New Biota Mandarins and Yellow tang!

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, these cuties just came in today! First fish for my wife’s rebooted tank. So far, everyone seems happy, although the tiny tang is quite skittish!

BTW, would you add anything else? It’s a Fluval M90. Only has these 3 fish and a black molly. To avoid offending the Tang Police, the yellow will move to my 92gal when it gets bigger. Thinking something small that won’t eat on the pod population.

Thanks @Biota_Marine !

(excuse the dirty glass)

1585DA39-7A7A-4737-B70F-B447DA559D1C.jpeg
CDDB8321-4878-49DE-BC26-3FB23D5C15A1.jpeg
D2DC9F3F-E932-4274-B98A-50D4F8759A99.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your Biota Mandrarins eating prepared food, like Biota claims?

Thanks

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are your Biota Mandrarins eating prepared food, like Biota claims?

Thanks

I'd like to know this as well as well as how big they are. I want to add one to my 60 gallon.

I'm thinking about getting a breeder/acclimation box to keep one in for the first few weeks/month to make it easier to target feed some frozen calanus and TDO B2 pellets.

Right now I'm trying my hand at culturing copepods and phyto to see if I can get a nice healthy copepod population in the tank, but I'd like to not have to rely on that just in case.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! How’s the yellow settling in? I have a yellow and 3 rainfords gobies coming in on the 7th

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a breeder/acclimation box to keep one in for the first few weeks/month to make it easier to target feed some frozen calanus and TDO B2 pellets.
You could also use the box just at feeding times and train him to go to it to eat. Then he can cruise around and not be stuck in the box.

A lot of times the challenge isn't getting them to eat frozen, it's keeping food in front of them long enough for them to eat it without it being stolen. They will never compete for food or take it out of the water column the same as other fish. So it's hard to keep them fed when not isolated or trained.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! How’s the yellow settling in? I have a yellow and 3 rainfords gobies coming in on the 7th
I had a good experience with Biota

One time I bought one of their micro yellow tangs, and it was still not colored up

He was cool, put on weight real fast and it colored up as it grew

Had to take it to my LFS over time, our old purple tang was going to pester the little yellow to death

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I have not been keeping up. So far the Yellow Tang is doing well. It is eating algae off the rocks/back of tank and also goes for pellets. The mandarins are doing well. I had ordered a long feeding tool (Julian's Thing), but it has been back ordered. They seem to be happy scooting around and picking at the pods in the tank. I also broadcast feed frozen bbs, but I can't say if they are eating it. Hopefully my order will come soon so I can try and target feed them.

Over all, they seem to be good, but they give me a scare a lot. They are so small at the 3/4 inch size they easily disappear in the tank. They also blend in really well with the rocks! If I had put them in my 92 DT, I would never see them at this size.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back