New 300 gallon tank

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 300 gallon glass tank and I am planning on reefing it out. I absolutely need advice. I am new to this and would love any input I can get. Luckily, I have zero financial barriers. Thank you and have a happy and healthy dayy!! :)

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero financial barriers. Lol I wish. Seriously though take the free advice from everyone but don't forget to do your own research too. And go slow. Sure you can get top of the line equipment right away and that will help but nothing substitutes time and patience

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost done with the custom furniture, and ill be sure to post pictures. I have been reading a lot on the large builds and an so excited to get this started. Thank you for those who have responded so far, and I look forward to sharing this with all of you :) Have a happy and healthy dayy!!

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill tag along is it reef ready? And what Dimensions is it. Start planning LEDs or mh. I got a 240 I'm about 90% of the way done with feel free to check it out.

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow no budget tank? I think that is everyone's dream. Congrats! Like bow said take your time and research, and nothing good comes fast

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be used for an epic reef display. The dimensions are 98" (l) x 24" (w) x 30" (h) and received the tank from an actor friend over here in los angles for next to nothing (he was going to give ME money to move it out of his place. The tank is on custom furniture and have a copper patina'd frame and canopy. He told me that it was 300 gallons but Im thinking that it might be bigger. Math wiz's please let me know. I am restoring the furniture for now (it was white and I am making it darker to match my home decor) and updating the hardware. He gave me some equipment and live rock/sand but I am going to be purchasing all new gear and media. I just want it to be an epic reef tank, however having no experience in reefing, I figure I could learn a lot from those of your who have done this for years. Thank you all for your help and I will be updating this thread constantly. My name is Greg and I live in Southern California. Awesome to be a party of this community. Thank you al for your input and for following along :)

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the grammar. I swear Im college educated haha. I will proof read before posting from here on out :)

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill tag along is it reef ready? And what Dimensions is it. Start planning LEDs or mh. I got a 240 I'm about 90% of the way done with feel free to check it out.

Thank for for the supports and I will check out your build. It seems like I've been spending the last couple of weeks checking out builds and getting inspired :) #blessed

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have tons of experience in hydroponic growing (I do live in california after all) so MH is familiar, however I think i will be using multiple LED fixtures and MAYBE supplement with MH. What are your recommendations? I like the control that LED's have and low power consumption and heat production. What are the benefits to MH aside from intensity? Sorry if these are fundamental questions.

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mh are great for growth and some people swear by them, but high heat and energy and bulbs are expensive. Led is getting better won't get as much growth IMO but lower costs and more control and the shimmer is amazing. I personally like T5 good color spectrum and I have had amazing growth. In all honesty it is what you like/want. This is a discussion that can go on for ages. Find what you like and stick with it

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mh are great for growth and some people swear by them, but high heat and energy and bulbs are expensive. Led is getting better won't get as much growth IMO but lower costs and more control and the shimmer is amazing. I personally like T5 good color spectrum and I have had amazing growth. In all honesty it is what you like/want. This is a discussion that can go on for ages. Find what you like and stick with it

I think ill go with a combination of metal halides and LED. What equipment do I need to have to be ready to put water in the tank?

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what does it take to make the tank 'reef ready'? the tank is 96" x 24" x 30"

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends if you a sump or not, which I would suggest, with no money cap I mean the sky is the limit but to just get it going tank(which you have) light, sand, live rock, overflow( which I suggest drilling the tank) plumbing, sump, return pump. Ultimately it depends on what kind of tank you want to do

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse Osmosis filter with a Deionization stage (aka RODI). In my opinion, this is the first thing to buy after getting a tank. Too often people start off without it, thinking that it's not worth the coin while there are lights and pumps to buy. Not paying attention to water quality is a big mistake.

Good luck with your build. Ask a lot of questions and be patient. It takes time to do things right. :)

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse Osmosis filter with a Deionization stage (aka RODI). In my opinion, this is the first thing to buy after getting a tank. Too often people start off without it, thinking that it's not worth the coin while there are lights and pumps to buy. Not paying attention to water quality is a big mistake.

Good luck with your build. Ask a lot of questions and be patient. It takes time to do things right. :)

+1 good point

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! I am going to get the reverse osmosis, and the majority of the equipment this weekend. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what reverse osmosis system and sump size do you recommend?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back