New apex worth upgrading to?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been torn for the last year on this topic. At this point in technology I don't understand why they can't come up with a smartphone type of programming. X does X. I'd like to do my daily alk and Carbon dosings, as well as automatic water changes, but realistically I can see myself buying it and getting frustrated. I'd probably end up watching ph, which I can't change anyway, and using it as a safeguard for when my heater malfunctions. Then kick myself for spending $800 bucks on it.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Apex classic (incl gold) here are the differences:

- built in wifi
- faster/better CPU
- salinity and ORP monitoring (incl on classic gold)
- new double junction probes for pH and ORP
- individual outlet power monitoring. This is more powerful that the name would imply.
- built-in 1Link and 100w DC power supply (this helps you reduce cord and power supply clutter and gives you immediate access to value-priced accessories like the WAV and the PMUP.
- current and future abilities that can only be made to function on the newer Apex (i.e. EB832 and upcoming AI Prime and Hydra 26/52 HD support)

The classic and gold systems are a great option, but for many there are compelling reasons to step up to the new Apex.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one main reason I'd go to the newer would be wifi. I have a basement sump and workstation, so that would be worth it to me not having to run lines.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been torn for the last year on this topic. At this point in technology I don't understand why they can't come up with a smartphone type of programming. X does X. I'd like to do my daily alk and Carbon dosings, as well as automatic water changes,

The basics come preconfigured out of the box. If you want to dose all and do automated water changes, there is nothing on the market easier to set up and do that than the DOS. I currently use the DOS for that as well as my calcium reactor feed. Just tell it how much for the day and when you want it to happen and it figures out the rest for you. The DOS works with any Apex.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have an Apex classic (incl gold) here are the differences:

- built in wifi
- faster/better CPU
- salinity and ORP monitoring (incl on classic gold)
- new double junction probes for pH and ORP
- individual outlet power monitoring. This is more powerful that the name would imply.
- built-in 1Link and 100w DC power supply (this helps you reduce cord and power supply clutter and gives you immediate access to value-priced accessories like the WAV and the PMUP.
- current and future abilities that can only be made to function on the newer Apex (i.e. EB832 and upcoming AI Prime and Hydra 26/52 HD support)

The classic and gold systems are a great option, but for many there are compelling reasons to step up to the new Apex.
Wait so i can advance a setting to shut my equipment down if theres fluctuations in power usage on each outlet? Like if a snail got stuck in a pump or if a pump maybe putting more power then usuall?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basics come preconfigured out of the box. If you want to dose all and do automated water changes, there is nothing on the market easier to set up and do that than the DOS. I currently use the DOS for that as well as my calcium reactor feed. Just tell it how much for the day and when you want it to happen and it figures out the rest for you. The DOS works with any Apex.
but do you have to write lines of code before you can do this? Plug in the dos and its pretty much self explanatory?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so i can advance a setting to shut my equipment down if theres fluctuations in power usage on each outlet? Like if a snail got stuck in a pump or if a pump maybe putting more power then usuall?

Yes! And you can get alarms too. Here are some pics that actually showed something I never expected. I am monitoring the pump on my calcium reactor. Recently I got a notice on the wattage that it was low. At first it didn't make sense, then I went and looked at the reactor, the media was low and providing less resistance to the pump. My wattage alarm basically told me that my Deltec fluidized calcium reactor media needed topped off!

If you look at the graph, you can see a downward trend the last few days. Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.06.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.07.56 AM.png

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but do you have to write lines of code before you can do this? Plug in the dos and its pretty much self explanatory?
Using the DOS requires ZERO programming. Here are some pics of my set up for my ATO (Yes I had a free pump, so I decided to use it for the ATO so I could see how much evaporation I was getting and it made it easy for me to not have it run during night-time hours)

The image with the two graphs is the DOS I use for the Calcium Reactor (Left) and the ATO (right). Also above that you can see the two outlets for the AWC DOS.

Also shown is the config screen and the graph showing when and how much my DOS puts in for the ATO.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.04.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.05.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.05.34 AM.png

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of installing my new Apex... Is there a "How to video" ...this is very confusing

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of installing my new Apex... Is there a "How to video" ...this is very confusing
First off, you should use the online "Get Started" guide at www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted.

Next, I have a quick video which goes into setup in one scenario:

And for those that want to see more on the DOS:

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one main reason I'd go to the newer would be wifi. I have a basement sump and workstation, so that would be worth it to me not having to run lines.
All you have to do is add a WiFi adapter and you have WiFi. This is for the folks who already have a "classic" and not the budget for the new GOLD. I had mine setup in @ 10 mins. with some network knowledge. Don't get me wrong, If I had the budget I'd have the new GOLD just for the fun of it and for the 1Link functionality but if you're like me and cash strapped, there's nothing wrong with the classic.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure at some point in the near future I'll have one. It's one of those want things more then a necessity really. Having 3 different tanks/systems to take care of its a big financial step that would allow me to be a bit lazier more then anything.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure at some point in the near future I'll have one. It's one of those want things more then a necessity really. Having 3 different tanks/systems to take care of its a big financial step that would allow me to be a bit lazier more then anything.
It might free up some time but in my case it has helped a lot with things I would have otherwise forgotten to take care of. For example when I recently setup a new tank at my office I was topping off straight from the RO on a Friday afternoon. I hadn't yet had time to hook up the ATO stuff. So I tuned on the RO and started to fill the in sump gravity feed reserve. One of the thing I did when setting up the apex was to set the system to notify me if the salinity dropped below 33. Welp about 3 hours later while I was at dinner I started getting texts letting me know that the salinity dropped to below 33. I got distracted at work and left the RO on. That would have ran all weekend flooding the office without the apex. Disaster avoided! Your going to love your new apex :)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My classic is just over a year old. I'm quite happy with it and don't plan on changing anytime soon. When I was a computer consultant it was all about keeping up with the joneses ( and every one else) but not anymore let alone not really able to afford them

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might free up some time but in my case it has helped a lot with things I would have otherwise forgotten to take care of. For example when I recently setup a new tank at my office I was topping off straight from the RO on a Friday afternoon. I hadn't yet had time to hook up the ATO stuff. So I tuned on the RO and started to fill the in sump gravity feed reserve. One of the thing I did when setting up the apex was to set the system to notify me if the salinity dropped below 33. Welp about 3 hours later while I was at dinner I started getting texts letting me know that the salinity dropped to below 33. I got distracted at work and left the RO on. That would have ran all weekend flooding the office without the apex. Disaster avoided! Your going to love your new apex :)

Honestly, best thing about a well implemented APEX system. Tells us when we have done something dumb and when other bad things happen.

I DIY my own skimmate locker with a switch to alert me when it gets full and automatically shuts off the skimmer. Well just a few days ago I tried a new coral food and after an hour my 5 gallon DIY locker was full. If not for that switch to turn off the skimmer it could have drained my entire sump. I also added an alert so I was able to fix it right away.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, best thing about a well implemented APEX system. Tells us when we have done something dumb and when other bad things happen.

I DIY my own skimmate locker with a switch to alert me when it gets full and automatically shuts off the skimmer. Well just a few days ago I tried a new coral food and after an hour my 5 gallon DIY locker was full. If not for that switch to turn off the skimmer it could have drained my entire sump. I also added an alert so I was able to fix it right away.
Great idea, working on this now!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back