New Apex eB4 appears as EB8

Joseph Trost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased 4 brand new EB4's to add to my set up. Three of them register correctly with the Apex controller and appear as EB4's. One of them however insists as appearing as an EB8. I have deleted and tried re-adding a few times. Has anyone seen this before? Is it a bad EB4 where it was incorrectly flashed at the factory as an EB8?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the EB4's Configuration page, then choose Software Update and save the changes. This should clear up the problem.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Trost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the EB4's Configuration page, then choose Software Update and save the changes. This should clear up the problem.
I tried this, and unfortunately no change... still thinks it's an EB8. Thanks for the suggestion though!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this, and unfortunately no change... still thinks it's an EB8. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Are you the same person who also posted this EB4 problem on the Neptune Facebook group? If not, it's interesting that two people have the exact same problem on the same day.

Which model of Apex do you have, and what version of AOS is it running?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Trost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, no I didn't post on Facebook, so two people I guess (interesting coincidence....). This is an ApexEl running 5.06 7D21. I do also have a full Apex running the same software, but haven't tried plugging into that system, as it's running a 500 gallon stony coral reef, and I didn't want to get into something odd happening in that setup.... The EL runs a 100 gallon softy setup that my wife loves.

This all started because I had two EB832's fail within two weeks of each other on the 500 gallon setup each with the 5V power supply issue and decided to replace all of them on both setups before I had anymore fallout..... In total I've replaced 5 EB832's with a combo of EB8's and EB4's. Only this one EB4 has given me trouble....

OP
OP
J

Joseph Trost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, no I didn't post on Facebook, so two people I guess (interesting coincidence....). This is an ApexEl running 5.06 7D21. I do also have a full Apex running the same software, but haven't tried plugging into that system, as it's running a 500 gallon stony coral reef, and I didn't want to get into something odd happening in that setup.... The EL runs a 100 gallon softy setup that my wife loves.

This all started because I had two EB832's fail within two weeks of each other on the 500 gallon setup each with the 5V power supply issue and decided to replace all of them on both setups before I had anymore fallout..... In total I've replaced 5 EB832's with a combo of EB8's and EB4's. Only this one EB4 has given me trouble....
I just requested membership on the Facebook group... I didn't know it existed, but would like to follow the other problem posted there...

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am the guy that posted on Facebook with the same problem, hmm sounds a HW issue, how recent you got the EB4 and from where, maybe a bad batch with firmware of an EB8? you know the typical identity crisis . I will open a ticket soon but sounds too suspicious.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all started because I had two EB832's fail within two weeks of each other on the 500 gallon setup each with the 5V power supply issue and decided to replace all of them on both setups before I had anymore fallout.....
@Joseph Trost what 5V power supply issue are you talking about?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Trost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB4 is brand new bought this week from a large online retailer. I don't want to get into which one, and cause any issues.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joseph Trost what 5V power supply issue are you talking about?
See:

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB4 is brand new bought this week from a large online retailer. I don't want to get into which one, and cause any issues.
well i did buy it too from one too, retailers just resale the HW i was just trying to get into if there was a bad batch of EB4

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I did open a case and I am getting it RMA, it seems there has to be a Firmware reprogram on the device.

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! I will open a case as well.
This is a firmware issue that started when they released 7d21.

I have 3 eb832 units working just fine before I applied this update...

After the update, 3 bricked EB832's within 1 week.

On all 3 units, the fan is not working now, and although it shows the outlets being controlled, they have no voltage at them. I confirmed this on all 3 units..

Not exactly happy at the moment...

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I guess it's time to plug the collection of new EB4 and EB8 I bought recently to make sure all is good for a new setup.

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add, this wasn't an isolated issue with me.

3 EB832's on 3 separate systems, in 3 different client locations, minimum of 20 miles away from each other.

The 7D21 update was quickly replaced with the 7F21 update and now the 8C21 update... all within 3 weeks time... little fishy

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your EB832s?
I'm not 100% convinced the problem is with the update. Although, can't rule it out either.
The 12v PSU is a much more widespread issue and I wouldn't be surprised if older EB832s are failing rapidly.
If your EB832s don't have the UL sticker on the back under the mounting plate, plug them into power in a darker room and check if you can see a dim read light inside between 120V outlets on the right front side of the unit. If you don't see the red light, the problem is with the hardware and not firmware.

The symptoms you are describing are much more indicative of the 12v PSU hardware problem than the firmware.

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 year 10 months
1 year 4 months
1 year 1 month

I confirmed the power light/s on all of them, and they are indeed out, and also confirmed with a 3 fans not working (the other telltale sign), and know of the issue related to the power step-down module, I've replaced 2 of them in the past.

But 3 eb832s inside 2 weeks with identical failures ( loss of 110v at every socket no matter if in Auto or ON) right after updating to 7D21...

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
1 year 10 months
1 year 4 months
1 year 1 month

I confirmed the power light/s on all of them, and they are indeed out, and also confirmed with a 3 fans not working (the other telltale sign), and know of the issue related to the power step-down module, I've replaced 2 of them in the past.

But 3 eb832s inside 2 weeks with identical failures ( loss of 110v at every socket no matter if in Auto or ON) right after updating to 7D21...

Planned obsolescence :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back