New 55g with two clownfish - Too much flow?

RobTorMar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

So I added a couple of clown fish ( black ocellaris and davinci ocellaris ) to my newly cycled 55g and the fish seem to have a hard time swimming in some spots. I'm wondering if I have too much flow??? I'm running a Fluval FX6 and a jebao SW 15. I have another Jebao that I haven't turned on as the stank is still pretty new and only have the two fish.

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too concerned. As long as you provide some rockwork that allows them to escape the flow and find refuge then they should be fine. In my experience, the more flow the better. I think most people would be shocked to see the amount of flow that is in the wild reef environments. In our tanks, the water is moving at many gallons per hour; in a real reef, the water is surging around the rocks at many gallons per second.

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be worried either. My clownfish like to play in the high flow by swimming hard at a return pump or powerhead then being blown around the tank, rinse and repeat every minute or two. When they get tired, they just hang out in lower flow areas.

OP
OP
RobTorMar

RobTorMar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be worried either. My clownfish like to play in the high flow by swimming hard at a return pump or powerhead then being blown around the tank, rinse and repeat every minute or two. When they get tired, they just hang out in lower flow areas.
thanks

OP
OP
RobTorMar

RobTorMar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too concerned. As long as you provide some rockwork that allows them to escape the flow and find refuge then they should be fine. In my experience, the more flow the better. I think most people would be shocked to see the amount of flow that is in the wild reef environments. In our tanks, the water is moving at many gallons per hour; in a real reef, the water is surging around the rocks at many gallons per second.
thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back