New Avast Marine Calcium Reactor

ScottB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I will build this chart when I get back in town.

No need for this. It can go next to the sump, or really anywhere you want within about 4ft of head pressure below the sump (i.e., try not to make it pump more than 4ft uphill)

Yes, you're definitely in the range where a calcium reactor will save you money over two part. You should consider kalk dosing as well. The two systems complement each other nicely.

Happy New Year everyone!
Thank you. The kalk dose is to manage pH levels correct? Or other purpose? And aside from trial and error, are these “dosing” processes monitored or controlled by a controller of any kind? Happy to read up if you can shoot a link. Thanks.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Got mine back to Malaysia but haven’t set it up yet. We just found out we’re moving the end of the month so I have to break down my whole tank anyway. Never moved a tank before. Should be interesting.

Mrx7899

View Badges
Reaction score
Its here ! The build quality is very nice like all my other avast products. Going to try and install it tonight. I'm Intrested to see how this new design compares to my old calcium reactor.
15786812877632207439360779684517.jpg
15786815413673755299340456747424.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Well... I did something that I never do. I ordered this with the secondary chamber and I have no idea how I am going to control it. I like to have a plan in place to make sure it is what I need but... my 2-part usage is out of control, I love the stuff I've gotten from Avast, and this design fascinates me.

Sounds like the next batch is in production so I have a few weeks to figure out what I will need to integrate this into my Profilux.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it took so long, but it all just clicked. I don't know why I struggled so much to figure out how the input and output flows could be matched. I guess I assumed there must be some form of venting because of the CO2.

Now to start getting everything else I need to make it work with a little protection built in.

ScottB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I keep saying I am going to move over to CaRx as I am ESV dosing over 500ml a day across two systems.

But then I hear that many CaRx users are also dosing 2 part and Kalk to keep ALK stable and manage pH. That feels like adding two more maintenance tasks and failure points. (Actually four in my case.)

I'll just keep reading up on the adventures of others while my basement fills up with empty ESV buckets.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I keep saying I am going to move over to CaRx as I am ESV dosing over 500ml a day across two systems.

But then I hear that many CaRx users are also dosing 2 part and Kalk to keep ALK stable and manage pH. That feels like adding two more maintenance tasks and failure points. (Actually four in my case.)

I'll just keep reading up on the adventures of others while my basement fills up with empty ESV buckets.
My Profilux should help automatically control the CaRx so I'm hoping to get away from the 2 part completely.

Mrx7899

View Badges
Reaction score
It's been running great nice steady drip rate very quiet haven't had a problem with it at all. Running it at 6.7 and its keeping up with the demand of 225 gallon tank that's sps dominate with a few large colonies. One thing is that its completely fully of water avast said that it was fine.

ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH THE EQUIPMENT YOU HAVE RUNNING ON YOUR REEF TANK NOW?

• Yes I'm satisfied

Votes: 152 43.9%
  • Somewhat satisfied but I want to add more in the future

Votes: 165 47.7%
  • No not satisfied

Votes: 29 8.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Live Fish Food Combo Packs - AlgaeBarn.com
Corals.com