New apex worth upgrading to?

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ignoring that fact. If they aren't... Then it's worthless to stick with Apex. Competitors will take advantage of this and steal business. If I have to respend $800 I am going to look at all new options.
the newest thing is the 1link. If you have a 1link (as its own module of as part of the new eb832), which is what all new components will likely be based off, you're gonna be good to go. All other non major power consuming devices will be aqua bus supported.

My major concern is how ugly the thing is... I mean, really? That's the best they could come up with? I like my "classic" much better! My 2¢

Last edited by a moderator:

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some input. I all most pulled the gun and bought the apec classic. Now with the new release, I am wondering if I should buy it instead of the classic. Any input would be greatly appreciate. I am new to apex.
I'd buy the classic apex at the discounted price and be happy with it.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above comments...... if the new iPhone came out and looked like a gray and orange plastic flimsy POJ I'd not have one. However, I do own two original black sticker Apex controllers and could not imagine having a reef tank without one. I'll stick with the slow processor and hard-wired ethernet connections for now. The legacy units have been bullet proof for me for years.

-g

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad they came out with the new one. I figure by they come out with a second new one I'll be able to afford the old old one. Kinda like an iPhone 4. Smaller screen but still makes calls. And everyone has one in their drawer they don't use.

ebulldog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the whole controller subject, but I am having a hard time understanding why the Apex runs $600 dollar to basically test water temp and Ph, which are what the standard probes are. To control lights, pumps, feeders everything is an add on module or device. So when all said and done you are in way over $600 and probably pushing $1000. I know a lot of people on here have controllers, so I am clearly missing more to their usage. Money isn't really the issue, I could just think what $600 worth of corals would look like vs a controller!!! Thanks in advance for the help and replies.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how the controller game works bulldog.. Neptune has run the game for a good number of years, but their numerous product releases are like a month of some people's wages.. heh
After the glam wears off after the purchase, it's pretty much just the same as other controllers. I got it originally because I figured they've been around a long time and it has to be more mature of a product. I find my Reef Angel is more stable after having used them both for some time now. I guess I can't speak to stability of the new model, but I would bet the internals are pretty much new hardware with the same code. The Apex has new products coming out all the time, which means new firmware.

I think as more time goes by the open source stuff will win. Customizing your setup to your specific tank and needs will win in the end.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on if you need/want the new toys. If you already have an Apex then you have a cat 5 to it and don't need the wifi. It would be nice to monitor power by outlet and tell when the return is off, but a couple bucks for a float switch will also tell you when something is wrong. All the existing modules work with the classic.

New modules will work with the classic if they do not require memory or processing power beyond the classic. If the new module works with the classic they will have thousands of potential customers. Only with the now not so many.

This means Neptune will be in business for a while. They still sell the classic.

I am going to wait until the new system has something I am willing to pay for, besides grey and orange plastic.

DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.... if you have one stick with what you have until it breaks. Once that happens, look at whats available at that time. Neptune is headed down the single source for all things equipment route all linked into a central brain. For someone who builds a system that is a nightmare waiting to happen due to a single point of failure. I almost laughed when they said the elimination of power packs was a selling point they were proud of. I mean really?? Multiple points of failure via separate packs are ideal above a single point of failure in the magic brick. Ever here of zip ties and velcro to manage them?

This new update is really a step into the "wow" factor over viable functionality changes and would appeal to the folks who would put neon lights and big fins on their cards with spinners to look 'cool' rather than invest in the engine and suspension to make the car run fast and handle great.

The only thing that is a true improvement is the power monitoring, but you really don't need that to tell if you are getting power. You can tell that by the draw on the current system and paying attention to it. If a powerbar or plug dies, you will know if you know your numbers.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the whole controller subject, but I am having a hard time understanding why the Apex runs $600 dollar to basically test water temp and Ph, which are what the standard probes are. To control lights, pumps, feeders everything is an add on module or device. So when all said and done you are in way over $600 and probably pushing $1000. I know a lot of people on here have controllers, so I am clearly missing more to their usage. Money isn't really the issue, I could just think what $600 worth of corals would look like vs a controller!!! Thanks in advance for the help and replies.

Well, no actually. It comes with 8 programmable outlets. The only "add-ons" I bought was a feeder, and I added an orp probe (just plugs into existing port), to control my ozone. I run my ato, skimmer, return pump, circ pumps,tank lighting, sump lighting, air pumps, heater fail safe, ozonator all without buying "extra" modules. I also have sump high level alerts, skimmer collection tank high level alert/control, rodi and kalk resevoir low alarms etc.....sent to my phone via text....all without adding any extra modules....just float switches. Out of the box you can pretty much automate your entire system (I travel for a few weeks at a time regularly so this is extremely convenient for me). I can monitor/control any aspect of my tank from anywhere in the world from my smartphone....including changing programming if I like, from anywhere.

I also hat to admit, I wiped out my tank twice with fresh water. First time forgot I was topping up the tank and went to bed with the manual tank fill open.....all night. Next day I created an auto top off with failsafe with just a couple of float switches. 2nd time my skimmer went nuts, overflowed all night onto the floor, makeup kept running fresh water into the tank. 20 minutes to wire a float switch into the skimmer overflow resevoir to send alarm/shut off skimmer, and that won't happen again. The peace of mind when I travel is worth every penny to me.

Cheers

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need EcoTech Marine to come out with a controller...
I think this is closer than you may think. The Vectra M/L1 control driver has the 4th port that will support float switches and other accesories and with the ESL cloud site already bridging all the devices together, all that's missing is a switchable/programmable power bar and a device to run a few probes. The ReefLink is the brain that connects all the devices to the cloud. This is basically a reef controller just waiting to happen. Wait for the switchable power at, I'd say it's a lot closer to being released than we realize and as in classic ETM fashion, I wouldn't be surprised to see a random pic dropped into a reefbuilders email account in the next few months.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! My Apex 'Classic' does what I need for the time being so I can't justify the cost of replacing my setup for an 'upgrade'.

mkj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll stick with my ReefAngel. I've had it for 3 years, never had a problem and can get everything the Apex has plus more like having PWM/0-10V standard on all units. It's android based and very easy to program. People tend to stick with Apex because everyone tells them to get it or it's all they have ever tried. I'm a bit of a tech guy though so I like customizing my ReefAngel and playing with the Android based program. ReefAngel isn't the greatest looking thing though but mine is hidden and looks aren't everything, just ask my wife.

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Neptune. I have been using my apex (classic) for years now and before that the ac3. Neptune become so popular because they were willing to work with other companies and really had a great all-in-one controller that would work with your other products. Now they are starting to try to force their 1link (and associated products) which I understand from a business perspective but don't like as a consumer.

I will continue to use my apex classic until it doesn't do what I need/want anymore, but when it is time to upgrade it will be hard to choose this new ugly bulky apex. Neptune really needs to invest in a decent design team. I, like another posted above mentioned, hesitated on buying the Dos because of it's look but ended up getting two of them and hid them in the garage.

[HASHTAG]#TeamApexClassic[/HASHTAG]

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason for me to upgrade. I am interested, however, to see what the next few years brings for the controller market. The apex/ecotech divorce (re: vectra pump) is a pretty big indication that things aren't what they once were between the two companies.

I'm torn because I'm not in love with the fact that neptune is now diving into the pump market if it means their support for other companies will dwindle. I'm not sure if it's ecotech being ***** that neptune is making pumps, or vice versa, but I don't really care. I want a controller that can support any of the major players' pumps.

This hobby is all about finding the right components to tailor each person's setup, and if I need an ecotech return pump and a neptune powerhead, for whatever reasons, they need to work on the same conotroller.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably upgrade if/when my Classic starts acting up or when there is an appreciable difference to their capabilities. For now, I believe that they basically increased the hardware capabilities to allow for another 5-10 years of growth without really increasing current capability.

ebulldog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no actually. It comes with 8 programmable outlets. The only "add-ons" I bought was a feeder, and I added an orp probe (just plugs into existing port), to control my ozone. I run my ato, skimmer, return pump, circ pumps,tank lighting, sump lighting, air pumps, heater fail safe, ozonator all without buying "extra" modules. I also have sump high level alerts, skimmer collection tank high level alert/control, rodi and kalk resevoir low alarms etc.....sent to my phone via text....all without adding any extra modules....just float switches. Out of the box you can pretty much automate your entire system (I travel for a few weeks at a time regularly so this is extremely convenient for me). I can monitor/control any aspect of my tank from anywhere in the world from my smartphone....including changing programming if I like, from anywhere.

I also hat to admit, I wiped out my tank twice with fresh water. First time forgot I was topping up the tank and went to bed with the manual tank fill open.....all night. Next day I created an auto top off with failsafe with just a couple of float switches. 2nd time my skimmer went nuts, overflowed all night onto the floor, makeup kept running fresh water into the tank. 20 minutes to wire a float switch into the skimmer overflow resevoir to send alarm/shut off skimmer, and that won't happen again. The peace of mind when I travel is worth every penny to me.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. The skimmer overflowing was my one worry, that's why I looked at the controllers but just couldn't justify $600. I then found the "SOS' shutoff/alarm that shuts off the skimmer in case of overflow. I had 1 overflow on the skimmer which dumped a good amount in my stand ( I had waterproofed the stand ) and that was enough for me to figure a solution. For $50 it was worth it and it has an extra probe for sump overflow.
I get that the controllers can monitor all of those devices, just not sure it justifies the price though. I dont run a heater (live in Florida). I have a $20 auto feeder thats worked perfect for 2 plus years.
Maybe if the prices come down with the new release I would look at one, but its still a tough sell, for me.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back