New 29g bow front build

Cebackhaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm sure there's already many discussions on this type of thing, but I was hoping to pick everybody's minds. I picked up a 29g bow front tank from a guy for free, using for now as a place for my few small koi over the winter. Throughout the winter I plan on accumulating what I need to start a mixed reef with it this spring. I've ran about every type of filtration at some point in time, not opposed to cleaning a hob or canister, not sure which way I want to go with this. I will be building a new stand first, and soon. After that I will have to drill the tank (if I go the sump/refuge route) and design/make the sump. My biggest question is, if I go that route, where exactly should the hole be drilled? I've seen them at the bottom of tanks, and near the top....any input as to what placement works best AND What type of overflow is most efficient?? My seamless acrylic 65g fowlr (and anenomes) was already set up with a sump so I've never had to make/do this from scratch.

Also, I do plan on making, or trying to make, a foam/rock wall for the back of the tank as well....I've seen threads that make it look fairly easy, and look great. So much to do over the next few months....can't wait.

Thanks in advance for any help/input/advice. Been a long time forum reader, first time poster.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back