Is my flow too strong?

jorge_lopez

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Location
Bronx, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Recently set up a tank and I added my first two fish & a coral last week! I have a 25 gallon IM AIO lagoon tank with a Jebao Jecob DMP-20 wavemaker. I'm wondering if my current/flow is too strong because the only time I see my purple firefish come out is when I feed and I'm not sure if he is struggling to swim, I have it set as low as it goes and it still kind of looks like he is struggling to swim to me.
 
Forgot to attach video in the OP!
o
 
I don’t usually even think about the fish just the coral when I’m thinking of flow. That Duncan is just gently flowing. Fish can handle way more flow than that! If he couldn’t handle it he would be in the safety of the rocks.
 
I swam a fish to death in a 125 gallon tank that had a pool pump on it for maximum circulation. So it can be done, but as others have pointed out the water motion is good in this situation.
 
I've never once thought about flow and my fish, but that is just me. Your firefish looks fine. Mine would always hide by a cave entrance when it got spooked or when I was close to the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new