New 40 breeder, fish ideas?

bwiniecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been in the hobby for a few years and am setting up a 40 gallon breeder. The fish need to be fish and invert safe. I already have a pair of mocha vinci clowns. Im just looking for some stocking ideas so post away.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank - that is a great size! You may want to consider 3-5 captive bred Bangaii Cardinals.

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder too, a midas blenny and/or a yellow coris wrasse is on my list of fish to get. Lubbocks fairy wrasse, firefish, blackcap basslet, really any blenny are some other fish that would be great for a 40B.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 40 breeder
2x Occ. Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Not-so-coris Wrasse
Mcoskers Flasher Wrasse
Bangaii Cardinal
Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby
Longnose Hawkfish (Coming Soon)

But a 40b has alot of potential for stocking. You really just need to sift through the different pages on liveaquaria and pick out a handful you like.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow clown goby small fish but one of the biggest personalities. Mine scares my fox face away from his birds nest he sets in. 2-3 purple fire fish are also cool.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 40 Breeder I have an occ clown, royal gramma, helfrichi firefish, orange spotted goby, and pink streaked wrasse. All very timid, and they hide a lot, but I think it’s plenty of fish. I would not add any more than 5 to this tank.

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting a Possum Wrasse. They are some of the most adorable wrasses out there and completely safe with fish and inverts. I would also say I love the Tailspot, Bicolor and Yellowtail Black Blenny *pick 1* They do an excellent job at cleaning mine is constantly cleaning my rockwork in glass. There are multiple types of Chromis you can add *They usually do good in a group of 3*. You could also add a few Firefish. I kept a Longnose Hawkfish in my 40 gallon with my clowns and they got along great and he never ate any inverts.

To recap my suggestions
Possum Wrasse
Tailspot/Bicolor/YellotailBlack Blenny
Chromis

Firefish
Longnose Hawkfish

You have plenty of options I hope that you have fun stocking your tank :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 104 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back