New Acan - tissue receding

  • Thread starter Thread starter nomar5050
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nomar5050

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
6
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

Got this Acan on Sunday, and the head that’s not looking good was the biggest one when I bought it.

Dipped in Coral RX on Sunday, did an iodine dip earlier today.

All other corals look good

Any other thoughts on what I can do to stop the tissue loss?

Salinity- 1.025
pH - 7.9 (always struggle to keep pH up)
Alk - 9.5
Calcium - 400
Magnesium - 1300
Nit - 4
Phos - .4

The first picture is when it was outside the tank after the iodine dip. Second pic is when it’s back in the tank

IMG_6499.jpeg IMG_6501.jpeg
 
phosphate and nitrate are out of balance, you generally want ~1:50 ratio of therabouts of N to P, you could work to correct that, probably by reducing P as it is a bit elevated

However, Acans/micromussa in my experience are quite hardy, and I would suspect it is getting too much light or direct flow causing that recession. Your numbers are good enough that I wouldn't expect chemistry to be the cause, especially if your other corals are happy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new