New Avast Marine Auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using one of these $7 wifi timer plugs: (Search amazon for "Mini Smart Plug Gosund WiFi Outlet" ).

it is more than sufficient for control of the feeder. No plans for 24v, by using 110v we keep the noise level silent, dc gear motors are not quiet, see video a few post above as proof. ;)

You have 110v, direct wall voltage, in the auto feeder which is intended for use inches above water?

Doesn’t that require an IP rating or other certifications? Mandatory GFCI on the cable?

Looks really cool, just curious about that aspect.

Last edited:

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one but not sure how I would get it to work with my lid. I dont really want to cut a hole in the netting.

15950035281292256811471246737531.jpg
Haha, When I watched the sound comparison video, my first impression "well this sucks, why is it only showing and can only hear the APEX AFS??" I had to watch the video twice. The AVAST feeder is so darn silent in the video, you actually have to focus on where the food is being released to see it work.

AVAST, So does this take 2 power outlets spaces to work?
As Dan said, only one needs to be controlled, and that doesn't have to be an expensive EB832 slot. A simple wifi timer will work. The little DC pump in the mixing chamber draws next to no power, so I leave it always on.

1. Tanks with enclosures above have naturally high humidity within that space, if using dehydrated foods, given enough time I'd imagine the dehydrated mixture becoming partially hydrated leading to a slimy mess up there especially in the auger area. I am sure this would take time but am curious if it's two weeks or two months. Any ideas? It's pretty warm and moist up there!

2. How often do you imagine needing to clean the plank cylinder that enters the water? The video mentions feeders eventually growing in there, rough guess on that time frame?

3. Just clarifying the unit will constantly dispense food as long as the keg power unit is being supplied power, in other words whenever the keg outlet is on its dispensing food, and using the timer to turn off that outlet is how we turn it off?

Great product btw I'm a customer for sure!
My setup is out in the garage and in my glass solarium (two tanks), so both are effectively outside. Humidity can be really high- winter/summer 95%+. (Spring and fall are really nice, though!) Sometimes, a little will cake up, but I've found that it will fall into the mixer pretty regularly. It never creates a slimy mess though, even on the outside. The only time I could see it becoming a problem is if you have active splashing on the feeder. i.e., air bubbles popping, creating heavy salt creep that nobody will have long-term anyway.

2. I clean out mine every few months. I use the brush to clean in place most of the time, just poking it through the drain. A full cleanout gets a run through a vinegar/acid bath to take off coralline algae from the outside of the tube. That really depends on the system, as does the rate of little tube worms growing inside. I suppose that also depends on what you're feeding- coral food is going to grow tube worms faster than mysis shrimp, for example.

3. Correct on the power. The keg unit is simple- plug it in, and it runs. With so many control options out there, we didn't feel the need to make it more complex with buttons and a built-in control timer.

Isn't it difficult to find Anthias that eat dry food though?
I've found that they can wean onto frozen/freeze dried from live. Some species are certainly trickier than others, but many of the common ones will quickly take to freeze dried calanoids. The fish get fantastic color from the bright orange/red copepods.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 110v, direct wall voltage, in the auto feeder which is intended for use inches above water?

Doesn’t that require an IP rating or other certifications? Mandatory GFCI on the cable?
We've been using the same basic motor assembly in the Swabbie and kalk stirrer for about 10 and 13 years, respectively. We haven't had any issues with it. By all means, plug any and all aquarium equipment into GFCI protected circuits!

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you manually drop frozen food into the plank? Will that cause any issues with the unit? Seems like it would work.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine... it's robust in a good way for me!

Very happy with the sturdy mounting design, I've had feeders dunk in the tank more than once and see no way for that to reasonably happen.

The feeding chamber is easy and appears that it will accommodate a mix of food without caking which is a huge advantage in small particle foods.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine... it's robust in a good way for me!

Very happy with the sturdy mounting design, I've had feeders dunk in the tank more than once and see no way for that to reasonably happen.

The feeding chamber is easy and appears that it will accommodate a mix of food without caking which is a huge advantage in small particle foods.

Awesome Ryan !!!! Am so sad and angry that you beat me to getting it

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you manually drop frozen food into the plank? Will that cause any issues with the unit? Seems like it would work.
Yes. Just drop a cube or other chunk in, and the mixing pump will spin it around and melt it. Without the bits going through the pump; it’s designed to prevent that. The food particles will then fall out the drain hole once they are neutrally buoyant.

I have done this with mine for many years, long before the Keg portion was even a consideration.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We update the current lead time on the site regularly so best to check there for up to date info.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AVAST Marine, as the mixing tube is a piece of schedule 40 PVC is it possible to lengthen the tube so that the whole assembly could sit on top of a canopy with a hole drilled in it so that the tube can go down into the water?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AVAST Marine, as the mixing tube is a piece of schedule 40 PVC is it possible to lengthen the tube so that the whole assembly could sit on top of a canopy with a hole drilled in it so that the tube can go down into the water?

Yes it is, please email us and we will work with you to get measurements for this custom order.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is, please email us and we will work with you to get measurements for this custom order.

Cool. One last question, i didn't see it on the site (but I may have missed it), what is the width or diameter of the keg?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t go into videos and showing how it works as it’s already enough documented . I shall give my honest opinion - this has got to be the best gadget Avast has made !!!!
Am an Avast fan boy but even me is blown away by the precision of this machine .
Foods I have tried :-

1. TDO 1 mm pellets
2. Hikari marine
3. NLS Thera A
4. Panta rhei nouri polyp
5. PE pellets 1 mm
6. Benepets
7. Reef roids
8. Easy reefs Sps evo
9. BRS rotifer powder
10. BRS Spirulina
11. Fauna marine gorgonian foods

Phewww !! That’s a lot . I should stop buying foods

Every time it dropped exact amount and depending on time small quantities . Quiet as hell .
Even foods like BRS rotifers that float are delivered sinking !!!!

If you don’t order this now , you are missing out on one of the greatest gadgets ...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back