OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends if you a sump or not, which I would suggest, with no money cap I mean the sky is the limit but to just get it going tank(which you have) light, sand, live rock, overflow( which I suggest drilling the tank) plumbing, sump, return pump. Ultimately it depends on what kind of tank you want to do

Thanks for the good info. I have a sump that came with the tank and will have to start posting pictures to really get the most of this. There is also an over flow with one hole at the bottom. I was also planning on getting an Apex controller. I should probably take a trip to the local aquarium store and start asking questions too…make myself a part of that community. Thanks for your continued advice/input and support :)

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wat size sump will I need? will I need a skimmer at first? Are there just going to be rocks in my tank the first couple of months? any good literature to read up on? All help is appreciated and met with a smile :)

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do us all a favor post some pic if EVERYTHING, if it look odd or different post that will help us out a lot. post what equipment came with it a little white vinegar it thing look brand new. also your tank is 300g. on your sump size that's up to you I like the 1/4 rule, 1/4 of your display volume is the min. size sump you want to have. And agree completely with rodi as first.
Followed by (IMO)
Sump
Skimmer
Return pump
Mp60 x2 (sides)
Mp40x2 (back wall)
That way you can set up and start to cycle and decide on lights.
You also need to think about sand (how deep) or bare bottom. What rocks dry or live. Your controller you can wait you have at least 2 months before you even need to think or use it. Check out dr. Tim's one and only. Very little cycle time might be up your ally.

Last edited:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in SoCal are you located? Can recommend some great LFS where you can be guaranteed you will deal with very knowledgable reefers and not people who just want to **** your wallet

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea be careful going to Lfs, you won't need a skimmer at first, and at first just rock, most people use dry rock for the base, or "base" rock which is cheaper then live rock on to of the that.

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in los angeles. I have a friend who is a manager at a wholesale only reef supply (sea dwelling creatures, i think) and am getting live rock for 1.5$/# and live sand for 1$/#, is that a good deal? He may also be able to help with LFS, ill know more this saturday when i meet with him. Where are you at in so cal? Thanks for posting on this thread. I will post pictures tomorrow morning if not tonight. I appreciate everyones support and for making me feel comfortable and welcomed into this community :)

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT say zero financial barriers at your lfs lol

+1 to that

And if you haven't notice Bob Fenner is very conservative with reefing, which I have taken a liking to, but you will find out everyone has Assn idea for everything, what worlds for them may not necessarily work for you. I keep a very simple tank and I like it that way

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can your Hand on a chiller and a backup generator that will benefit you. Invest in a rodi and make sure you have a way to store the water. Also auto top off. A doser is also a benefit. High quality salt is also great benefit. I suggest led such as Eco tech . Make sure the sump can fit a Refugim. More live rock is a benefit for you.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in los angeles. I have a friend who is a manager at a wholesale only reef supply (sea dwelling creatures, i think) and am getting live rock for 1.5$/# and live sand for 1$/#, is that a good deal? He may also be able to help with LFS, ill know more this saturday when i meet with him. Where are you at in so cal? Thanks for posting on this thread. I will post pictures tomorrow morning if not tonight. I appreciate everyones support and for making me feel comfortable and welcomed into this community :)
i am very familiar with SDC. I would like to direct you to Aaron. He is the owner of SPS Coral Store on Foothill in La Canada/flintridge. This is a reef only brick and mortar store. It is small but can meet every need you have. Aaron will match all dry good prices you can find online. He is also a master in building stands. He will take great care of you. He's the go to guy for us reefers in LA/SFV/SCV areas. Please tell him Rik/dodgerblew sent you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was out of town for a week for the holidays. While I was away, I received a 300 GPD Spartan RO/DI system and an APEX controller. I will be posting pictures of my tanks and my progress asap/ I tried to post pictures but was having some difficullty with my mac so please bare with me. All is shown except my 2 x 150 MH that came with the tank. I will be buying all new equipment and am abut 75% ready to move the tank in my room. I hope you all have had a great thanksgiving and any advice on picture uploading is appreciated lol. Thank you all !!!

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
file://localhost/Users/gregferron/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2013/11/19/20131119-090049/n9QPSBJ2RQ6+i9uDlaYbiQ/IMG_2878.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 264
OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
file://localhost/Users/gregferron/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2013/12/03/20131203-194037/r61FlMtSS9OUF67LhSRDxA/IMG_3072.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 267

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back