New 300 gallon tank

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Wonca...Wow!!! No Financial Barrier, how lucky can you be. Can't wait to see the equipment you will be installing on this build, definitely will be following along.

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am definitely finding a comfortable place in this community. I can't wait to share this with you all :)

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along your tank has a lot of realestate looking forward to seeing some pics with progress reports and what tenants you plan on going with diggin the art work above the tank aswell

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. What kind of tank should my RO water be stored in? I heard plastic can leech and so I was thinking metal?

casey187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not metal. food grade plastic water containers are best IMO. I use two 55 gallon plastic drums. I also have a 300 gallon tank and wish I had the capacity to store more as i can only do a 25% water change. You never know when you will need to do a 50% water change so i would have done 3 drums or 1 large container if i had it to do over.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the equipment list look like.

Are you a DIY type of person? If so you might want to build a LED array for this. I would but I have budget constraints.

Vortec pumps after time will get loud due to bearing failures. I love my vortechs but let it be known this do get noisey

"Z"

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not metal. food grade plastic water containers are best IMO. I use two 55 gallon plastic drums. I also have a 300 gallon tank and wish I had the capacity to store more as i can only do a 25% water change. You never know when you will need to do a 50% water change so i would have done 3 drums or 1 large container if i had it to do over.

Awesome thanks for the advice. I will be grabbing as big of a food grade plastic barrel as I can find :)

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the equipment list look like.

Are you a DIY type of person? If so you might want to build a LED array for this. I would but I have budget constraints.

Vortec pumps after time will get loud due to bearing failures. I love my vortechs but let it be known this do get noisey

"Z"

I am pretty DIY but with my business taking off, I don't have tooooo much time for new projects.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a reactor from the start. I got mine from BRS (bulk reef supply) I run Rowa-Phos and If you run it from the start you should never have any Phosphate issues it lasts 3 to 6 months and wont leach back into water when full. If you get a dual unit you can run carbon in one side as I do. Over sized skimmer is a must. reefledlights.com has some great LED kits and pre made fixtures. They have Best quality bin LEDs I would put 4 over your tank but 3 would work. They are as powerful as a 400watt radium MH. 6 stage RO/DI got mine at BRS too. Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. MY choice reef flakes for sand and Carib sea dry rock.
This is big if you have the time I suggest you buy dry rock not live rock. you make it live. Buying live rock almost always has things in it you don't want in your tank such as aptashia. Using dry rock you can glue it all together and get it just how you want it. Make sure to think about coral placement and make shelves and over hangs with areas to place corals. Hope this helps I could go on and on. I have a list of stuff I know now and wish I had done from the start.

OP
OP
W

wonca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a reactor from the start. I got mine from BRS (bulk reef supply) I run Rowa-Phos and If you run it from the start you should never have any Phosphate issues it lasts 3 to 6 months and wont leach back into water when full. If you get a dual unit you can run carbon in one side as I do. Over sized skimmer is a must. reefledlights.com has some great LED kits and pre made fixtures. They have Best quality bin LEDs I would put 4 over your tank but 3 would work. They are as powerful as a 400watt radium MH. 6 stage RO/DI got mine at BRS too. Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. MY choice reef flakes for sand and Carib sea dry rock.
This is big if you have the time I suggest you buy dry rock not live rock. you make it live. Buying live rock almost always has things in it you don't want in your tank such as aptashia. Using dry rock you can glue it all together and get it just how you want it. Make sure to think about coral placement and make shelves and over hangs with areas to place corals. Hope this helps I could go on and on. I have a list of stuff I know now and wish I had done from the start.

Thanks I appreciate all the advice I can get. A good friend is the dry goods manager at a wholesale only reef store, so I am going to be getting a lot of equipment through him at under half retail price (lucky me). I will be cleaning the tank today and hopefully be placing it inside (finally) either this weekend or next weekend. I own a indoor plug-n-grow greenhouse business (check www.facebook.com/myculturecloset if you have any interest at all in it) and have a ton of orders to fill before the holidays so this project will have to be done in the sparse spare time that I have unfortunately…time to buy all the equipment I need. Also my friend is giving me 320 lbs of live dry sand (i haven't figured out which type yet and dry rock (about 300 lbs) any other advice? where is a good l=place to get a 75 gallon+ sump? do i make my own?

casey187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would look on craigslist for a used 75 and then go online and find a design you like and put baffles in it your self. You should have more than enough room to have a refugium in it also.

rapture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok hold on here!!!! with no budget restraints ??????? ok call these guys, have them build you a custom sump! Custom Filtration Components, sumps, filters, protein skimmers etc. next .. youll need 8 of these .... Radion ? XR30w Pro | EcoTech Marine then you will probably want to get 2 of these for the front of either side he tank VorTech ? MP60 | EcoTech Marine now for the back of either side of the tank you will need 1 on each side VorTech ? MP40 | EcoTech Marine so there will be 2 pumps on the left side pane of glass and 2 on the right pane of glass. with the mp60wes in the front where there will be no rocks. and the mp40wes on the back of the side pane of glass where the rocks would be on direct flow!!.... then I woul do 2 more mp40wes on the back wall for forward flow. you will need one of these for each pump, its a battery back up just in case Battery Backup | EcoTech Marine then youll want to have these carbon and gfo reactors NextReef MR1 Monster GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor then youll want to get this .. its a calcium reactor .. Korallin C4002 Calcium Reactor with Eheim Pump then lol youll want a really nice skimmer. I would go with this. CoralVue- Reef Octopus Diablo DCS 300 In Sump Protein Skimmer I would also purchase the optional neck cleaner . next is your bio pellet reactor to help with nitrates and bring back beneficial bacteria back to your corals !!! NextReef SMR1 Solid Media Reactors

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back