New Arrival Copperband In Quarantine: Treating Prophylactically

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my larger QT tank is freed up, I picked up a nice CBB from my LFS today. It looks plump, and was feeding on live brine and blackworms; I saw it eat live brine while I was there.

My question is about CBB and copper. My Google fu failed me with regards to that. Do they tolerate the standard quarantine protocol? I don’t see any signs of ich, but due to coming from the LFS and having just arrived on Friday, I’m inclined to treat with copper for 3-4 weeks, followed by general cure, to treat it prophylactically.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Good luck with the cbb, I've always wanted one! Keep us posted on how it does

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Good luck with the cbb, I've always wanted one! Keep us posted on how it does
Thanks! Same here. I debated whether or not to try one, but I decided to use some store credit and roll the dice. It looks good and ate brine for me within a couple of hours of getting home and into QT, so all good signs.
D708981D-4BB7-4831-ACC0-60D8E183C920.jpeg

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten copper bands through quarantine using copper (cupramine).
Thanks. I just wanted to confirm that they aren’t sensitive to it. Ideally, I’d use chloroquine phosphate, but when I asked my vet to prescribe it, I think she thought I wanted it for COVID or something... *sigh*

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used coppersafe with copperbands with no apparent issue.
Jay

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the copperband shaking its head and shimmying a bit today, but no flashing or scratching. I gave it a five minute freshwater dip, and started general cure in the QT tank. I saw no signs of flukes in the bucket, but hopefully it helps.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best be carefull with fresh water and butterflies. They dont handle fresh water very well at all, nore can they handle hypo if you decide to go that route lost alot of fish from pine coning due to holding water from hypo and fresh water dips that last too long in my younger days. If you do copper id go half dose and keep it there to see any reaction.

But what do i know. Ive only been doing this for 20 years

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with just general cure, but noticed signs of ich yesterday, so I’m adding copper as of today. The real issue has been getting it to eat. It’s going for live brine, but that’s not very nutritious. I’ve tried a bunch of other foods so far, but it just ignores it. Hopefully, I’ll find something that works, or it will get hungry enough to try something else soon.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the copperband shaking its head and shimmying a bit today, but no flashing or scratching. I gave it a five minute freshwater dip, and started general cure in the QT tank. I saw no signs of flukes in the bucket, but hopefully it helps.

This behavior is normal for copperbands. They shake their head when excited to see you or want food. It is part of why people say they have so much personality.

If you can buy live clam at a store, freeze it then chop it into strips.. try that. Live worms too and LRS.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This behavior is normal for copperbands. They shake their head when excited to see you or want food. It is part of why people say they have so much personality.

If you can buy live clam at a store, freeze it then chop it into strips.. try that. Live worms too and LRS.
Interesting. I just assumed it was due to some parasite, especially now that I’m seeing tiny ich spots on it. That’s cool though.

I have frozen clams on a half shell. I’ve dropped a couple in there, but have to remove them eventually. The CBB will hover near it and look at it, but doesn’t try to eat it. I also tried live black worms, but no go there. I’ve tried mega marine which has a CBB on the package, as well as frozen gut loaded brine, mysis, and even calanus. I’ll try LRS next!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I just assumed it was due to some parasite, especially now that I’m seeing tiny ich spots on it. That’s cool though.

I have frozen clams on a half shell. I’ve dropped a couple in there, but have to remove them eventually. The CBB will hover near it and look at it, but doesn’t try to eat it. I also tried live black worms, but no go there. I’ve tried mega marine which has a CBB on the package, as well as frozen gut loaded brine, mysis, and even calanus. I’ll try LRS next!

I would buy live fresh clams you feeze yourself. Those halfshell clams don't look good enough for me to eat. lol I cut them into small strips to feed.

Masstick is another my butterflies love.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since copper is an appetite suppressant I would make sure that it’s eating well before treating it. If not you’re making an already uphill battle harder I’m afraid.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since copper is an appetite suppressant I would make sure that it’s eating well before treating it. If not you’re making an already uphill battle harder I’m afraid.
Fortunately, it is eating live brine. It’s just variety that I’m working towards. At the very least, it looks well nourished right now so I’m not worried about starvation in the short term. Thanks for the heads up.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try slicing the clams in thin slices and feed with plastic tweezers. Healthy CBBs are always curious and should come over to check it out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back