New algae growth

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be taking any action, or just letting it ride?

Tank is about 2 months post-cycle. Finally turned on the lights...I suspect I had the white lights on too long (about 8 hours), but reduced to about 3hrs at 50% with remaining time at blues. A couple days after the lights turned on, a green algae covered everything... light green. The algae has darkened since somewhat...no hair like growth, though. Nitrates were quite high at that initial algae time (50ppm range) and PO4 around 0.06-0.08 (Hanna phosphate checker). I've been doing about 10% water changes weekly initially to drop the nitrates post- cycle.

Today:
Amm: 0
Nitrate: 10 (been on slow decline)
PO4: 0 (has been 0 for past week or so)
Temp: 78.8
pH: 8.12
Salinity: 1.025
CUC: Nerite Snails, Cerith Snails
Refug: Chaeto (growing well about size of a melon) and same green algae covering walls in sump

So again, should I be taking any action such as scrubbing the rocks, siphoning the sand, etc... or just let it ride?

20171201_224133.jpg

20171201_224202.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different as far as the new tank uglies goes. Some like to increase the frequency of water changes, scrub the rock lightly with a toothbrush to stay ahead of the large spots of algae, turn over the top layer of the sand bed with a turkey baster a bit. Keep an eye on your nitrates level - don't let it get to zero. And lastly find a sweet spot for your lighting schedule. Lots of fun. Start thinking about a sand sifting goby and some algae eating fish (Fox Face, etc.) to help you to do less work :rolleyes:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I'd look at more cuc. I'm a turbo fan.
What fish do you have and what are you feeding?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only have 2 clowns in a 75g tank and I'm feeding once a day PE Pellets by Pescine Energetics soaked in Vitamarin-M. I occasionally switch it up and give frozen, but they really don't seem to eat it as much as the pellets. Very little makes it to the bottom...I feed in increments and the fish get at least probably 90-95% of the food.

I'll look into some turbo snails... the nerite are pretty much useless. They just hang out all day at the water line.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 clowns in a 75g tank and I'm feeding once a day PE Pellets by Pescine Energetics soaked in Vitamarin-M. I occasionally switch it up and give frozen, but they really don't seem to eat it as much as the pellets. Very little makes it to the bottom...I feed in increments and the fish get at least probably 90-95% of the food.

I'll look into some turbo snails... the nerite are pretty much useless. They just hang out all day at the water line.
Sounds like your in top of it.
Mostly my question comes form how did It get there lol.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of those! Do you know how many is adequate for a 75g tank?
I suppose it would depend on how much food (algae, etc.) there is in the tank for them to feed upon. I got 5 to supplement my CUC team that was already in the tank.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just received some turbos today! Hopefully they will make good time in this algae!

+1
Just got me some real nice Ninja Star snails from KP Aquatics. Real hungry and kinda neat looking. Check them out:
https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/ninja-star-snails/

Absolutely agree. Hardest workers in my tank.

My snail order from KP Aquatics arrived today! I bought some of those Ninja Stars, they really do look nice in the tank! Also got some Nassarius to start cleaning any possible uneaten food from the sand bed.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just received some turbos today! Hopefully they will make good time in this algae!

Tell me what you think of the ninja stars.

My snail order from KP Aquatics arrived today! I bought some of those Ninja Stars, they really do look nice in the tank! Also got some Nassarius to start cleaning any possible uneaten food from the sand bed.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well so far, they are just sitting on the rocks like bumps on a log... but I figure they will get to know their new home in a few days and become more social.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, give them a day or two to adjust. Mine freaked me out. They were and still are climbing up onto the egg crate racks in my coral qt. Dudes can climb.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just so you know mine stay in one area and devour everything then move to the next almost like working in a grid pattern.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back