New Avast Marine Auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by adding the "If Output AFpump = OFF Then OFF" line the feeder is only on when the pump is on even if the code tells it to turn on for 30 seconds every hour? I like that, the number of feedings can be controlled by the pump programming, "AFpump" in your case.

That is correct both by adding that line and putting it after the lines that turn it on I ensure that the feeder while not be turned on by code if the pump is off

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mines last week and have been running it since. I have used a few auto feeders in the past and the plank is by far the best. I love feeding LRS frozen food and before I would have to defrost in a cup and then feed the tank. With this I can just pop a piece of frozen in the chamber. Let it defrost for 5 minutes and then turn the pump on. I also have their kalk reactor/stirrer and it is very easy to maintain. Thank you Avast for making some great products! =)

o7mei5I.jpg

eX3Lmdu.jpg

Last edited:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mines last week and have been running it since. I have used a few auto feeders in the past and the plank is by far the best. I love feeding LRS frozen food and before I would have to defrost in a cup and then feed the tank. With this I can just pop a piece of frozen in the chamber. Let it defrost for 5 minutes and then turn the pump on. I also have their kalk reactor/stirrer and it is very easy to maintain. Thank you Avast for making some great products! =)

o7mei5I.jpg

Curiosity question: What's the purpose of the netting on the edge of your tank?

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiosity question: What's the purpose of the netting on the edge of your tank?

I have a DD jumpguard on my rimless tank that I cut the netting in the middle out for easier access to my tank for dosing, wc, scraping algae off the glass, feeding, increased par, etc... The outside netting acts as a eurobrace to keep the fish from jumping out of the tank.

ZddlanW.jpg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DD jumpguard on my rimless tank that I cut the netting in the middle out for easier access to my tank for dosing, wc, scraping algae off the glass, feeding, increased par, etc... The outside netting acts as a eurobrace to keep the fish from jumping out of the tank.

ZddlanW.jpg
I actually understand that! I don't know if Eurobrace tanks were designed taking that into consideration, but it seems to me that most fish actually exit a tank at the edge of the tank. I'm messing with something similar...

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have users of the plank found to be the best food to load in their feeder? I'm also going to try something "new to me" starting today, I'm going to have the feeder run for a minute then let the food sit in the tube for 2 minutes then turn the pump on (I'll admit that I'm a bit lazy and the instructions may actually say to do this). This way the food will have some time to soak up water before being put in the water column. Does any one have any ideas that could help other users?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know a smart plug that can be programmed for seconds. The one I have has a minimum of 1 minute, and I would like a 30 second on/off cycle.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This timer is programmable down to seconds, it is not "smart" but a really ingenious stand alone timer:

On amazon search:
Nearpow Multifunctional Infinite Cycle Programmable Plug-in Digital Timer Switch with 3-Prong Outlet for Appliances, 15A/1800W

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some tricks people are using to quiet the pump some? I am noticing this little pump is the loudest thing on my tank I leave it on 24/7 right now, but unless there is some trick, I will put it on a programmer I guess.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some tricks people are using to quiet the pump some? I am noticing this little pump is the loudest thing on my tank I leave it on 24/7 right now, but unless there is some trick, I will put it on a programmer I guess.
Yes, mine was loud too... I put it on a timer.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can capture the sound in a video, send it to us at support @avastmarine.com. The pump should be really close to silent, but I have heard some get noisy sometimes. Check to see if the impeller is clean also- that might cause the noise. Did yours make noise from the start, or did this develop over time? I just updated my plank tube but used my 4 year old pump (exact same model) and it seemed completely silent to my ears. But then again my tank is out in the garage (in-wall setup) and there are other noises out there that might make it hard to hear.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited. I just ordered mine yesterday. I will no longer be able to go home between jobs and feed my fish so I had to find something that would work, and this device seems amazing. I can't wait to get it in a month.

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attaching a pdf of the dimensions for anyone considering how to integrate it with their screen top. FWIW, I have been using mine with a screen top since 2016, and I considered this a must-have feature when designing the coupling between the keg & plank portions. The keg locks into the plank in such a way that a roughly 1/4" thick screen can sit on top of the plank, and the keg can rest on top of the screen lid yet still engage the slots in the plank. Some people have made cutouts in their lid for the entire plank, rather than allowing the screen to rest on top.

That looks pretty good. Let me know how it works. If there is still a gap that small fish can get through, we can probably make a similar size that integrates better with the plank opening. Maybe a few peg-and-hole aligners between the plank rim and the screen ring? I don't want to simply copy that company's design, so maybe they'll work with us to make a complimentary version of their product.

Justin,

This looks amazing and I really want this. Trying to figure out the screen and apologize if I'm being dense.

From the first quote, does the screen sit between the two sections but it still works? Can I remove the screen to get into the tank without disassembling anything? I am constantly removing my screen, whether to move a coral that fell or target feed something. If I can slide the screen in and out it makes things very easy.

This is how my screen sits now on the eurobracing.

16066240388187722342615851492073.jpg

If not, does this second design fix things? From what I can see, unless I'm missing something, you almost need a custom screen that excludes the plank, like this.

received_866427114169296.jpeg

Thanks,
Roni

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a “grinding” noise on their little whirlpool motor pump that stirs up the water column? Installed mine yesterday and it works great, but it doesn’t sound like the little pump will last very long at this rate.

Just wondering if there are any tips/tricks

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin,

This looks amazing and I really want this. Trying to figure out the screen and apologize if I'm being dense.

From the first quote, does the screen sit between the two sections but it still works? Can I remove the screen to get into the tank without disassembling anything? I am constantly removing my screen, whether to move a coral that fell or target feed something. If I can slide the screen in and out it makes things very easy.

This is how my screen sits now on the eurobracing.

16066240388187722342615851492073.jpg

If not, does this second design fix things? From what I can see, unless I'm missing something, you almost need a custom screen that excludes the plank, like this.

received_866427114169296.jpeg

Thanks,
Roni

From that picture it is really hard to tell how exactly your screen is sitting. There is room for the screen to sit in between the plank and the feeder assembly, you would still need to remove the feeder to remove the screen. We are working on a custom extrusion that would allow you to insert a Plank opening similar to the custom one shown above that fits standard screen profiles and I think that is what a lot of people will want. I don't have even a rough timeline of when that would be released at this point so some sort of custom solution would probably be needed to make it work for you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back