New Avast Marine Auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am loving mine after a couple weeks in use. Feeding BRS freeze dried Mysis. Using this dual socket wifi timer.

Works well. Mounted over MP40, was thinking I'd move it to the back, but it actually looks fine out front IMO. I have a super quiet living room so I could barely hear the mixer powerhead when it was running 24/7, very slight high pitched whine. I have the dual plug set to fire the pump 5 min before, run the feeder for 1 min, then turn the pump off 15 min later. Feeding twice a day. It's super quiet, I hear the relay in the plug kick on, and that's the only way I know it's running (again, the pump had a slight whine I could hear when I was searching for it).

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attaching a pdf of the dimensions for anyone considering how to integrate it with their screen top. FWIW, I have been using mine with a screen top since 2016, and I considered this a must-have feature when designing the coupling between the keg & plank portions. The keg locks into the plank in such a way that a roughly 1/4" thick screen can sit on top of the plank, and the keg can rest on top of the screen lid yet still engage the slots in the plank. Some people have made cutouts in their lid for the entire plank, rather than allowing the screen to rest on top.
Can you please take a screen shot of your tank so I can what you’re taking about? I’m having sizing issues with my cover and I’m trying to work around it. Can the feeder be installed in my sump? Thank you.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AVAST Marine
My hood sits on top of tank with euro bracing. The place the plank would attach is the hood opening that is 3” above the euro bracing. It would then need to extend our 4”.

I assume this configuration would work with the XL plank although less than ideal given the tube would supply the outward force on the euro brace while the plank would apply the inward force on the hood.

will this work?
image.jpg

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AVAST Marine
My hood sits on top of tank with euro bracing. The place the plank would attach is the hood opening that is 3” above the euro bracing. It would then need to extend our 4”.

I assume this configuration would work with the XL plank although less than ideal given the tube would supply the outward force on the euro brace while the plank would apply the inward force on the hood.

will this work?
image.jpg

If you create a "spacer block" the same height as the back frame and width of the exposed eurobrace and glue or screw it to the back frame then you can use a longer plank tube to reach the water, the Plank will clamp to the space block from the front and grab the back of the frame. Probably doesn't even need to be glued on, the Plank should clamp it in place just fine.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you create a "spacer block" the same height as the back frame and width of the exposed eurobrace and glue or screw it to the back frame then you can use a longer plank tube to reach the water, the Plank will clamp to the space block from the front and grab the back of the frame. Probably doesn't even need to be glued on, the Plank should clamp it in place just fine.
Thanks! Placing order today!

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone else having issues with the pump clogging up often?

I’m just using flake food and it’s been every couple of weeks to a month the pump gets clogged.

Any ideas to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone else having issues with the pump clogging up often?

I’m just using flake food and it’s been every couple of weeks to a month the pump gets clogged.

Any ideas to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

I believe the pump was designed for pellet food, not flake food. Suggest you switch...

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it depends a little on the food, some flake has binders/fillers which will be more prone to causing pump clogging (actually binding). I do use flake exclusively in a plank for my freshwater tank and do not use a mixing pump there. There is no overflow so if it floats it is fine.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it depends a little on the food, some flake has binders/fillers which will be more prone to causing pump clogging (actually binding). I do use flake exclusively in a plank for my freshwater tank and do not use a mixing pump there. There is no overflow so if it floats it is fine.
If the tube goes down in to the water a couple inches, is there a real need for the pump? Won’t the food just sink eventually and then get blown around?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the animals you have in the tank. A few little wrasse do a pretty good job of keeping the water moving in the feed tube, a bully tang might guard the pipe when it senses the motor vibration. The pump is a way of keeping the water mixed, rehydrating the food and dispersing it quickly to ensure the most consistent feeding in a variety of tank situations. There are a few times when it is not needed for sure. It's pretty easy to take out and give it a try!

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that we're finally caught up on Planks for the first time since they were released about this time last year. So there's no lead time and they'll ship within 24 hours! If you're planning on a vacation this summer, you might give it a look. If we sell out of the in-stock units, I'll update the website with the new lead time. Happy Reefing!
-Justin

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that we're finally caught up on Planks for the first time since they were released about this time last year. So there's no lead time and they'll ship within 24 hours! If you're planning on a vacation this summer, you might give it a look. If we sell out of the in-stock units, I'll update the website with the new lead time. Happy Reefing!
-Justin
Can't wait for mine to come in!

Last edited:

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine a few days ago and I gotta say it’s awesome! It’s right next to my return so I don’t need the pump or insert. Loaded with flakes, roids and pellets. Perfect gap filller during the day when I can’t feed fresh/frozen.

and this thing is precise!!

thanks Dan and Justin!

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Justin
Any Australian distributors?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Justin
Thanks for the update and order placed!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water pump is not a gentle stir, in fact, it's pretty torrential inside the little cylinder and food immediately gets shot out of the bottom. Is that normal?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back