View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both holes done!
Not bad considering it's 3/4" glass:D

20180921_192906.jpg

20180921_192845.jpg

Nice! I love the glass pictures. I have never drilled a tank before, so it was cool to see. Your past tank was impressive.

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I'm glad I was able to share that perspective with you :)
Time to go clean up and paint the back of the tank.

Some quick details:
The aquarium is an 8 x 2 x 2 rimless 3/4 with low iron front and sides built by Planet Aquariums. I purchased it from a local fresh water/planted hobbyist a week ago along with the steel stand.
It was already drilled with 3/4" returns and 1" drains in the corners as it was plumbed to canister filters. I'll re-use the returns and cap the drains and run the 16" Synergy Reef Ghost overflow bean animal style.
Water is going to be filtered by equipment housed in a Bashsea Triton style sump and returned to the display via two Neptune Systems COR 20 pumps with 1.25 plumbing.
Going to have a little fun with this since I can't do an in wall (no proper locations) I'm plumbing everything into the master closet.
Going to be fun!

20180920_190819.jpg

Last edited:

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following closely. I just ordered my 8x2x2 yesterday and am planning my sump and plumbing. Looking forward to seeing how you make this come together. What are the dimensions of your Bashsea sump? I was thinking Icecap 48xl but I really like the looks of you Bashsea.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it regular glass? That was some think glass you drilled out!

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following closely. I just ordered my 8x2x2 yesterday and am planning my sump and plumbing. Looking forward to seeing how you make this come together. What are the dimensions of your Bashsea sump? I was thinking Icecap 48xl but I really like the looks of you Bashsea.

Thanks for checking out the thread! Congrats on the new tank! The sump is 48 x 18 x 16, I like it alot, very well built.

Last edited:

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this looks like a fun build. What type of lighting are you going to use? I’m going to follow your build, keep the pictures coming.

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this looks like a fun build. What type of lighting are you going to use? I’m going to follow your build, keep the pictures coming.
Hey thanks for checking it out!
I'm not dead set on lighting yet, however I saw the Kessil 360X at MACNA and they were impressive. I had a good conversation with Jeffery Lee of DiCon (Kessil's parent company), and I was pretty convinced it was time to try them on a display since they will be wifi capable, are 20% brighter in a smaller form factor and the price is decent. We know they are the king of shimmer, and their chips are designed to produce a full spectrum wavelength conducive to growth and color. I have just been spoiled with the Radion tech, and I've had pretty good success with them but...I hate the disco ball. If I decided to run them I would for sure add the diffusers.
The other aspect of the lighting decision is aesthetic. I want minimalist, and the Kessil checks that box. The thought would be to install them inside some sort of custom pendant housing, provided they can remain cool, we have 10ft ceilings so that could be interesting to play with. Wires would go through the ceiling and into the closet behind the tank for controller access. Unfortunately wifi isn't happening until next year so...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a fun build! Taking over the master closet for a sump room now that’s a dedicated hobbyist!
You know it!
I practically relinquished my half and borrowed some of the wife's space...what can I say I got me a keeper!:D
Thanks for stopping by and checking out the build.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back