New 5ft tank best setup? Best fish?

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon/evening/morning depending on where you are
I've been reefing for just over a year now. Using a 100litre nano and canister filter, as i have no sump. managed to grow some nice corals. But the size has been an issue, with what I want to achieve.
Well for the last few months I've wanted to upgrade to a larger tank, kept putting it off, expense and placement was an issue. But ive finally bit the bullet and bought a 5ft 422 litre with sump.
It's a beautiful rimless aquarium. L150cm xW50cm x H45cm.
It does come with lower quality LEDs which I could grow low light corals with.. they have been using multiple same tanks at my lfs with success in softies for years. So I know I could do it with mine. But eventually I will invest in some better lighting to grow coral. But since I'm over 2k in my budget it can wait.
I've got tank, skimmer,sump,pumps,uv light, etc etc. All the essentials to get started.
I'm using prodibio sand (discounted because of the spend)
About 22kg of Marco rock. ( could pinch some live rock out my other tank but run the risk of algae issues from it)
I'm also using ceramic bricks in the sump to create more bacteria space. Would this help me reduce the rock amount in the display tank?

As I'm aware, other wise I would need double the amount of display rock. Which I dont want it over crowded with rock, as I've found it difficult to clean everything. I like a good crafted reef in the tank with plenty of flow all around.
Luckily the guys from my LFS are coming to set it up with plumbing and filling with sea water, which saves me mixing 400litres of saltwater .
But now I need to decide what stock am I going to go with..obviously after its cycled. I've been restricted with fish in my little nano tank... now well.. it's like the local sweet shop throwing sweeties I just dont know which ones to catch..
I need some help with this. As obviously it will dictate on how I do my rock work etc. I'm going to build it outside the tank. I do love aquascaping but if i get boisterous fish the the stack method is a no no.
So what fish would you recommend?
Do like Angel's and tangs . All with different issues I know. But I'm not sure with the size of my tank. And whether I will upgrade my lights to grow better coral.. again will dictate on what fish . So many choices I just dont know which direction to take with the new tank.
I think I will put my two 4 stripe humbug in the new tank eventually.
Is there any equipment you would recommend?
(I'm still running the 100litre alongside the new one clowns two spots and humbug in there)
Any ideas would be appreciated

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs like lotsa space. For a Zebrasoma tang, the yellow tang does not get large and should do fine. Good news is just about any Ctenochaetus tang will work. I like the yellow eyed Kole tang.

For angels, I would only consider a dwarf angel. The problem with angels is none of the ones I like are completely reef safe. So getting one is a crap shoot.

OP
OP
Hellybell80

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been 6 weeks since the cycle started. I used colony's bacteria. With a few damsel. Following the Lasse method.
Using my seneye to monitor the ammonia. Plus salifert test kits for nitrate and nitrites.
Cycled quick. No massive amount of ammonia detected. About a week and a half to do to where all nitrite had disappeared. Amount was never that high.
I did make sure that I kept my 100litre tank going incase the amount of ammonia was high.

The usual diadems blooms came and went, water was stable, with no big swings.
Week 3 I set up the refugium as, here I was starting to struggle in getting things I needed with the lock down. So when I managed to get the last piece of cheato available I snapped it up.

With the rocks turning different colours with new micro algae growing over, I decided to go get clean up crew. There was a yellow tang in the LFS, after talking to the staff it was going to be the last one in a while , with the cost of them sky rocketing because of the ban. So I got him bagged up, along with a blue eye kole. Both were eating well. But the yellow had been treated with copper in their system. Nothing unusual for tangs I suppose. Already had a QT tank set up, so they would go in there where I could watch.

Only did a week in there as there were already quarantine at the LFS. Plus they were showing signs of stress. So added them into the DT.
Very happy after a few days. Blue eye kole went from being blotchy to getting his fantastic sheen. I did feed frozen and live food to get them conditioned, since it's a stressful time for them.

Week six and it's all good, stable and the fish are doing good. I did have to transfer my stock out of my 100litre as it developed a leak... this happened a few weeks back.

So I now have
Yellow tang
Blue eyed kole (work horse)
3 yellow tail damsel
1 four stripe damsel.....( he will go back into a different tank)
2 clowns
2 pyjamas cardinal.
Corals
3 Hammers which have developed and extra 8 heads on each..
Favia, acans, monti, chalice and zoas.
All the coral are growing and seem to be happy.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video gives a better view of all the little crevices and caves. Sorry about sound... Iron man was on...

should get a wrasse of some kind i have a carpenter and a sixline in my 5foot tank along with 3 small purple tangs a yellow eye kole tang and a small blue hippo and alot of other small fish 2 clowns,clown goby,mandarian goby,black blenny, diamond goby and 2 banghai cardinals i think my male has eggs in his mouth which would be cool if they make it to my sump with my longspine urchin down there almost forgot have a royal gramma and a firefish too

OP
OP
Hellybell80

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should get a wrasse of some kind i have a carpenter and a sixline in my 5foot tank along with 3 small purple tangs a yellow eye kole tang and a small blue hippo and alot of other small fish 2 clowns,clown goby,mandarian goby,black blenny, diamond goby and 2 banghai cardinals i think my male has eggs in his mouth which would be cool if they make it to my sump with my longspine urchin down there almost forgot have a royal gramma and a firefish too
I've been looking into wrasse for a while... pickings are slim at the moment. But its definitely on my going to get list.
Six line wrasse is a no. Had one before it was a t##t.
I want a breeding pair on mandarins but want to wait a cpl of years till the tank is older and has a better supply of pods etc.
Loved my old diamond goby, but it decided to carpet surf a few times. The last time was in the night, didnt get to it till it was dried... even had a lid on it.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice video, tank looks great and you rock scape turned out awesome :)

OP
OP
Hellybell80

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice video, tank looks great and you rock scape turned out awesome :)
Thank you... but he more I'm off work the more I'm looking at it...the more I want to change it haha. It's got plenty of space for corals and lots of little caves and crevices, which I believe helps the fish be more tolerant of each other if they have places to go.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back