New 125 gallon tank build!

Fishflakes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its finally starting to come together. My first saltwater tank and i decided to go big with a 125 gallon build. Have a 55 gallon sump underneath in my stand as well. (Eshopps ADV 300) I used mostly dry pukani rock, which i cured in a brute can in my garage to keep the smell out of my house. (Wife would have killed me) I seeded with a couple big chunks of live fiji rock from my LFS. My phosphate levels are low due to the series of water changes i did in the brute can. Im thinking thats why i havent gotten any algae yet in my display. I dont want to add a CUC until i see some algae because theyll starve! Ive been running my lights for about 6 hours a day during my cycle but im thinking i should up it?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its finally starting to come together. My first saltwater tank and i decided to go big with a 125 gallon build. Have a 55 gallon sump underneath in my stand as well. (Eshopps ADV 300) I used mostly dry pukani rock, which i cured in a brute can in my garage to keep the smell out of my house. (Wife would have killed me) I seeded with a couple big chunks of live fiji rock from my LFS. My phosphate levels are low due to the series of water changes i did in the brute can. Im thinking thats why i havent gotten any algae yet in my display. I dont want to add a CUC until i see some algae because theyll starve! Ive been running my lights for about 6 hours a day during my cycle but im thinking i should up it?
Congrats on your first saltwater tank! Start a build thread and let's see some pics! How long have you been cycling?

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

OP
OP
Fishflakes

Fishflakes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic of the display. The system has been running just shy of two weeks.

1544059012414-928249881.jpg

OP
OP
Fishflakes

Fishflakes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im testing 0 on ammonia now. I used aquavitro seed bacteria to jumpstart the cycle. My LFS touted it. I think im gonna ghost feed some to see if ammonia levels fluctuate and how long it takes to go back to 0? Im pretty green with this. I appreciate any advice. Online everyone seems to use different methods to cycle. Shrimp, Dr tims etc...

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a very nice looking tank, I really like the rock work

Welcome to R2R as well it’s great to have you with us!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and I'm happy for you Fishflakes. Everything looks really great. Often one does not need to run lights during nitrogen process but it doesn't hurt if one does.

I really like how you're planning for its future. Thanks for joining and sharing the pics. You are doing a great job.

~Cheers~

Back