New Anemone! Need Some Help

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I just purchased a Green BTA off of LiveAquaria. I was excited to see the nem when it got to me, but it got delayed and the nem spent 48 hours in a bag! When I opened the box I saw that the nem was inside out. There was zooxanthellae all over the bag. I floated the bag in my tank for 20-30 minutes. I then added some ammonia remover to the bag water, after I opened the bag, and started a drip. After 30-45 minutes (drip acclimating) the anemone had slowly retracted its guts back inside of itself. However, around the mouth there are these big white "lips". I don't know if that is normal or not. The tentacles also seem to be quite small, but not stringy like they were when it first arrived. I placed the BTA on a rock, and it attached, but moved and let go. The tentacles were in the sand, so I grabbed the nem and put it on another rock. It did the same thing. I tried one more time, same thing. It would let go and go to the bottom of the tank and sit there on its tentacles. I figured I'd leave it be for the night. I woke up this morning and the nem wedged itself under and inside a rock. There was no way I could move it. I turned the rock, so the nem could get some light. It hasn't moved since. This morning I also noticed that the white "lips" are still there. Is that normal? Should I feed it? Here is a pic of the nem.
IMG_1734.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With loss of zooxanthellae which contributes to coloration, allow it time to take in water and light which you will need to provide.
Moderate light and water flow s generally sufficient for its needs.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he went from rolling around unattached to attached, that would be an excellent sign IMM. Just let him be.
I would definitely not feed it for a month, but, provide the normal system lighting schedule and let him find home.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back