out of town and just 5 hours before I’m supposed to come back home the wife called an said there is water all over the floor. Ended up being the very last connection in the drain line. I didn’t glue it because I figured it was right there in the sump being gravity fed and I couldn’t even take the connection apart by hand.
IMG_0736.png
Ended up glueing the pipe into the bulk head, no more water yet. Also upon inspection of the rest of the piping I noticed that a return line going into the tank bulkhead was missing glue. Got to that before another disaster happened.

Next update, we have diatoms.
IMG_0735.jpeg
Ammonia has only dropped 1ppm in a week though. I found an old hydor koralia pump in a box that came with the tank so I threw that in hoping more water movement would help.

Last on the update, I found a banana in the bathroom.
73317232313__6BEFFE5F-0AEB-4A01-A91E-2E812C216573.jpeg
Think of that how ever you will, I found it extremely funny, but I’m a simple guy.
LOL, I spend more time then I'd like to admit in those darn "Blue Boxes" (most of the ones in my area are blue) and you never know what you'll find.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool! You're actually ahead of me. I have the green light to replace my flooring, which is key to me. Mine, also, is going to be a slow build. Good luck. Following.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow is best
It really is. I have time to buy the equipment I need (lol, including the tank). All I'm gonna use from my old 90G set up is the light fixture (an old school TEK 8x54W T5 set up) and the rock within the tank. I still have my old return pump (RIO 2100 return and a MAG 9.5 powering the old school ETSS-400 skinmer). Those will be used in garbage cans.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raceway was on Amazon. It was $20 or $30 for 7 feet of the stuff. I’m not sure if that’s what is actually called but any wire trough we just call raceway. Like I said before we use it in a lot of our elevator controllers. It’s still a mess of wires but it’s hidden and makes me happy. And yes it has 2 drains and 2 returns.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is. I have time to buy the equipment I need (lol, including the tank). All I'm gonna use from my old 90G set up is the light fixture (an old school TEK 8x54W T5 set up) and the rock within the tank. I still have my old return pump (RIO 2100 return and a MAG 9.5 powering the old school ETSS-400 skinmer). Those will be used in garbage cans.
I also have an old skimmer in the garage I’m debating on using. I don’t feel I need one right now with such a small bio load.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. I took out one of the larger rocks and tried to make a tall piece in the back corner. The epoxy I got was not good at all and could only get about half the height I wanted. But since my brain coral is not happy at all being exposed to direct light I figured I’d keep it short and move the brain to the dark corner. Probably move my frog spawn and hammer too since they don’t seem all that happy with the intense light either.
IMG_0800.jpeg
IMG_0798.jpeg
IMG_0801.jpeg
As you can notice I’m using a couple bottles to cast a shadow on it currently as I noticed its colors starting to bleach a couple days ago. My stylo and green slimer seem to absolutely love the new tank.The stylo has had crazy polyp extension and the slimer has grown a little since the transfer.

I also installed an old skimmer that came with the tank. No pictures though until I clean up the mess of wire I didn’t bother putting away.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an old skimmer in the garage I’m debating on using. I don’t feel I need one right now with such a small bio load.
I hear ya. That old E.T.S.S. of mine will be my backup. Right along with the Mag to power it. I'm definitely upgrading. Probably to an RO 150 SSS Space Saver. Although there is another I saw that intrigued me (can't remember the name right now). It was, of course, more expensive. But it looked like the air & water adjustments were seriously idiot-proofed. I like idiot-proofed.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This old skimmer has no adjustment in it. I literally just threw it in and it started pulling some gunk out. After seeing my drain weir completely covered in gunk I decided I did need the skimmer. After 6 days I have no more large bubbles in the drain.
IMG_0803.jpeg
About 5 or 6 days of skimming. No idea what brand it is. It’s just an old skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back