New Aquarium Help

wyvern64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I just started this hobby. I want your help because there is a lot of information pollution on Turkish forum sites. I bought an aquarium with a second hand full system. I installed it on 19.01.2020. The materials in the aquarium are as follows;
  • 64x61x47 cm sized aquarium with back sump
  • Tunze 9004 PS
  • 28 cree led handmade day simulated luminaires ( The day simulation module will be added on 21.02.2020. All leds are 100% on now. )
  • Jebao SW-4
  • NewaJet 1700
  • 4.7 kg Fiji Rock
  • Sea Sand
  • and all corals seen in the picture
My errors during installation
  • To kill the bacteria in the water by keeping the ready water in the aquarium for 3 days.
  • I washed the aquarium sand with its own water. So I may be experiencing an ammonia explosion right now.
  • After installing the aquarium, I did not add bacterial culture.
  • I couldn't solve the day simulation for a month.
After installation
  • I regularly change water around 15% weekly.
  • I add a BioDigest bacterial culture every 15 days.
  • On February 21, 2020, I will install the water completion and day simulation.
  • I cleaned the places where I saw Cyano moss with a toothbrush.
  • I put the wave motor 8 cm deeper.
  • Since the lighting is working 100% now, I reduced the lighting time to 6 hours.
My Aquarium Value;
Temperature2626
No32525
Salinity1.0251.024
Calcium485480
Kh7.78.0

My problems in the aquarium;
  • I observe that there are cyano algae in the aquarium now.
  • The nitrate level does not drop despite the regular weekly water changes.
  • There are algae on the windows and sand.
Can you help to streamline aquarium values?

IMG_20200121_181629.jpg IMG_20200218_214301.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Glad to see you have testing equipment. They will be important tools in the future. For now, just keep salinity and temperature steady while your tank matures. Any "mistakes" you made at startup just add or subtract some number of weeks to your maturation process. Don't go overboard with water changes this early. Frequent and significant interventions delay the natural process that your biome needs to go through.

If those fish have been in there for any amount of time (and are still alive), then your ammonia>nitrite>nitrate cycle is complete. Your nitrate reading confirms this is happening.

Cyano would be a bit unusual this early. More likely diatoms? Either way, it does not matter. Over the next several months you will likely experience diatoms, green film algae, brown film algae, brown furry algae, and then maybe some green hair algae. All good. All natural and expected.

Losing some corals in the first few months also normal. Even a fish or two. Now if that paly dies, then we need to talk. :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have started with macro algaes but your tank looks like it is doing well.

my .02

OP
OP
W

wyvern64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your comments :)

An ocean I never knew is the reef aquarium for me, so I'm paying attention. There are situations when I'm worried in the aquarium right now. Such as nitrate height, phosphate burst, calcium height, cyano formation and algae in glasses. Is it enough to just make regular water changes for such problems. Or should I find solutions such as biological filter materials, vodka, sugar cubes?

I am sure that with your help I will make a beautiful aquarium. Thanks for your support

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you need to do is keep on water changes and maintainance and be ready to rehome your desjardini. He is going to outgrow your tank real fast.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya that tang is way to big for that tank!

You may not need to run the LEDs at 100% but tank looks ok for now. That could also be the reason for your algae. And bring salinity back to 1.025

Back