New Avast Marine Auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to make sure. I believe so also. Pulled the trigger.

Right. I was just reading it and it does say it's the latest version, just with blemishes. Right here in red below it says it comes with the new Sicce pump.

I pulled the trigger on a second one as well. I am setting up a temporary tank/future frag tank, so it'll be good to have two!

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 15.08.50.png

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so I bought 3…lol. I’ve been waiting for them to go on sale. A blemish sale is good enough for me. The fish won’t mind a bit.

my next one is getting installed on the return chamber of the sump, so won’t be noticeable! That’s my excuse at least :)

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received the factory second version. I'm honestly not even sure what's a blemish, though I guess there's just a slight ridge where the body width changes a little. The whole 3D printed thing gives the body a ridged texture anyways, so it's really not a very apparent "blemish" in my opinion. Great deal on an awesome feeder. I'll try setting it up soon.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received the factory second version. I'm honestly not even sure what's a blemish, though I guess there's just a slight ridge where the body width changes a little. The whole 3D printed thing gives the body a ridged texture anyways, so it's really not a very apparent "blemish" in my opinion. Great deal on an awesome feeder. I'll try setting it up soon.
Some of the kegs themselves are perfectly normal; I have some blemished mounting platforms that might get sent instead. I'm glad you like it though!

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our good customers, Brian, had a mounting 'situation' in a canopy that required a custom approach. We collaborated on this wall mount platform (i.e., he did all of the work, I merely supported his effort with the necessary .stl and critical dimensions). If anyone needs this, we can make one for you as well. Just reach out and let us know!
Avast Plank Feeder Wall Mount v1.2.png

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated video on my PLANK. still kicking after 18 months. Added this trio of pyramid butterflies from @Marine Collectors and they were hitting the freeze dried mysis and pellet mix from the PLANK in 2 days.

They look great! Glad to hear they’re after the FD mysis that quickly. I started a nice AU copperband on reef jerky during quarantine; I think this really made a difference in how well it acclimated and settled in.
Are those bimac anthias? They seem to dig it too.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great! Glad to hear they’re after the FD mysis that quickly. I started a nice AU copperband on reef jerky during quarantine; I think this really made a difference in how well it acclimated and settled in.
Are those bimac anthias? They seem to dig it too.
Yes, those are Bimacs and they love the plank (so does the Borbonius). Had to pull the male when he wouldn’t leave the pyramids alone. The alpha female already starting to get feisty and transition color. I run a 2 min cycle twice a day and feed frozen by hand in. The evening. Fish are FAT. I mix some reef jerky in with the FD mysis and 2 types of pellets. The mysis is almost borderline too big when they’re full pieces, thinking about mixing it up with something else when I reorder. This feeder is the BEST, one of my best purchases.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept Bimacs at the advice of my buddy Copps- he mentioned they get pretty big and aggressive. I've always wanted them though. They'll definitely go for the bigger mysis & euphausia as they get bigger. I like the euphausia mini-krill more than mysis as they have more pigment. That's likely better for fish coloration, the extra carotenoids. Curious if your pyramids eat aiptasia? I was also advised that they will, but I ended up going with the Australian copperband, which has been a solid aiptasia eater.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept Bimacs at the advice of my buddy Copps- he mentioned they get pretty big and aggressive. I've always wanted them though. They'll definitely go for the bigger mysis & euphausia as they get bigger. I like the euphausia mini-krill more than mysis as they have more pigment. That's likely better for fish coloration, the extra carotenoids. Curious if your pyramids eat aiptasia? I was also advised that they will, but I ended up going with the Australian copperband, which has been a solid aiptasia eater.
Fingers crossed I’ve not had any aptasia to see.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just retrofitted my older (2021) plank with the new Sicce pump upgrade. When I turn the pump on, the water level rises in the cylinder, but I don’t see any mixing happening. The “min/max” is set about middle.

I followed the plank 3.5 instructional video! Watched it 5 times and still am at a loss. There’s also this piece that is never installed in the video:

B9810DF1-F222-46F1-84BF-406D6F970856.jpeg

I watched the install video enough times to note that they never put this anywhere either. But maybe it’s the key to swirling?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just retrofitted my older (2021) plank with the new Sicce pump upgrade. When I turn the pump on, the water level rises in the cylinder, but I don’t see any mixing happening. The “min/max” is set about middle.

I followed the plank 3.5 instructional video! Watched it 5 times and still am at a loss. There’s also this piece that is never installed in the video:

B9810DF1-F222-46F1-84BF-406D6F970856.jpeg

I watched the install video enough times to note that they never put this anywhere either. But maybe it’s the key to swirling?

ok watched the video like 10 more times and noticed that this “piece” is already installed on the divider plate in the video (I guess). So it never tells you to install it!

I guess there’s no “upgrade” instructions, just a full install of the new v3.5.

I can’t believe nobody else got stuck here, but maybe it’s just me.

suggestion for Avast: give instructions for upgrading an existing plank please.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question: what’s a great timer I can use that can run on seconds? I’m using a Kasa power strip with the ability to schedule on/off times, but only down to the minute. I used to run it in an Apex, but now just running it on this Wi-Fi power strip.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question: what’s a great timer I can use that can run on seconds? I’m using a Kasa power strip with the ability to schedule on/off times, but only down to the minute. I used to run it in an Apex, but now just running it on this Wi-Fi power strip.
Not sure how great yet, but I just found this new contender on Amazon:

In case the link breaks next week, the product title is "Techbee Indoor Digital Infinite Repeat Cycle Intermittent Outlet Timer Plug 24 Hour Programmable Timed Electrical Power Switch with Countdown Delay"

I just ordered a few to try out. If programming is reasonably easy, I will make a video showing how to do it.

It claims to have a daily on-off time range, e.g., start the interval cycle at 8am and stop at 9pm. Then it has on/off intervals down to the second, but only per hour, e.g., ON for 15 seconds, OFF for 59m 45 sec. So you'll be feeding at least per hour with this if you want seconds level resolution. Not perfect, but it looks reasonable. Personally, my Plank feeds every hour, but I realize not everyone wants this. I think does 1 minute resolution with intervals lasting longer than 1 hour.

I'll report back once I have them in hand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back