New apex worth upgrading to?

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new Apex partially based on the posts about how great their customer service is. Unfortunately, I have to weigh in with the people who find the new controller difficult to set up and the customer service worthless. I am pretty computer savvy. The actual setup does not go like the online manual and videos say it will. The screen shots are not the same, the passwords don't work after you enter them. Support does not get back to you for 12-24 hours. They pretend to have live chat but so far it has been a trap where I type in the problem and then they tell me live chat isn't really available and to open a ticket. I really really want a controller but I also really want to box this up and get my money back.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new Apex partially based on the posts about how great their customer service is. Unfortunately, I have to weigh in with the people who find the new controller difficult to set up and the customer service worthless. I am pretty computer savvy. The actual setup does not go like the online manual and videos say it will. The screen shots are not the same, the passwords don't work after you enter them. Support does not get back to you for 12-24 hours. They pretend to have live chat but so far it has been a trap where I type in the problem and then they tell me live chat isn't really available and to open a ticket. I really really want a controller but I also really want to box this up and get my money back.

Is this the new one with built in wifi, or the classic?
What are you having trouble with, I am willing to try to help, and if I can't I am sure there is someone on here that can.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give R2R a try. Post a real question here and many of us will be more than ready to help you for FREE. I have not seen a question, one can be answered logically, got ignored or not answered within 48 hours. You just need sometimes to let the apex grows into you; once you are familiar with it, you will find yourself inventing things to play with it as the possibilities are endless.
I also have computer background and TBH, I didn't read the manual. I only look up a section or "google" when I need to do something. Like the code for the ATO using the BoB with 2 float switches, I got the code from the Neptune forum :);

Moreover, even with questions that are silly, we still answer them. Someone was saying how come the apex does not email him when it loses the power... Or how come the apex does not come with its own battery in case the power goes out :); You get the point......

Now it's your turn to say what's in your mind....What seems to be the problem? We are reefers not mind reader :)

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't posting a question, just responding to the thread about whether a new apex is worth upgrading to. I have the new one with built in wifi and it is nothing but trouble. I'd love some help if you are willing, thanks. I don't mean to hijack this thread though. Is there somewhere to post an Apex setup question?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have questions regarding aquarium controllers, post them here

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/aquarium-controllers.393/

I wasn't posting a question, just responding to the thread about whether a new apex is worth upgrading to. I have the new one with built in wifi and it is nothing but trouble. I'd love some help if you are willing, thanks. I don't mean to hijack this thread though. Is there somewhere to post an Apex setup question?

glavaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no complaints with the classic. Furthermore, Neptune support is outstanding in my experiences.

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a GHL model ? Prices I found online are very expensive!
I don't have GHL . I have apex 2016 but dollar for dollar about the same price GHL has better tech support from everyone I have talked to with one has said and GHL is rock solid no false alarms very reliable I wish I had done more research before jumping on the apex band wagon . Look at some you tube vids on both for programming GHL is a very nice set up drop down menus choices Apex is like line by line text u get use to it but like writing in dos. in comparison . I may sell my apex and go for GHL soon .

ebulldog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have GHL . I have apex 2016 but dollar for dollar about the same price GHL has better tech support from everyone I have talked to with one has said and GHL is rock solid no false alarms very reliable I wish I had done more research before jumping on the apex band wagon . Look at some you tube vids on both for programming GHL is a very nice set up drop down menus choices Apex is like line by line text u get use to it but like writing in dos. in comparison . I may sell my apex and go for GHL soon .
Reading the GHL forums on R2R and the issues with the new P4 model is that there are no alerts via email or SMS which is one of the main reason for having a controller isnt it?? Seems to be in the works with GHL but just not ready yet. Unless I am wrong, this is a big issue that is missing.

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the GHL forums on R2R and the issues with the new P4 model is that there are no alerts via email or SMS which is one of the main reason for having a controller isnt it?? Seems to be in the works with GHL but just not ready yet. Unless I am wrong, this is a big issue that is missing.
There is a gal rep on this site send him a pm with all your questions he is the best source

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a profilux p4 and honestly I would have rather gotten an apex I think for fusion.

ebulldog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a profilux p4 and honestly I would have rather gotten an apex I think for fusion.
This is my issue! A P4 user saying they should have gone the Apex route and Apex users not happy with other issues. I have been back and forth on getting a
controller for well over a year and I am still not convinced on which one to go with. To many issues in my opinion vs the cost of the entire unit regardless of
which manufacturer you go with. Money isn't the issue, but getting frustrated with one is the issue.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not true if you are using Fusion to program your Apex. Very easy to do and plenty of drop down menus for lights, skimmers, return pump, heaters, etc.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my issue! A P4 user saying they should have gone the Apex route and Apex users not happy with other issues. I have been back and forth on getting a
controller for well over a year and I am still not convinced on which one to go with. To many issues in my opinion vs the cost of the entire unit regardless of
which manufacturer you go with. Money isn't the issue, but getting frustrated with one is the issue.
In a perfect world I think I would love all the profilux equipment ran with apex fusion

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just buy GHL. It's a better controller anyway. Apex is just mainstream

Why do you think it is better? That is more like a fanboy statement? I am thinking of GHL on my next build so how is it better? I personally do not care for the Apex myself and am not impressed with the classic.
Have you owned both?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back