New Acro/Coral/Invert Quarantine Tank

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my dream 220.6 waterbox recently, and plan on starting the cycle in the next two weeks.

However, I have dealt with every single pest possible over the last 10 years, that completely wrecks my success every time I am having decent acropora/montipora growth and it is incredibly discouraging because I monitor my parameters like no other.

* Black Bugs
* Red Bugs
* AEFW
* Velvet that kills all fish

No more..

I plan on doing a slow 4 month cycle in the waterbox, and purchasing two 20 gallon tanks that I can stack. Bottom will hold fish, top will hold corals and inverts.

How do you quarantine your coral? I was thinking of 72 day fallow period for each coral, using AI prime for the light (I am using Hydra 52s in the big tank). Same for the fish, but to get a head start, I want to begin these quarantine tanks at the same time that I begin cycling my new tank so that way when the cycle is complete, I can start adding my quarantined animals to the display tank. I don't think a dip is enough to deem a 200 gallon tank free of pests.. I would hate to have a fully stocked tank and all of a sudden 1 frag plug ruins it all.

Am I missing anything, do you have any suggestions?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the hydra 26s or 32s or 2 primes for a 20g. I doubt a single prime will produce enough par for 72 days on a 20g tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back