New 160 gallon setup

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers, I have a question? Do any of you have sumps in a basement at your house for your up-stair displays or are the sumps for your tanks in the bottom of the cabinets. I am setting up a 160 gallon 4ft x 3ft x 22in with built in left back corner drilled bottom overflow. I am thinking seriously about adding the sump in my basement so I can do the water changes from the basement floor. I know i will have to spend the extra money and get a 12 to 15 head pressure external pump. what are your thoughts?? My basement stays a consistent 68 degrees. I'm planning on putting the sump on a 3ft tall stand then plumb it to the upstairs. it is exactly 10ft from my floor to the top of the sub floor of my second story. i need some ideas about what i will need to support the 160 gallon cube? i need pros and cons. the upstairs where i am planning on setting the tank is hardwood floors in need of some refinishing.? lol sounds like i need to spend the cash on refinishing the floor huh? :neutral:

bluwinghawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if you put both upstairs your display is going to wiegh atleast 1336 lbs just with water not including sand and rock plus what ever your sump will be is it an exterior wall how big are your floor joist 2x8 2x10 is their a girdle (support beam ) in this location, my self im working on having it drain to the basement and use a smaller pump to push up the fresh batch water into the sump have RO going to both locations for top off and new batches i dont know if this helps you out
Rick

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the sump in the basement, makes for easy maintenance, especially if you get a big enough sump. My current tank and sump are in the basement but my previous tank was upstairs with basement sump. I designed my current sump so I don't have to shut down the system to do a water change and I have pumps doing most of the work during a WC (simi automated). As far as the support, I would double up on the floor joists in that area. If it's next to the main support beam and the sump will be below the tank in the basement, you might also want to add one or 2 lolly columns to better support it since that would be unusable space in the basement anyway.

bluwinghawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and if you dont have access to trusses tou can run a support beam under them with loli
I would do the sump in the basement, makes for easy maintenance, especially if you get a big enough sump. My current tank and sump are in the basement but my previous tank was upstairs with basement sump. I designed my current sump so I don't have to shut down the system to do a water change and I have pumps doing most of the work during a WC (simi automated). As far as the support, I would double up on the floor joists in that area. If it's next to the main support beam and the sump will be below the tank in the basement, you might also want to add one or 2 lolly columns to better support it since that would be unusable space in the basement anyway.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't forget pics!!

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160 Build Pics Day 1 Arrival 021.jpg
160 Build Pics Day 1 Arrival 006.jpg
160 Build Pics Day 1 Arrival 010.jpg
160 Build Pics Day 1 Arrival 017.jpg

Attachments

• 160 Build Pics Day 1 Arrival 005.jpg
    160 Build Pics Day 1 Arrival 005.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on the used sump? its 4ft long, 18in wd x 20 tall. I was wanting a refuge in this system. it has two 1" bulkheads in each back corner, the right side is driiled with 2in bulkhead for external pump. the sump will be directly under the floor where the tank will be. I thought about running both drilled drains (drilled 1-1/2') dt into a 2 in drain then split at sump. I need to stop the down flow from flushing the sump tank with high pressure? any ideas

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for folks with sumps in the basement. Do you have dual overflows on your display tank? I have 2 x 1-1/2 in drains I plan on running into 1 line behind the display into a 3" drain to sump which is 6-1/2 ft directly below. I am buying a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda next week, and the factory rep insisted I use a 1-1/2 in return to the display. I am wondering why a few people told me to run a 3" drain?? Their reason I guess was to oxygenate the water into the sump. that's 1-1/2 x 2 = 3 " line. Another little problem I was thinking about was the return split into 2 lines going in the sump. It will be a lot of splashing in the 20" tall sump?? what are your plans for your sump?
unsure.gif

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sump in the basement. The reason for the large drain is to relieve back pressure so the draining water runs more freely then you have less gurgle (fill and flush) noise at the display.

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Dog , is 2 , 1-1/2 drain lines going into a 3 in drain + 3 in hole in the floor OVERKILL??? I have the All Glass Overflow kits for each side, the drains have silencers on them. I am beginning to think I need these running into a 2 in line to the sump then split into a dual lines in the sump. I need some real help, I'm just confused at this point. I'm setting my tank on the stand tomorrow. I did figure out how to adapt the 1-1/4 " bulkhead to 1-1/2 " pvc to go to the 2" tee then into the sump. So now I really don't want a 3" hole in the floor 2" seem big?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building the Sump/refugium QT room . Ordered the pump, new RO/Di sytem from The Filter guys. Reeflo pump ready, and the plumbing is laid out. Dang I m tired. This is a major project!! But i will have my piece of the ocean SOON!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back