New Aquascape

JuanReefAtATIme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Red Sea Reefer 250 as my DT which has been up and running for about 6 months. I recently decided to completely change my aquascape. I'm going to be building it out of macro dry rock. I have a refugium up and running with a good pod population. I guess what my question is, how do I go about this? Do I cycle the rocks in a tote? Do I just replace the rocks as soon as the aquascape is built? Any info helps! Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible for you to add the new rock to the sump and/or the display tank?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not in hurry. I would build the structure externally. Paste/cement/glue it together however you want on cardboard cutout to specs of what you want
Then put those rocks in a tote or garbage can with a heater and some rock from the display to seed your design. Add a bottle of bacteria and let it seed it for a couple months. You can perform false feedings during that time.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have plans for the old rock maybe break it up into rubble and place as much as you can in containers in the sump and even corners of the tank. You just have to work quickly so the rock isn't out of water too long. Add a bottle of fritz 900 turbo start and maybe dose some microbactor 7 as you move forward. This is exactly how I cycled my reefer 300 last February using all dry rock and barebottom. I avoided uglies but my rock rubble was from a very established tank and yours is only 6 months so you may still get some uglies but at least you would be able to keep the good bacteria that you have established so far.
As suggested I would also build the scape outside of the tank.

OP
OP
JuanReefAtATIme

JuanReefAtATIme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the help!! I broke up a lot of the rock I had in my tank! And “seasoned” the new rocks for a little while! This was the old scape!

Attachments

• 537A0A76-A203-4070-B3F9-C61465671A8D.jpeg
    537A0A76-A203-4070-B3F9-C61465671A8D.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 77

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back