New BTA

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new beautiful Green BTA today. He has been acclimated to the water in my tank and honestly seems really happy. He has settled into a crevice with a slight overhang above him and until the lights started dimming for the night he was opened up nicely. However I know this is too good to be true and that he is gonna start wandering as soon as I get ready to go to sleep. I have the sleeves over my gyre that came with it to keep him from getting up in there tonight but I am wondering if I should even leave it on.. can someone out there give me a few tips for BTA safety within the first few days he is in the tank? I really would appreciate it guys.. I dont want to wake up to a mess in my tank. Sorry that I don't have a picture to share with you guys yet. I will get one in the morning when the lights come back up..

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't adjust your flow outside of what you normally run it at. If you turn the pumps off while he finds a spot he may decide to move again once they come back on. As long as it's covered you should be ok.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't adjust your flow outside of what you normally run it at. If you turn the pumps off while he finds a spot he may decide to move again once they come back on. As long as it's covered you should be ok.
With just that little mesh cover that there send? He has already gotten up there on it and I cut it off real quick but he was just hanging from it.. scared the hell outta me

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just that little mesh cover that there send? He has already gotten up there on it and I cut it off real quick but he was just hanging from it.. scared the hell outta me

Not sure what they give with a gyre, I don't have one. All of my powerheads have had little foam rings that you slide over them to keep the fish and critters out.

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, these ain't foam. It looks like a fishnet stocking of some sort, lol

Not sure then. When I put my BTA in my tank he spent a couple days walking around but never left my rocks. At one point he made a good 10 laps around a shelf (over the top, then under and back around again) before he decided to plant his food into a hole in one of the bigger rocks under the shelf.

Did yours climb across the sand and up the glass or could he reach the gyre from the rock?

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure then. When I put my BTA in my tank he spent a couple days walking around but never left my rocks. At one point he made a good 10 laps around a shelf (over the top, then under and back around again) before he decided to plant his food into a hole in one of the bigger rocks under the shelf.

Did yours climb across the sand and up the glass or could he reach the gyre from the rock?
He climbed up the glass to it. Twice now

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided that I don't trust the fishnet stockings to keep the anemone out. So what do you do when you do t trust the guard you got? You make new ones..

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I come up with. The gyre was I my running at 10% so I put the needle point mesh around it and turned it up to 20%. Flow is virtually the same and I do t have to worry about waking up to a green mess in the morning.

#winning... lol

20170819_233508.jpg

20170819_233452.jpg

20170819_233446.jpg

20170819_233508.jpg

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fishnet like screen to cover my ph. Mine settle on a rock the first day. Overnight, it moved down into a crevice. The next day, I bounced some flow into the crevice. It stretched the body around the rock and upward while the foot stayed in place. It stayed there ever since. It never wander off, possibly because I adjust the flow so that it doesn't get strong flow. Good luck

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fishnet like screen to cover my ph. Mine settle on a rock the first day. Overnight, it moved down into a crevice. The next day, I bounced some flow into the crevice. It stretched the body around the rock and upward while the foot stayed in place. It stayed there ever since. It never wander off, possibly because I adjust the flow so that it doesn't get strong flow. Good luck
Thanks, I'm actually still awake now watching to make sure the screen works so I can crash... lol. Hopefully he settles in after a few days

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. The only thing with the mesh is you want it to be removable for cleaning once debris from the water column gets lodged in it. On my mp40, I just used the foam guards and rotated one in and clean one every other day or so.

Moving anemone is just something you live with by having an anemone. It could happen at any time.

Although with stable conditions, it should not move once it has found a spot. They can go for years in same spot though.

One trick with my last three btas was to find a small/med rock with a hollowed area and place them into it before putting them in to the tank. Two slid off a couple inches on to rocks next to where they were placed and one is still on the same rock 4 months later with no signs of moving while doubling in size. If they are healthy to begin with and you picked a good spot for them in your tank, they likely will just move a little, instead of full detaching and floating around the tank (in to powerheads).

Pic?

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He moved to a spot opposite of the gyre side of the tank. I think he is still a little bit uneasy after the move yesterday because he is on the backside of the tank. He doesn't seem to be really stressed to me thought.. but then again I am no expert. What do you guys think..

20170820_160812.jpg

20170820_160733.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. I'd just let it wander for awhile and watch it.
Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye on him. He hasn't moved all day but I know that once the sunset begins he will be on the move again.. lol. He is actually pretty big when he opens up. Not bad for 40 buck I thought. I also picked up 2 frags of GSP to put on an island off the the side.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back