New 5 gallon tank ideas?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a fluval spec 5 gallon and I'm not sure what to do with it yet. I don't even know if I want to go fresh or saltwater. It'd be nice to have another marine tank since all but one of mine are fresh, but in something that small it'd be hard to fill it out and make it really lively and interesting. I'd definitely put sexy shrimp in it, maybe a pom pom crab. Other than that I just don't know. Anyone have any ideas of fish that could persuade me to go marine instead of fresh? So far everything I'm seeing are small gobies which are nice but don't do a whole lot (ik that's the point but still I'd like something that'll swim around a bit with some color)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DB9ED40-7C23-41DB-94F0-4FCCBCAB0CD0.jpeg

One Azure Damsel with some Zoas on pure white sand in a 5-gallon... what could be more grand? :)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you searched 5 gallon on the forums? tons of ideas and inspo

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
291256B2-6F2C-4060-936B-407C37ED98B4.jpeg

This is a 7-gallon AIO I once dabbled with; you can do a lot with a little. :)
That looks great! I know I can make an aquascape I like, and I'm confident and comfortable with my ability to choose and keep coral. It's just the fish issue. I want something I could keep in there for it's full lifespan without causing any issues with health or well being. And I'm struggling to find species that I like while at the same time meeting those requirements. I'd love to put a damsel or clown in there but I just don't feel like it's enough space to hold a full grown adult of those.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely, I have a white ‘designer’ clown in there; he was happy. Find a type that stays small and swims with a lot of ‘wiggle’... “not” something like a Saddleback, for example. But I’m telling you, the Azures light-up like a Christmas Tree. And they pretty much Keep busy just guarding their rock. Lol.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely, I have a white ‘designer’ clown in there; he was happy. Find a type that stays small and swims with a lot of ‘wiggle’... “not” something like a Saddleback, for example. But I’m telling you, the Azures light-up like a Christmas Tree. Lol.
Hm. Maybe I'll revisit the idea. Would an azure do ok in my 75 with my 2 yellow tails? If I change my mind I could potentially move him into that tank.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the 75 gallon? 4-feet? A lot might depend on the rock work— and how your two Yellow Tails have established their territory. (Which if you can rearrange might help.) Best-case scenario is both Yellow Tails have a rock on one end that they both share, leaving a rock at the other end for your new Azure to claim. But I do have a mix of both in my 150; I even have a buddy one-of-each in a 24-gallon, so it all depends. Allow for a day or two of initial aggression in your 75 and you’ll probably be OK long term if there are other fish for distraction.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the 75 gallon? 4-feet? A lot might depend on the rock work— and how your two Yellow Tails have established their territory. (Which if you can rearrange might help.) Best-case scenario is both Yellow Tails have a rock on one end that they both share, leaving a rock at the other end for your new Azure to claim. But I do have a mix of both in my 150; I even have a buddy one-of-each in a 24-gallon, so it all depends. Allow for a day or two of initial aggression in your 75 and you’ll probably be OK long term if there are other fish for distraction.
Yeah it's a standard 4 foot, and I'm TRYING to upgrade to a 120 but can't find one at a good price, used or new. My do exactly that, hang out together by a little cave and only occasionally swim around. Usually if they think I'm going to feed them soon (they have a moderate understanding of my schedule even though feeding times change from day to day a bit) so maybe it would work. And I always like to stock heavy so there's a ton of other fish in the tank. Part of why I'm trying to upgrade lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back